Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
PBD or 5 star for e85? Also any SoCal shops that do e85 setups? Been loving our ST but really want it running on e85
For e85 you are going to need to install a HPFP first.

LokiWolf

Reactions
For e85 you are going to need to install a HPFP first.
Not necessarily. ZFG does an E85 tune for the Stock pump. It is slower than E50, but slightly quicker than 93 0-60, and good for a 10th in the 1/4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Reactions
PBD or 5 star for e85? Also any SoCal shops that do e85 setups? Been loving our ST but really want it running on e85
PBD or ZFG for E85. Honestly I would stay away from 5Star.

Reactions
PBD or ZFG for E85. Honestly I would stay away from 5Star

I'll show 5star a little bit of love here. They are very responsive and customer svc is excellent. Their 93 perf tune is very very fast and I am very happy with it. Compared to stock, it is night & day. However, there have been a few minor hiccups that I've been trying to iron out to no avail. I had previously scoured the forums RE tunes and think the consensus is ZFG. Either that, or ZFG has the happiest, most active forum members lol. Unfortunately for me, I missed the boat by 1 day and despite us having numerous conversations, Adam refused to tune my rig until he got his EPA thing sorted. I was bitter about it for a week or so, ordered the 5-star and have been enjoying it ever since. I still plan to get my truck tuned by ZFG and Adam assured me I would be one of the first 10 (remains to be seen).

I think the main difference with ZFG is datalogging and the additional level of customization he can achieve therefrom. I have requested several tweaks to various tunes from 5-star based upon my descriptions of what I'm experiencing and what i want it to feel like, and most of the revised tunes were no better than the original. In fact, most were worse. I have requested them to datalog the issues, but they they still have not done so as I dont think they support datalogging on the HPT RTD device just yet. To that end, I still think they are a good tuning option esp. in ZFG's absence. Many others seem happy with theirs and if you are not as picky as I am, you will probably be very happy with 5-star. Either way, I will definitely post a thread here once I get tuned by ZFG with some more insight.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Reactions
I'll show 5star a little bit of love here. They are very responsive and customer svc is excellent. Their 93 perf tune is very very fast and I am very happy with it. Compared to stock, it is night & day. However, there have been a few minor hiccups that I've been trying to iron out to no avail. I had previously scoured the forums RE tunes and think the consensus is ZFG. Either that, or ZFG has the happiest, most active forum members lol. Unfortunately for me, I missed the boat by 1 day and despite us having numerous conversations, Adam refused to tune my rig until he got his EPA thing sorted. I was bitter about it for a week or so, ordered the 5-star and have been enjoying it ever since. I still plan to get my truck tuned by ZFG and Adam assured me I would be one of the first 10 (remains to be seen).

I think the main difference with ZFG is datalogging and the additional level of customization he can achieve therefrom. I have requested several tweaks to various tunes from 5-star based upon my descriptions of what I'm experiencing and what i want it to feel like, and most of the revised tunes were no better than the original. In fact, most were worse. I have requested them to datalog the issues, but they they still have not done so as I dont think they support datalogging on the HPT RTD device just yet. To that end, I still think they are a good tuning option esp. in ZFG's absence. Many others seem happy with theirs and if you are not as picky as I am, you will probably be very happy with 5-star. Either way, I will definitely post a thread here once I get tuned by ZFG with some more insight.
Data logging on the RTD is built in. Like you hook up the RTD to the laptop, open Scanner, pick the pids. On their side, there is nothing different. They open the log in scanner and look for what you are having issue with. Easy as that.

Your example is why I say stay away from 5Star. I have heard MANY say exactly what you did. Asked for changes, and it was worse. Seen several videos of 5 Star tunes, where many people said to remove the tune, and the revisions were worse. Sorry, but they don’t have the Trans tuning down yet for the 10R60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Reactions
Sadly, Ford hasn't figured that out either.
You are not wrong!

Like I have mentioned before. Mine had the bad 7-6 downshift from pretty much day one. My ZFG tune made it better for 3000 miles, then it started showing up tuned. Ford replaced some things and now good to go.

I know ZFG worked at it hard to get the Trans tuning right on these things. Adam has told me many times every one of them is a bit different.

Logging and adjusting is important.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Mine feels like two different vehicles depending upon whether it's in Sport vs. Normal mode over the first 30ft. off of any stop sign/light. I cannot bring it off of a stop smoothly in Normal mode without paying particular attention to it. It's no problem in Sport mode. Even my wife notices the differences and I'm not talking about getting on it in any form or fashion.

Reactions
Mine feels like two different vehicles depending upon whether it's in Sport vs. Normal mode over the first 30ft. off of any stop sign/light. I cannot bring it off of a stop smoothly in Normal mode without paying particular attention to it. It's no problem in Sport mode. Even my wife notices the differences and I'm not talking about getting on it in any form or fashion.
Are you thinking about tuning. Brett has my shifting in a pretty darn good spot.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Unless you have an HPFP upgrade stick to E50 blends. And ZFG over the listed shops for tuning.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Are you thinking about tuning. Brett has my shifting in a pretty darn good spot.

I've been waiting for Bret to get back with me. PM'd him about a week ago. He hasn't visited the other site for a few days. I didn't realize you were running his stuff until after I had PM'd him asking about it. You and I think a lot alike. Truth is I'm still undecided as this is the wife's car. I don't know how I feel about hers being faster than my truck. What if she won't let me drive it? :ROFLMAO:

I haven't addressed the IC and I will if I tune (I know you're doing this shortly). I've moved very slowly on the mods with this one as I just haven't felt up to it but I do a little something most every week. My door letters should be here next week.

Last edited:
Reactions
Thank you all for the advice. I’m definitely going to be changing the fuel pumps. I don’t want to keep this guy stock. Anything else I should change to make sure I run smoothly while operating e85? I want more power of course and quicker times I’d like to push 500 to the wheels without switching out the turbos. I’m very new to the tuning scene. So thank y’all for your patience with me. I’m nervous to mess with the transmission since I’ve read that Ford kinda dropped the ball with the ST transmission I did hear that these transmissions can handle over 750hp stock but I could have misread an article. Also is it possible to run e85 and then when I go into other parts of the country where it isn’t readily available, switch back to 87-93 gas? Or once I’m e85 there is no switching back?

Reactions
I've been waiting for Bret to get back with me. PM'd him about a week ago. He hasn't visited the other site for a few days. I didn't realize you were running his stuff until after I had PM'd him asking about it. You and I think a lot alike. Truth is I'm still undecided as this is the wife's car. I don't know how I feel about hers being faster than my truck. What if she won't let me drive it? :ROFLMAO:

I haven't addressed the IC and I will if I tune (I know you're doing this shortly). I've moved very slowly on the mods with this one as I just haven't felt up to it but I do a little something most every week. My door letters should be here next week.
I get it, same reason why the tune on ours is a very mild 91 tune and I'll work with Brett on a tune for "me", lol. Probably only 50-60hp on this current tune at my request, main reason for it was to clean up some of the shifting. You know you can shoot me a PM if you need anything.

Reactions
Thank you all for the advice. I’m definitely going to be changing the fuel pumps. I don’t want to keep this guy stock. Anything else I should change to make sure I run smoothly while operating e85? I want more power of course and quicker times I’d like to push 500 to the wheels without switching out the turbos. I’m very new to the tuning scene. So thank y’all for your patience with me. I’m nervous to mess with the transmission since I’ve read that Ford kinda dropped the ball with the ST transmission I did hear that these transmissions can handle over 750hp stock but I could have misread an article. Also is it possible to run e85 and then when I go into other parts of the country where it isn’t readily available, switch back to 87-93 gas? Or once I’m e85 there is no switching back?
Going by the torque ratings on the 10R60, youll be changing or beefing the tranny before changing the turbos. The main issue is not the max hp ratings, its the torque. A stock ST almost puts out the "max" input tq ratings on the 10R60.

Itll be very interesting once or if Ford ever puts out a Performance tune for the ST.

V8bait

Reactions
Going by the torque ratings on the 10R60, youll be changing or beefing the tranny before changing the turbos. The main issue is not the max hp ratings, its the torque. A stock ST almost puts out the "max" input tq ratings on the 10R60.

Itll be very interesting once or if Ford ever puts out a Performance tune for the ST.
Agreed. Stock tune drops torque like a rock up top though so I think there's plenty to work with still. Raise boost/timing up top for premium to hold torque flat to redline and you have 500hp no problem. If I decide to tune mine I'll do it myself in HPTuners and that's the plan, just don't want to void the warranty since I plan to keep this for the long haul.

All the current tuners are just pushing torque out and I don't think we've determined if that's safe for the driveline yet. I'd say I'm sad we didn't get a 10r80 but honestly that trans shifts poorly so I'm ok with the 60 if it holds up decently.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Agreed. Stock tune drops torque like a rock up top though so I think there's plenty to work with still. Raise boost/timing up top for premium to hold torque flat to redline and you have 500hp no problem. If I decide to tune mine I'll do it myself in HPTuners and that's the plan, just don't want to void the warranty since I plan to keep this for the long haul.

All the current tuners are just pushing torque out and I don't think we've determined if that's safe for the driveline yet. I'd say I'm sad we didn't get a 10r80 but honestly that trans shifts poorly so I'm ok with the 60 if it holds up decently.
Your last statement is absolutely untrue. The good tuners are not “just pushing torque out”…they’re actually holding it back. They’re capable of much more then the good tuners are throwing at them.
They also do know what’s safe for the driveline which is why they’re holding back where it’s needed.

Reactions
Your last statement is absolutely untrue. The good tuners are not “just pushing torque out”…they’re actually holding it back. They’re capable of much more then the good tuners are throwing at them.
They also do know what’s safe for the driveline which is why they’re holding back where it’s needed.
Exactly.... here is an example of managing torque on an st.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Hi, I live in Denver, altitude 5280 ft. The highest octane here is 91. Is there any benefit in getting a tune for power? Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Live in Castle Rock. I use regular unleaded and use my ST for everyday driving. It has plenty of pep without the higher octane due to the high altitude.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Live in Castle Rock. I use regular unleaded and use my ST for everyday driving. It has plenty of pep without the higher octane due to the high altitude.
HaHa. Even at altitude, increased Octane has advantages. Implying different is just bad science.

Reactions
Just curious as to what weight was the 10R60 rated at with the torque ratings.

I know the TR-3160 from the GT350 was rated for 400 lbs of torque yet the ATS-V and GT350 easily surpass that. Given that it was rated for a 6,600lbs vehicle at that rating, it's perfectly fine. The Explorer is not lightweight tho.

Wow! Was that done on a ST Adam/ZFG?