Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Squeaking noise coming from lowering springs

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I see exactly what you mean. I'd be interested to see if they have changed the design to more replicate the OEM taper with the new run of them.
If so, might be requesting an exchange.
I just received my set from their latest batch yesterday. As far as the taper goes, they appear the same as yours. The 2nd coil is full diameter.

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
would you expect any different? Correct me if I'm wrong but they didn't make changes before the 2nd run. They were hoping it was a first run anomaly. it's a shame that this happened. I think the coils on the steeda have a smaller coil diameter than stock. Their initial RSB would rub stock and H&R springs but not the smaller Steeda springs.

Reactions
Hey guys just went to get my rear springs adjusted and squeaking noise started again about 15 min after leaving the shop. Has anyone gotten anything resolved or you guys still dealing with the noise?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey guys just went to get my rear springs adjusted and squeaking noise started again about 15 min after leaving the shop. Has anyone gotten anything resolved or you guys still dealing with the noise?
I was able to stop the noise by prying/pushing the bottom of the spring away from the side wall of the control arm seat. It is pretty obvious what part of the spring is rubbing when you look at it. Just use a pry bar to push it as far as you can.

I have noticed that the 3rd coil up from the bottom is hitting the top of the control arm seat top of rougher roads.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Well, guess what is back. The springs in the rear have recentered themselves and now they are rubbing and making noises again. Pushing them off-center only lasted about 2 months. I'm really not surprised that this happened, just really disappointed that Lethal hasn't come up with a solution yet. Need to reflect on what my options are.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well, guess what is back. The springs in the rear have recentered themselves and now they are rubbing and making noises again. Pushing them off-center only lasted about 2 months. I'm really not surprised that this happened, just really disappointed that Lethal hasn't come up with a solution yet. Need to reflect on what my options are.
I have to give you credit. Your a lot calmer than I would be. I wish you luck on a resolution to this.

Reactions
Following.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
DAMN! I might just return mine. Hate to go through the install to have similar experience?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Have been communicating with Lethal this morning on a resolution. My patients comes from great communication between them and I from the very start. I need to trust what they are saying, that they are working to get this resolved. The details of this is something Matt and his team are working on and will provide details as they are available.

For now, I will push the springs again and hope it last 2 more months.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Have been communicating with Lethal this morning on a resolution. My patients comes from great communication between them and I from the very start. I need to trust what they are saying, that they are working to get this resolved. The details of this is something Matt and his team are working on and will provide details as they are available.

For now, I will push the springs again and hope it last 2 more months.
No blame intended, but why torture yourself? Get a refund on those springs and pick up the steedas or the H&R. It seems to me that whatever mandrel they used didn't correctly address the diameter issues. Waiting for them to configure new tooling seems pointless even if they eventually produce something better.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
No blame intended, but why torture yourself? Get a refund on those springs and pick up the steedas or the H&R. It seems to me that whatever mandrel they used didn't correctly address the diameter issues. Waiting for them to configure new tooling seems pointless even if they eventually produce something better.
All of your points are valid. I just don't want to swap those springs more than one more time. Too old to be crawling around under that SUV..lol

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I understand, but suppose they tell you they're fixed and you install them and find it's not fixed? No one is complaining about issues with the two vendors I mentioned. It's up to you I guess. I suppose I just don't have that kind of brand loyalty!

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I understand, but suppose they tell you they're fixed and you install them and find it's not fixed? No one is complaining about issues with the two vendors I mentioned. It's up to you I guess. I suppose I just don't have that kind of brand loyalty!
That would surely suck. At least now I have more knowledge on what they should look like, measurement wise, before I install them. I may just put some Tien or Eibach spring silencers on the Lethal's and see what happens.

What keeps rolling through my head is that the Steeda's are not as low and the H&R's coil bind in the rears and could make noise when the coils get together. Still not off the table but need to think on it a bit more.

Definitely not brand loyalty.

Cwczx3

Reactions
Vehicle
202 Explorer ST
Was about to pull the trigger on these this morning but decided to joiin this forum and research some first. Glad i did but really want the Lethal springs, hope they get redesigned soon.

fcody22ST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
good day all.

ive got about 6k miles and approx 2 month on the new lethal performance springs, for the past 2 weeks ive noticed a squeaking noise coming from the suspension. originally it started with the front passenger side, when id go over bumps, now its on both rears and the front right. the noise is similar to a leaf pack that isnt greased.

any ideas what it could be? anyone else with the lethal springs having the same issue?
So I contacted lethal performance and they sent me a completely different set. Reason being, the cust. service rep told me on their first batch some of the bottom coils were too big causing rubbing no matter how its installed.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So I contacted lethal performance and they sent me a completely different set. Reason being, the cust. service rep told me on their first batch some of the bottom coils were too big causing rubbing no matter how its installed.
That is interesting. I was told earlier this week that they are working with their manufacuture into tightening the bottom coils. Was also 5old 5he second batch were made the same as the first.

Like to see how this turns out for you. Good luck.

fcody22ST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
That is interesting. I was told earlier this week that they are working with their manufacuture into tightening the bottom coils. Was also 5old 5he second batch were made the same as the first.

Like to see how this turns out for you. Good luck.

Ya the customer service guy literally said he would go to the warehouse and measure bottom coils on what they had and send me the ones with the smallest coil.

Reactions
When will you have the new set installed?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Ya the customer service guy literally said he would go to the warehouse and measure bottom coils on what they had and send me the ones with the smallest coil.
When you get them can you measure the bottom and post up the details? It would help me determine if I need to be swapping mine out or going H&R before I tear into it. Thanks in Advance!!

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Pushed the springs again today and added some spring silencers on the coils that rub. Hoping this last until Lethal gets some new rear coils made with tighter windings.

Attachments