Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Also interested in this..
I never run less than 93 in mine but From what I understand the Auto octane tune will learn up to E30, and that would be awesome. Be able to add a little E85 (when available) to a tank of 93 and see some gains.
ZFG's 91/93 tunes will also accept up to an E30 mix. Since so many claim that their tunes will take an E30 mix, I wouldn't be surprised if FORD made the ST's E30 capable from the factory and the tuners are just taking advantage of that.

Reactions
Didn't know there were more out there that do the adjustable tune and are recommended for the ST. Would you say the tune is on par with ZFG or Monster?

Have you done any Dragy run before and after the tune?

I have an SCT X4 that I used on my 2 previous Explorer Sports. Would I be able to use it with the GearHead tune? I've read that transmission tuning with the X4 isn't nearly as good from what ZFG uses.
You could order up both an AO tune and a PE30 tune for less than the ZFG tune, since you have the X4 already. I’m using an X4 to load up my Gearhead tunes. I haven’t run the ZFG tune, so can’t personally comment on their comparison. I will say that after data logging 91, 94 and E30 on the GearHead AO tune didn’t need a single revision. It’s also within a 10th in the 1/4 of the BoostKing and Unleashed dedicated tunes when comparing on 94 octane. Like I said above, VERY impressed.

I do also have tunes from BoostKing and Unleashed that are dedicated octane tunes (91 and 94 with each tuner). I really like my BK tune as it has a more aggressive toe in and the shifting is nice and sporty, even in normal mode. The Unleashed tune is similar, but pushes the turbos a little harder up top. I use my MPVI2 to load these tunes, but they are both able to also tune on SCT.

There is NO difference in trans tuning ability between SCT and HPT. That is super old news when SCT didn’t have some tables unlocked for the 10speeds and HPT did. Hasn’t been that way for 2 years now.

All three of these tuners have tuned my extensively modified 3.5 F150 and have been in eco game for a long time. I would recommend BK if you want a dedicated octane tune and GearHead if you’re looking for an AO tune.

Lots of great options on this platform!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions
ZFG's 91/93 tunes will also accept up to an E30 mix. Since so many claim that their tunes will take an E30 mix, I wouldn't be surprised if FORD made the ST's E30 capable from the factory and the tuners are just taking advantage of that.
It’s similar as other eco platforms and even with brands like Subie and Audi. E30 is pretty much the limit to keep fuel trims happy. Any more than that without a tune set to use it and you can see a lean code (obviously, if you want to go beyond E50 on this platform, prepare to have the fuel system or a dialed down tune)

Reactions
Anyone tried the ZFG auto octane tune? Can't seem to find any reviews of the auto octane tune. Any insight or just go with dedicated 93 tune n make sure the wife puts the right gas in at fill ups? Wife mostly drives it. Reason I was thinking of the auto octane tune is if 93 octane sky rockets again which I'm sure is around the corner I can throw 87 in n not worry about it and still feel a difference with trans tuning n slight performance bump over stock.

Debating on that or the Monster Tuned Auto-X tune. A few people say they are impressed with the tune. Seems they are very responsive and customer service is top notch. Anyone with their tune have any complaints or positive things to say after having the tune awhile now. Any Dragy results on it with different octanes?

Is the ZFG auto octane tune worth $200 over the Monster Tuned Auto-X?

I have the auto oct tune from ZFG. Completely satisfied. I'm not a techie but have found the TDN system easy to use. I will admit there is some anxiety when you hit the "write" button to load the tune. Tune delivered what Adam promises, he responds to questions and the shifting alone is worth the money, the extra 75 WHP is just a bonus. I did not have ZFG do any of the showing of gear all the time, or auto start/stop disable stuff, I have the auto stop/start Elimenator for that. Whipple IC, Steeda all around inc tower brace. Don't race it, no Draggy bragging rights, just a stupid smile on my face when I have open road to let her stretch her legs.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
You could order up both an AO tune and a PE30 tune for less than the ZFG tune, since you have the X4 already. I’m using an X4 to load up my Gearhead tunes. I haven’t run the ZFG tune, so can’t personally comment on their comparison. I will say that after data logging 91, 94 and E30 on the GearHead AO tune didn’t need a single revision. It’s also within a 10th in the 1/4 of the BoostKing and Unleashed dedicated tunes when comparing on 94 octane. Like I said above, VERY impressed.

I do also have tunes from BoostKing and Unleashed that are dedicated octane tunes (91 and 94 with each tuner). I really like my BK tune as it has a more aggressive toe in and the shifting is nice and sporty, even in normal mode. The Unleashed tune is similar, but pushes the turbos a little harder up top. I use my MPVI2 to load these tunes, but they are both able to also tune on SCT.

All three of these tuners have tuned my extensively modified 3.5 F150 and have been in eco game for a long time. I would recommend BK if you want a dedicated octane tune and GearHead if you’re looking for an AO tune.

Lots of great options on this platform!

Thanks. Used Unleashed for my 2 previous Explorer Sports but thought the SCT X4 was outdated for this application so I looked elsewhere and at the HP tuners device thinking it was my only option.

Reactions
Thanks. Used Unleashed for my 2 previous Explorer Sports but thought the SCT X4 was outdated for this application so I looked elsewhere and at the HP tuners device thinking it was my only option.
Torrie will tune your ST with the HPT device as well. He is well versed on both platforms.

Reactions
Anyone tried the ZFG auto octane tune? Can't seem to find any reviews of the auto octane tune. Any insight or just go with dedicated 93 tune n make sure the wife puts the right gas in at fill ups? Wife mostly drives it. Reason I was thinking of the auto octane tune is if 93 octane sky rockets again which I'm sure is around the corner I can throw 87 in n not worry about it and still feel a difference with trans tuning n slight performance bump over stock.

Debating on that or the Monster Tuned Auto-X tune. A few people say they are impressed with the tune. Seems they are very responsive and customer service is top notch. Anyone with their tune have any complaints or positive things to say after having the tune awhile now. Any Dragy results on it with different octanes?

Is the ZFG auto octane tune worth $200 over the Monster Tuned Auto-X?

Appreciate your help guys
Nobody with the monster x tune has posted any times, so hard to really make a concrete conclusion. Having run ZFG I would say absolutely worth the extra money. I would advise going with the auto octane tune if someone else is putting gas in it. Better safe than sorry.
Didn't know there were more out there that do the adjustable tune and are recommended for the ST. Would you say the tune is on par with ZFG or Monster?

Have you done any Dragy run before and after the tune?

I have an SCT X4 that I used on my 2 previous Explorer Sports. Would I be able to use it with the GearHead tune? I've read that transmission tuning with the X4 isn't nearly as good from what ZFG uses.
I went with Gearhead AO tune when I bought my ST because I had used them for years with my SHO, and I already had the SCT device. AO tune was $150 last time I checked, but I bought that and an E30 tune at same time for $250.

Everything else stock, AO tune ran 12.43 (dragy) best in perfect air. I added intercooler and AFE intake at same time I switched over to the E30 tune, best time I saw at track was 11.997. Best dragy on mexican streets I ever got was 12.01.

If you aren't looking for every last tenth, gearhead is great and easy to use. I am looking for every last tenth, so in May of this year I got a ZFG E50 tune. One revision and it ran 11.82 on the tough mexican streets. There's a good reason there's a flood of people saying ZFG every time someone asks which tune they should use.

I'd love to see some dragy or track slips from other tuners, but usually all you get are butt dyno reports.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Nobody with the monster x tune has posted any times, so hard to really make a concrete conclusion. Having run ZFG I would say absolutely worth the extra money. I would advise going with the auto octane tune if someone else is putting gas in it. Better safe than sorry.

I went with Gearhead AO tune when I bought my ST because I had used them for years with my SHO, and I already had the SCT device. AO tune was $150 last time I checked, but I bought that and an E30 tune at same time for $250.

Everything else stock, AO tune ran 12.43 (dragy) best in perfect air. I added intercooler and AFE intake at same time I switched over to the E30 tune, best time I saw at track was 11.997. Best dragy on mexican streets I ever got was 12.01.

If you aren't looking for every last tenth, gearhead is great and easy to use. I am looking for every last tenth, so in May of this year I got a ZFG E50 tune. One revision and it ran 11.82 on the tough mexican streets. There's a good reason there's a flood of people saying ZFG every time someone asks which tune they should use.

I'd love to see some dragy or track slips from other tuners, but usually all you get are butt dyno reports.
How was the transmission tuning with the GearHead AO tune? Would you say the tune was good overall or any complaints with it?

Thanks

Reactions
How was the transmission tuning with the GearHead AO tune? Would you say the tune was good overall or any complaints with it?

Thanks
Much smoother than stock. Honestly loved the tune, only reason I tried ZFG was to shut up all the people that kept commenting "switch to zfg if you want to go quicker" on my youtube videos. Turned out they were actually right this time.

I run the ZFG E50 tune 95% of the time, but if I go on a long trip somewhere and can't find ethanol I switch over to the gearhead auto octane tune.

Reactions

Thanks
I really like the Gearhead shifting. It’s smooth but still nice and quick. They ramp up nicely as you increase throttle. Gearhead is known for spending a lot of time on refining the shift strategy. I like my BoostKing shifting as well, but it is more “sporty” and they are more noticeable even in normal mode. Gives you a bit of a different driving experience without having to go to sport mode all the time.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Much smoother than stock. Honestly loved the tune, only reason I tried ZFG was to shut up all the people that kept commenting "switch to zfg if you want to go quicker" on my youtube videos. Turned out they were actually right this time.

I run the ZFG E50 tune 95% of the time, but if I go on a long trip somewhere and can't find ethanol I switch over to the gearhead auto octane tune.
Yeah I'm not looking to be the fastest ST for now lol and would be happy with how quick yours is on the AO tune. Definitely not testing E content and mixing so the adjustable tune seems like the best option

I really like the Gearhead shifting. It’s smooth but still nice and quick. They ramp up nicely as you increase throttle. Gearhead is known for spending a lot of time on refining the shift strategy. I like my BoostKing shifting as well, but it is more “sporty” and they are more noticeable even in normal mode. Gives you a bit of a different driving experience without having to go to sport mode all the time.

I'll probably go GearHead as BoostKing is double the price for just the tune. Glad they have the shifts worked out.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
interesting. I may throw few gallons of E85 in my 3/4 full tank of 93 and see if i can feel a difference.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
interesting. I may throw few gallons of E85 in my 3/4 full tank of 93 and see if i can feel a difference.
If you just throw a few gallons in it and run a Dragy for example, you're going to be disappointed. The ST doesn't have a real-time ethanol sensor. The ECU can quickly adjust the AFR via the wide-band O2 sensors, to adjust for ethanol for stoichiometric, but it also needs EGO to try to sense the amount of ethanol in the fuel which takes longer. It's also factoring in short and long-term trims. Nearly all manufacturers since 2016 will adapt to an E30 mix without any problems. (There's an IEEE paper on this).

However- it just cannot immediately adjust boost and timing to take advantage. If you listen to certain tuners, they would lead you to believe that you can do exactly what you mention- just dump in ethanol and you magically gain 50 hp. All of these tuners talking about automatic tuning don't seem to mention that the ethanol content sensing is already in place in the programming. They can take advantage of certain control strategies, but it isn't their magic.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If you just throw a few gallons in it and run a Dragy for example, you're going to be disappointed. The ST doesn't have a real-time ethanol sensor. The ECU can quickly adjust the AFR via the wide-band O2 sensors, to adjust for ethanol for stoichiometric, but it also needs EGO to try to sense the amount of ethanol in the fuel which takes longer. It's also factoring in short and long-term trims. Nearly all manufacturers since 2016 will adapt to an E30 mix without any problems. (There's an IEEE paper on this).

However- it just cannot immediately adjust boost and timing to take advantage. If you listen to certain tuners, they would lead you to believe that you can do exactly what you mention- just dump in ethanol and you magically gain 50 hp. All of these tuners talking about automatic tuning don't seem to mention that the ethanol content sensing is already in place in the programming. They can take advantage of certain control strategies, but it isn't their magic.
I wasn't talking about dumping a few gallons of E85 and then stomping off into it. I remember the 2016 mustang GT i had with a Lund racing Flex Fuel tune would notice when you added fuel to the tank and go in to a learning mode to learn octane / Ethanol content up to E70 i believe. I figured it want much the same for us if the programing is in the ECU already. So i was going to add a few Gallons of E85 then cruise around for several miles to let it learn and then stomp off into it. lolI don't have a draggy just seat of the pants excitement feeling.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The "butt dyno" is not an objective performance measurement. However, @I Bleed Ford Blue is right. As I mentioned nearly all vehicles since '16 will handle E30 from the factory. Whether that amount of ethanol will increase performance is a different matter.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST

Bobsbluest

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I went to the dragstrip yesterday. The ST had 93 in the tank. I did 2 1/4 mile passes. Both were almost identical. 13.80 at 99 mph. I put in the 5 star 93 performance tune and raced the rest of the night with it. Best times consistently at 13.24, 13.23 at 102.xx. I could not get it any faster. My 60 foot at 1.87 best. Launched at about 2,500-2,800 rpm.

Reactions
I went to the dragstrip yesterday. The ST had 93 in the tank. I did 2 1/4 mile passes. Both were almost identical. 13.80 at 99 mph. I put in the 5 star 93 performance tune and raced the rest of the night with it. Best times consistently at 13.24, 13.23 at 102.xx. I could not get it any faster. My 60 foot at 1.87 best. Launched at about 2,500-2,800 rpm.

Ouch

Reactions
Oh boy, that’s not a great improvement at all. I’m going to assume that you have a X4 SCT device if you went with 5*. If that’s the case, order up the AO tune from Gearhead or a dedicated octane tune from Unleashed and you’ll see some much improved times.

Explorer ST Posts