Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

JHeckler69

Reactions
What’s the best tune to purchase?

Reactions
What fuel do you want to run?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
J

JHeckler69

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Right now just regular unleaded however would go to 93 octane

Reactions
Right now just regular unleaded however would go to 93 octane
Okay, unfortunately there really isn't anything to gain on 87 octane as power goes. Trans tune can be done and overall "feel" can be changed but if you want to make more power you'll need 93 octane or e50.

OP
J

JHeckler69

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Yes. I’m fine with 93 octane. Just need to know what everyone thinks the best tune is to purchase. Also any good sounding after market exhausts yet?

Reactions
Well I recommend hp tuners with myself tuning ;) but there are a few tuners out there.

The borla attak is sounds better on this then any other exhaust on any other EcoBoost.

I can do a package deal if you are interested! Sales@tunedbyzfgracing.com

Reactions
Hi, I live in Denver, altitude 5280 ft. The highest octane here is 91. Is there any benefit in getting a tune for power? Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions
Hi, I live in Denver, altitude 5280 ft. The highest octane here is 91. Is there any benefit in getting a tune for power? Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Gains would be limited to around 30-40 hp do to your altitude.

Buckles

Reactions
What kind of gains can you expect from a 93 tune on an otherwise stock vehicle?

Reactions
@ZFGracing Will your tune improve fuel economy?
The answer isn't straightforward, the short answer is no. And anyone that tells you a tune will get better mpg is lying. Ford did everything they could to squeezed every mile per gallon out of these things. To think any tuner is going to come in and make it better is a little bit of a stretch. There have also been a couple of tuners out there that are known for manipulating the values that go to the gauge cluster to make it look like it's getting better mileage but in all reality it's not.

That being said her is what you might see. The highway mileage will be the same. Depending on your driving style, you may see a slight improvement in your combined. The factory calibration has a tendency to dump fuel in instead of bringing it in gradually. So if you are very light on the throttle with the factory calibration you can get really good mileage, but if your very aggressive the mileage will suffer a lot. My tune smoothest that transition out. So it may improve compared to what you were getting before if you are an aggressive driver.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
For everyone interested in a Tune the only advice I'll give is "due your own research on each company providing them". There's several options out there all with their own pro's and con's. The more research & information you can obtain from each of them the better off you'll feel investing in one (pretty self-explanatory but I don't want anyone to get mixed up in all the hype).

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
For everyone interested in a Tune the only advice I'll give is "due your own research on each company providing them". There's several options out there all with their own pro's and con's. The more research & information you can obtain from each of them the better off you'll feel investing in one (pretty self-explanatory but I don't want anyone to get mixed up in all the hype).
That's one reason I'm not interested in a tune at the moment. It seems like most are pretty vague on information when you go to their website. There is also not a lot of feedback from users out there, understandably. I'm not in any rush. Will just wait it out. I don't have the time to call each tuner to gather info and may not be asking all the pertinent questions anyhow.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Doing any tune will void the warranty (and if anything breaks, Ford will need to prove it was your tune that caused it...). But any Ford Performance part (a tune?) does count as being covered under Ford's warranty. I'm told by FP it should be out in 2021. But FP said they'd release a tune for the Focus RS and never did. Should I wait? Only 10K miles on the vehicle now (bought used with 8K miles on it).

Reactions
Doing any tune will void the warranty (and if anything breaks, Ford will need to prove it was your tune that caused it...). But any Ford Performance part (a tune?) does count as being covered under Ford's warranty. I'm told by FP it should be out in 2021. But FP said they'd release a tune for the Focus RS and never did. Should I wait? Only 10K miles on the vehicle now (bought used with 8K miles on it).
It actually will not void the warranty. You are correct in saying that if Ford discovers that the tune caused the failure they could deny that claim. But it would not the void any of the other aspects of the warranty for example if you go in with a tune for something related to your radio they're going to cover that under warranty. Or if you go in for something with your suspension they're going to cover that under warranty. Even if they deny one claim the rest of the warranty is still valid.

Reactions
It actually will not void the warranty. You are correct in saying that if Ford discovers that the tune caused the failure they could deny that claim. But it would not the void any of the other aspects of the warranty for example if you go in with a tune for something related to your radio they're going to cover that under warranty. Or if you go in for something with your suspension they're going to cover that under warranty. Even if they deny one claim the rest of the warranty is still valid.

Sure it won't impact if your heated seat stops working, but if you have any powertrain issues you better be sure they are going to say the powertrain wasn't built to withstand the increased horsepower and stress that the tune provides.

Like anything in life, gotta pay to play and tuning is taking a risk, some are comfortable with that and others aren't.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ford just released a performance tune for the Ranger. I've got to believe one for the Explorer is in the works. Again, worth it to wait. Most just want a tune for the stock setup anyways.

TooTall

Reactions
Hey I'm new here...just picked up my ST 5 days ago...have about 175 miles on it. Even before I got it I was looking into possible tunes but haven't really found any information to help me decide which company to go with. Livernois, 5 Star, Palm Beach...how to decide?

Regarding the warranty conversation...couldn't you just put the stock tune back on before bringing in?