Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just curious as to what weight was the 10R60 rated at with the torque ratings.

I know the TR-3160 from the GT350 was rated for 400 lbs of torque yet the ATS-V and GT350 easily surpass that. Given that it was rated for a 6,600lbs vehicle at that rating, it's perfectly fine. The Explorer is not lightweight tho.

Wow! Was that done on a ST Adam/ZFG?
Yes, that’s one of Theo’s dyno pulls.

V8bait

Reactions
Exactly.... here is an example of managing torque on an st.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
That's the nicest graph I've seen but still quite higher than advertised limits, which is totally fine by me for those currently pushing the platform.

I meant no disrespect but just about every dyno I've seen has a big torque peak down low followed by a steep fall off. I understand holding back the turbo potential but most I've seen aren't anywhere near that linear. Very nice work on that one.

Here's one of the N54 cars I've done for a shop with what I'm talking about, nice and flat like the one you posted.

804.jpg
847whp-dyno-chart.jpg

Your last statement is absolutely untrue. The good tuners are not “just pushing torque out”…they’re actually holding it back. They’re capable of much more then the good tuners are throwing at them.
They also do know what’s safe for the driveline which is why they’re holding back where it’s needed.
I disagree, here's a dyno of a tuned ST vs stock, I see a lot done like this and it's not anything that I'm interested in. 5 star tuning but seems other tuners do this a lot here.

E50-perf-VS-93-perf-VS-93-octane-stock-HP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
That's the nicest graph I've seen but still quite higher than advertised limits, which is totally fine by me for those currently pushing the platform.

I meant no disrespect but just about every dyno I've seen has a big torque peak down low followed by a steep fall off. I understand holding back the turbo potential but most I've seen aren't anywhere near that linear. Very nice work on that one.

Here's one of the N54 cars I've done for a shop with what I'm talking about, nice and flat like the one you posted.

Of course we're going to be pushing it above the limits the 10r60 is only rated for 600 NM (442 ft-lbs)f input torque. But that's at full life expectancy, and full Duty including towing and everything else. You have to remember this thing has a 5600 pound tow rating on top of the 5000 lb suv. You really can't compare it to a car transmission these are much more heavy-duty and robust design because of the tow rating. Of course you don't just get to add power to these things for free everything comes at cost over the life of the trans. Long term the increase in torque isn't going have a huge impact as long as the car is being cared for and you're not doing something like Towing on a performance tune. Everything is built with a factor of safety we are simply eating into that factor of safety in terms of the important torque.

This is very similar the the 10r80, 800nm 590 ft-lbs input torque rating. They are regularly pushed over 600 ft-lbs to the wheels. Infact we really don't start seeing long-term issues with the them until 750 foot pounds at the wheels.

We all know we are pushing the platform. The stock trans has been holding up just fine to around 530 ft-lb at the wheels. That's typically what I limit the torque to. The dyno chart above is from a bigger turbo st that's the record holder for et and trap speed. At the time of the dyno it was on the stock transmission and now it is on a built transmission.

The biggest downfall I have seen with these Transmissions is Tunes I have the transmission shifting extremely soft. Generally speaking the softer the shift the more time you're spending "on the clutches". Ie when the clutches are slipping to hand off to the next great. The longer they slip the more wear and tear in the more heat you build etc.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions

View attachment 6440
View attachment 6441

I disagree, here's a dyno of a tuned ST vs stock, I see a lot done like this and it's not anything that I'm interested in. 5 star tuning but seems other tuners do this a lot here.

View attachment 6442
I said good tuners. I don’t put 5 Star on that list.

V8bait

Reactions
Of course we're going to be pushing it above the limits the 10r60 is only rated for 600 NM (442 ft-lbs)f input torque. But that's at full life expectancy, and full Duty including towing and everything else. You have to remember this thing has a 5600 pound tow rating on top of the 5000 lb suv. You really can't compare it to a car transmission these are much more heavy-duty and robust design because of the tow rating. Of course you don't just get to add power to these things for free everything comes at cost over the life of the trans. Long term the increase in torque isn't going have a huge impact as long as the car is being cared for and you're not doing something like Towing on a performance tune. Everything is built with a factor of safety we are simply eating into that factor of safety in terms of the important torque.

This is very similar the the 10r80, 800nm 590 ft-lbs input torque rating. They are regularly pushed over 600 ft-lbs to the wheels. Infact we really don't start seeing long-term issues with the them until 750 foot pounds at the wheels.

We all know we are pushing the platform. The stock trans has been holding up just fine to around 530 ft-lb at the wheels. That's typically what I limit the torque to. The dyno chart above is from a bigger turbo st that's the record holder for et and trap speed. At the time of the dyno it was on the stock transmission and now it is on a built transmission.

The biggest downfall I have seen with these Transmissions is Tunes I have the transmission shifting extremely soft. Generally speaking the softer the shift the more time you're spending "on the clutches". Ie when the clutches are slipping to hand off to the next great. The longer they slip the more wear and tear in the more heat you build etc.

Appreciate the thoughtful response, and very interesting with the consideration of the tow rating. The rest also applies to car tuning IE slow shifts and such but I admit I didn't consider tow ratings. That actually gives me a lot more confidence, having tuned 10r80 myself much beyond limits in cars but not any experience with the 60.

Last edited:
Reactions

First of all Adam, thank you for your insight and sharing your expertise. You said something above that caused me pause. I plan on using ZFG for my tune when the craziness dies down. Will go mild with a goal of 400 hp to the wheels torque will also on the mild side. My concern is your comment on "towing with a performance tune". I tow a 20 ft outboard ski boat which weighs about 2000 lbs. I don't race the ST, and I have no intention of racing an SRT8 on the way to the lake but I do like some spirited driving (when NOT towing). Based on this, am I at risk with a performance tune?

Reactions
First of all Adam, thank you for your insight and sharing your expertise. You said something above that caused me pause. I plan on using ZFG for my tune when the craziness dies down. Will go mild with a goal of 400 hp to the wheels torque will also on the mild side. My concern is your comment on "towing with a performance tune". I tow a 20 ft outboard ski boat which weighs about 2000 lbs. I don't race the ST, and I have no intention of racing an SRT8 on the way to the lake but I do like some spirited driving (when NOT towing). Based on this, am I at risk with a performance tune?
You can probably get away with 2000 if you are not getting on it, or you can use the stock tune to tow, or I can sell you a tow tune as well.

Reactions
You can probably get away with 2000 if you are not getting on it, or you can use the stock tune to tow, or I can sell you a tow tune as well.

got it. We’ll discuss in more detail as I get closer to pulling the trigger. As always, much appreciated!

Reactions

Now I feel much more confident going with a tune. Would changing the drive mode to tow even with a DD tune help if any or is still not recommended?

Looks to me like Ford's stock tune is possibly the main culprit or a huge reason to these transmission issues regarding the slow shifting. Would a ZFG DD tune have the stock slow shifts on any drive mode?

spittman19

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
I wanted to like this ST...I just didn’t wanna like it this much. With the tune, suspension and as of yesterday finally the tires dialed in with the wheels it’s just stupid fun. I kinda forgot you don’t need the fastest thing on the block to enjoy the drive. Now if tire mfg’s will get some summer tires going so I can get my 315’s I’ll be really happy. The 305’s are stuffed pretty good though. View attachment 2511
Is this with or without the 1/4” billet spacers installed?

Reactions
Hi, I live in Denver, altitude 5280 ft. The highest octane here is 91. Is there any benefit in getting a tune for power? Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I have a Gearhead e35-e40 tune and live in Lakewood Colorado. Finding e85 can be a little tricky but there are plenty of stations that have it around town. I usually go to Hill Petroleum. There also is a Circle K on Kipling and 7th Ave that sells 93 octane. With that said I went from running a 14.1 in the 1/4 mile to 12.7 with just the tune only. So yes it is a huge improvement and makes the ST into what it was supposed to be.

Reactions
Hi, I live in Denver, altitude 5280 ft. The highest octane here is 91. Is there any benefit in getting a tune for power? Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It actually will not void the warranty. You are correct in saying that if Ford discovers that the tune caused the failure they could deny that claim. But it would not the void any of the other aspects of the warranty for example if you go in with a tune for something related to your radio they're going to cover that under warranty. Or if you go in for something with your suspension they're going to cover that under warranty. Even if they deny one claim the rest of the warranty is still valid.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Why don't people still get this? The it voids the warranty people still have to spread the false information. I have been screaming this for years on all of the pages non stop. Nothing can just out right void a warranty. Even if your claim is denied it is just that claim only. People still don't get this. I had a claim denied at one dealership on the Fusion and just took it to another dealership in town and they covered it. Even amongst dealerships they don't void a warranty lol

Reactions
I have a Gearhead e35-e40 tune and live in Lakewood Colorado. Finding e85 can be a little tricky but there are plenty of stations that have it around town. I usually go to Hill Petroleum. There also is a Circle K on Kipling and 7th Ave that sells 93 octane. With that said I went from running a 14.1 in the 1/4 mile to 12.7 with just the tune only. So yes it is a huge improvement and makes the ST into what it was supposed to be.
Thanks James. I got the ZFG 91 tune about 6 months ago and love it. Exactly what I wanted. Not looking to do much to the car, just kind of wanted more power on the daily driver because I can. Got it, love it!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions
Thanks James. I got the ZFG 91 tune about 6 months ago and love it. Exactly what I wanted. Not looking to do much to the car, just kind of wanted more power on the daily driver because I can. Got it, love it!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
@thereynolds that's the exact tune I am looking at as well. I'm glad to hear you like it. Not sure if I want to go the full 93 as it's the wife's car and I can't get her to put 93 in it all the time

Brett22ST

Reactions
Hey guys, happy new ST owner here. It came off the truck and I told the dealer not to touch it, detail wise. Drove it to the auto spa and had PPF and a ceramic coating done. I got the new for 22 “Stone Blue Metallic” color. It’s growing on me.

Anyways, I purchased the ZFG tune before the car even got here. My question is, have any of you installed the tune right away without a break in period? I’m excited to start the tune process but also want to do it safely.

Thank you
-Brett

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Anyone tried the ZFG auto octane tune? Can't seem to find any reviews of the auto octane tune. Any insight or just go with dedicated 93 tune n make sure the wife puts the right gas in at fill ups? Wife mostly drives it. Reason I was thinking of the auto octane tune is if 93 octane sky rockets again which I'm sure is around the corner I can throw 87 in n not worry about it and still feel a difference with trans tuning n slight performance bump over stock.

Debating on that or the Monster Tuned Auto-X tune. A few people say they are impressed with the tune. Seems they are very responsive and customer service is top notch. Anyone with their tune have any complaints or positive things to say after having the tune awhile now. Any Dragy results on it with different octanes?

Is the ZFG auto octane tune worth $200 over the Monster Tuned Auto-X?

Appreciate your help guys

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Anyone tried the ZFG auto octane tune? Can't seem to find any reviews of the auto octane tune. Any insight or just go with dedicated 93 tune n make sure the wife puts the right gas in at fill ups? Wife mostly drives it. Reason I was thinking of the auto octane tune is if 93 octane sky rockets again which I'm sure is around the corner I can throw 87 in n not worry about it and still feel a difference with trans tuning n slight performance bump over stock.

Debating on that or the Monster Tuned Auto-X tune. A few people say they are impressed with the tune. Seems they are very responsive and customer service is top notch. Anyone with their tune have any complaints or positive things to say after having the tune awhile now. Any Dragy results on it with different octanes?

Is the ZFG auto octane tune worth $200 over the Monster Tuned Auto-X?

Appreciate your help guys
Also interested in this..
I never run less than 93 in mine but From what I understand the Auto octane tune will learn up to E30, and that would be awesome. Be able to add a little E85 (when available) to a tank of 93 and see some gains.

Reactions
I don’t think you can go wrong with the ZFG tune. I have the GearHead AO tune and it is VERY impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
I don’t think you can go wrong with the ZFG tune. I have the GearHead AO tune and it is VERY impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't know there were more out there that do the adjustable tune and are recommended for the ST. Would you say the tune is on par with ZFG or Monster?

Have you done any Dragy run before and after the tune?

I have an SCT X4 that I used on my 2 previous Explorer Sports. Would I be able to use it with the GearHead tune? I've read that transmission tuning with the X4 isn't nearly as good from what ZFG uses.