Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Squeaking noise coming from lowering springs

fcody22ST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
When will you have the new set installed?
should be on next Saturday. The front diff decided to go out so it’s at the shop waiting on parts for that. I’ll update this once they are on.

fcody22ST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
When you get them can you measure the bottom and post up the details? It would help me determine if I need to be swapping mine out or going H&R before I tear into it. Thanks in Advance!!
Ya no problem.

Reactions
Pushed the springs again today and added some spring silencers on the coils that rub. Hoping this last until Lethal gets some new rear coils made with tighter windings.
Link for purchase??

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Reactions
(SPR02-G1497) Spring Silencer, Medium 90-130mm https://a.co/d/fxhEigY

I would hold out on buying Lethal springs until they get the rear springs straightened out.
Thanks for sharing the link.

Unfortunately i have them installed and its getting to the point to re-install my stock ones.

Are the silencers helping?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks for sharing the link.

Unfortunately i have them installed and its getting to the point to re-install my stock ones.

Are the silencers helping?
Pushing the springs away from the edge of the lower control arm seat stopped the noise. The silencers are kind of some insurance incase they move over and start touching again. Right now they are quite.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm interested in learning what the thinking is on the Lethal springs. I understand people wanting to lower their vehicle, but I'm obviously clueless as to why an 1/4" of difference in height is so important that one would overlook H&R or Steeda to achieve it? According to what I've read, the H&R have coil bind, the Steeda springs have no problems and also have sway bars to match, and the Lethal springs are not well designed. So what are you trying to achieve? Better handling, or the lowest possible stance?

Myself, I would go with a matched combo like the Steedas, and if I were interested in the lowest possible height, I'd probably go with those BC coilovers.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm interested in learning what the thinking is on the Lethal springs. I understand people wanting to lower their vehicle, but I'm obviously clueless as to why an 1/4" of difference in height is so important that one would overlook H&R or Steeda to achieve it? According to what I've read, the H&R have coil bind, the Steeda springs have no problems and also have sway bars to match, and the Lethal springs are not well designed. So what are you trying to achieve? Better handling, or the lowest possible stance?

Myself, I would go with a matched combo like the Steedas, and if I were interested in the lowest possible height, I'd probably go with those BC coilovers.
Hindsight is 20/20. I had a new in the box set of Steeda's that I sold and bought the Lethals when they were released, based on them being lower and from the hype from someone testing them. Don't want the lowest because I still want to haul asses when I'm hauling ass and not bottom out.

The Lethal springs handle well but only can compare them to factory. Again, going to wait for one of two things. @Lethalperformance fixes the rear springs so that they don't rub or they admit they will not. At that point I'll be swapping them out for corrected springs or some other brand. I can deal with what I have for now. I mentioned in an earlier post, and other platforms, that I would not recommend purchasing the Lethal springs in their current iteration.

Last edited:
Reactions
If Lethal 2.0 springs fix the fitment issues, I will be ordering a set. I like the stance they give the best out of the big three options.

Cwczx3

Reactions
Vehicle
202 Explorer ST
If Lethal 2.0 springs fix the fitment issues, I will be ordering a set. I like the stance they give the best out of the big three options.
Waiting for the same thing to order a set.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I ordered Lethal set due to Black Friday sale price and reading ALL reviews of all 3. Seemed to be the best of all worlds really. Assumed they had done enough R&D to not screw up a spring. My bad.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I know that this is an over-the-top means to an end but has anyone thought of a bit of grinding on the lower control arm with a die grinder and a carbide bit made for aluminum? I know that this is something that one shouldn't have to do, but if you really need these springs, there is probably a time-wasting solution. I wouldn't do it myself but...

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I know that this is an over-the-top means to an end but has anyone thought of a bit of grinding on the lower control arm with a die grinder and a carbide bit made for aluminum? I know that this is something that one shouldn't have to do, but if you really need these springs, there is probably a time-wasting solution. I wouldn't do it myself but...
Grinding on the lower control arm is probably not a good idea.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

You said it much more eloquently than I could. I've never been happy with an H&R spring in any car I've owned, they are more of a form over function spring to me, it appears that Lethal has jumped on that wagon. If you want low, go coil overs. You could always get a torch out and just heat your springs like we did in the old days, since all you're after is a look. For reference, we have the Steeda springs and RSB.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
seems all 3 options have issues from what I have read, steeda's bottom out, h&r coil bind, lethal rub/squeek.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
seems all 3 options have issues from what I have read, steeda's bottom out, h&r coil bind, lethal rub/squeek.
Never heard of a Steeda bottoming out, now H&R yes they do when going over road humps. Maybe towing 5000# they might.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I haven't heard of Steeda's having a bottoming-out issue.

Reactions
6 adults, luggage for a long weekend from Charlotte to Asheville no case of bottoming out on my Steedas....while NOT driving like a grandma, just sayin.

Explorer ST Posts