Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Squeaking noise coming from lowering springs

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I don't think that small gap is it.

I took my rear-end apart today to check everything and found what was causing the noise. It is the second coil from the bottom hitting/rubbing the inside of the aluminum control arm seat, see pictures. I think that there is something off with the manufacturing of the springs as they sit offset in the bottom isolator. My isolators were installed correctly and all bolts torqued in the loaded position.
So I'm curious. When you installed the rear springs did you disconnect the lower control arm at the knuckle and let it swing down and then swing the lower control arm back up into position with the new spring?

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So I'm curious. When you installed the rear springs did you disconnect the lower control arm at the knuckle and let it swing down and then swing the lower control arm back up into position with the new spring?
I loosened everything and retightened once lowered. The sound was coming from the springs hitting the lower control arm side. I posted pictures of what it was .Had to push the springs off center on the bottom Sotheby's wouldn't rub.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I loosened everything and retightened once lowered. The sound was coming from the springs hitting the lower control arm side. I posted pictures of what it was .Had to push the springs off center on the bottom Sotheby's wouldn't rub.
I realize that. I was asking when you initially installed the springs did you do it like I asked in post #21.

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I realize that. I was asking when you initially installed the springs did you do it like I asked in post #21.
I did not totally disconnect it, just loosen.

agonzales62451

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Same issue here with LP springs I went in and double checked where the springs sit in the isolaters. Everything looked good the top isolated had about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch where thr end of the springs buts up and sets in the isolator. I loosened bolts and used a floor jack to set the suspension to ride height and re-tightened everything back up. Noise stopped for a second and started up again. Sounds like a clunk and spring vibrating. I think once the spring is fully compressed it maybe catches the edge of the lowered control arm cup it sits in. I took pictures and reached out to LP to see if this is a known issue and remedied in a later version of the spring.

Pictures of are the bottom and top isolaters. Anyone think that small gap in the second pic could be the culprit?

It was difficult to get a picture of where the springs maybe catching once the suspension is set because it sits down in the control arm but it spreads out and seems to be catching slightly making a clunk and spring vibrating sounds. The third and fourth pic is where I believe the spring is catching it is ever so slightly but would explain the clunk and the spring vibrating kinda sound.

More to follow.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Same issue here with LP springs I went in and double checked where the springs sit in the isolaters. Everything looked good the top isolated had about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch where thr end of the springs buts up and sets in the isolator. I loosened bolts and used a floor jack to set the suspension to ride height and re-tightened everything back up. Noise stopped for a second and started up again. Sounds like a clunk and spring vibrating. I think once the spring is fully compressed it maybe catches the edge of the lowered control arm cup it sits in. I took pictures and reached out to LP to see if this is a known issue and remedied in a later version of the spring.

Pictures of are the bottom and top isolaters. Anyone think that small gap in the second pic could be the culprit?

It was difficult to get a picture of where the springs maybe catching once the suspension is set because it sits down in the control arm but it spreads out and seems to be catching slightly making a clunk and spring vibrating sounds. The third and fourth pic is where I believe the spring is catching it is ever so slightly but would explain the clunk and the spring vibrating kinda sound.

More to follow.

Look at my post #20. Once I pushed the bottom of the spring off-center in the bottom control arm cup and get it away from the side, the rubbing and noise stopped. I too believe there is a problem with the construction of the rear springs.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Watching this thread closely. Please update with Lethal response and remedy if there is one other than adjusting how the spring sets in the boot. Seems odd that you would have to offcenter them to not make noise. Got mine still in box waiting spring install

agonzales62451

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Watching this thread closely. Please update with Lethal response and remedy if there is one other than adjusting how the spring sets in the boot. Seems odd that you would have to offcenter them to not make noise. Got mine still in box waiting spring install
I'll keep you all posted

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

More to follow.

It's not the small gap on the top isolator as I have the same gap. It's the second coil from the bottom rubbing the lower control arm cup.

agonzales62451

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
It's not the small gap on the top isolator as I have the same gap. It's the second coil from the bottom rubbing the lower control arm cup.
I believe so as well

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It's definitely not a common issue, and one we've only dealt with once in regards to Cajun's set. I did speak with our Manufacturer and made him aware of the two instances to see if it was something we needed to consider. During Manufacturing, there will be a tolerance among all of the Springs made during that batch. Even if coiled around a Mandrel, there will be a small window on what is acceptable on their end.

I replied to your email with my contact information, so once you have a moment give me a call and we'll go over a few options and see what would be best for you.

Matt

agonzales62451

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Matt, thanks. Just returned your email and phone call. Thank you for your responsiveness and support.

As an update to the situation I was able to bring the spring out (was only occurring on left side in my case) and reinstall the spring using a small pry bar when compressing the suspension with floor jack slightly offset towards rear center of the vehicle. The picture attached is the space I was able to create under load. Got her aligned and Victory Ford this morning and all is good to go. So no more noise, rides good and looks great.

I would encourage anyone installing the springs to compress the suspension and check for clearance as you will not notice until there is a load on the springs.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #33
It's definitely not a common issue, and one we've only dealt with once in regards to Cajun's set. I did speak with our Manufacturer and made him aware of the two instances to see if it was something we needed to consider. During Manufacturing, there will be a tolerance among all of the Springs made during that batch. Even if coiled around a Mandrel, there will be a small window on what is acceptable on their end.

I replied to your email with my contact information, so once you have a moment give me a call and we'll go over a few options and see what would be best for you.

Matt
ive been having the same issue with mine since i installed as well. it began as a clunking sound in the rear but later turned into a squeaking sound similar to a pair of leaf springs. my fronts are beginning to squeak as well.

hskrs10

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
I'm in the same situation, I'm going to look at it today and see if I'm having the same issue.

agonzales62451

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
I'm in the same situation, I'm going to look at it today and see if I'm having the same issue.
Use a small pry to adjust the spring position slightly while putting a load on it with floor jack. I tighten everything up with floor jack in place. So bushing and everything would be adjusted to new ride height.

hskrs10

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
Use a small pry to adjust the spring position slightly while putting a load on it with floor jack. I tighten everything up with floor jack in place. So bushing and everything would be adjusted to new ride height.

I did, I jacked up the control arm there wasn't enough room to place a playing card in between the spring and control arm so I tried to pry a little space, then tighten everything to torque spec to see if that helps. I hope Lethal has a fix or recall on these

agonzales62451

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
I had to lower the sub frame and push that inside back control arm bolt through one side and disconnect sway bar linkage to get the spring out or loose enough to get any significant movement out of the spring. Where you successful?

hskrs10

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
I had to lower the sub frame and push that inside back control arm bolt through one side and disconnect sway bar linkage to get the spring out or loose enough to get any significant movement out of the spring. Where you successful?

No I wasn't, still making the same noise. I'll wait to see what Lethal says. I'll probably end up getting different springs

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #39
No I wasn't, still making the same noise. I'll wait to see what Lethal says. I'll probably end up getting different springs
im in the same boat, im thinking H/R but ive heard mixed reviews on the spring rates being too soft

hskrs10

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
im in the same boat, im thinking H/R but ive heard mixed reviews on the spring rates being too soft
Not many options so H&R or Steeda.