Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I went to the dragstrip yesterday. The ST had 93 in the tank. I did 2 1/4 mile passes. Both were almost identical. 13.80 at 99 mph. I put in the 5 star 93 performance tune and raced the rest of the night with it. Best times consistently at 13.24, 13.23 at 102.xx. I could not get it any faster. My 60 foot at 1.87 best. Launched at about 2,500-2,800 rpm.
It's an improvement! But I don't understand, (please someone educate me), when a ZFG 93 tune will do low-mid 12's with no other mods then why bother with any other tune? Is is because the other tuners are cheaper? Is it because you already have a tuning device so it saves you money?

Reactions
It's an improvement! But I don't understand, (please someone educate me), when a ZFG 93 tune will do low-mid 12's with no other mods then why bother with any other tune? Is is because the other tuners are cheaper? Is it because you already have a tuning device so it saves you money?
For me I had used gearhead for 3 years on another platform. Had the device, the cost of an auto octane tune and an e30 tune was 250 total. AO tune ran 12.5 on dragy with no mods. E30 tune did a best of 11.99 at the drag strip with intercooler and intake.

I wanted to be able to run 12.00 easily and consistently for a specific event that I run several times a year, that is why I spent the additional chunk of change to get a ZFG e50 tune. If not for that reason I would have been fine sticking with gearhead tune. Once tracks here close I will probably run the AO tune all winter.

There are other good tuners out there, doesn't seem like 5 star is one of them tho.

Bobsbluest

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Oh boy, that’s not a great improvement at all. I’m going to assume that you have a X4 SCT device if you went with 5*. If that’s the case, order up the AO tune from Gearhead or a dedicated octane tune from Unleashed and you’ll see some much improved times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, my old BDX. Not too impressive, I agree.

Bobsbluest

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yes, 4 tunes weren$220. I just wanted to see the improvement. When I had the Taurus SHO with a Livernois 93 tune I got to 12.99. I am just not sure I am so into this as to drop 1K. I have had and will have Mustangs for my serious fun stuff. Still, Thought I would see better times from 5 star.

Reactions
Its one of those, you get for what you pay for type of things.

What I like about ZFG the most is not only is it the fastest but also looks to be the safest/easy on the drivetrain. Adam doesnt just throw power and tq right off the bat which can damage the tranny much faster if you do so.

I mean, there's a damn ST running 10's on the stock tranny with his tune.

Last edited:
Reactions
Honestly, for me it's because I have worked with other Calibrators on other Eco/Ford platforms and they all have a whack load of experience with their own shops, dynos, etc. I've built relationships with them and now having tunes for my Wife's ST from three different tuners on both SCT and HPT, I can say that for my non-ethanol tunes (e85 is not easy to get up here) that they are 100% in line with times posted by tunes from ZFG. I would like to see someone post up times from the Unleashed e50 tune to see how that stacks up to the e50 ZFG tune.

Adam has done a great job of jumping into this platform early and working with those that are chasing down numbers and also spend time on the groups and forums, it goes a long way. I see it with GooseTuned in the Raptor world, Unleashed in the Fusion World, GearHead in the SHO world and so on.

Reactions
I have a used HP Tuners RTD+ for sale. Totaled my ST and have no need for it anymore. I have the original tuning files from it (93 octane only). I know tuning credits are $50 each if you want to make any changes. $400 shipped. I have the original packaging and everything.

If this is not the place for this post please let me know and i will move it to the appropriate section.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Is that VIN locked?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The device needs credits for a new VIN#. But the tunes are for a specific car... who would want a custom tune made for your car even if you could do it with the proper credits? It's not a canned tune. Hate to tell you, but like others selling their HP Tuners device, you are going to get soaked.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
400 is a way to much for a used device, you can buy a new one for 400. The tune is vin specific to your ST and is useless to anyone else. The next person will still have to buy a tune and the credits to load said tune.

Reactions
This is kind of off topic but I tried to purchase the HP Tuner tune and hardware combo from ZFG's website but when I try to check out, the website says they don't ship to my address (California). Is there a work around this? I'm assuming because of the strict emission laws in California?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I'm assuming because of the strict emission laws in California?
Bingo.

Is there a work around this?

Yes, leave commiefornia.

All joking aside, how close are to Reno NV? Take a daytrip to Reno and go to summit racing and buy the HP tuner device from them. Then when you get home you can get the email tune from ZFG. Easy Peasy.

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Another option is do you have a good friend or relative who lives out of state? Order it from ZFG and have it shipped to them, and then they can send it to you or you can take a trip and go visit them and pick it up yourself.

Reactions
I thought about that too but I would basically have to pay for shipping twice. Lol I take it once I have the hardware though, ZFG would be willing to tune my car regardless of the emissions law in California right?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I thought about that too but I would basically have to pay for shipping twice. Lol I take it once I have the hardware though, ZFG would be willing to tune my car regardless of the emissions law in California right?
I would just leave the fact that you’re in CA out of the conversation. Wink wink or whatever…
And yes…using a friend or relative out of state is a common work around…is another 10 bucks in shipping really that big of a deal?

Reactions
I would just leave the fact that you’re in CA out of the conversation. Wink wink or whatever…

And yes…using a friend or relative out of state is a common work around…is another 10 bucks in shipping really that big of a deal?

It's not a big deal but I would like to avoid it if possible, that's all. Thanks for the suggestion of leaving California out of the conversation though. Lol hopefully it won't be an issue. Again, I'm sure there has to be other people in CA that is tuned from ZFG.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It's not a big deal but I would like to avoid it if possible, that's all. Thanks for the suggestion of leaving California out of the conversation though. Lol hopefully it won't be an issue. Again, I'm sure there has to be other people in CA that is tuned from ZFG.
Of course there are…but they’re using the work arounds and keeping their mouths shut about the address part because if you blast it out there and Adam knows he’s not gonna risk his business to sell you a tune. He spent way too much money and time getting his tunes EPA approved to burn it all over a couple hundred bucks. Just play the game and I’m sure you’ll be fine.