Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Squeaking noise coming from lowering springs

Decoynj66

Reactions
I'm now having same issue with mine! I'm pissed because this will cost me more money for a manufacturer issue. General question....was the lethal lettering on front and back springs normal or upside down after install?

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #43
I'm now having same issue with mine! I'm pissed because this will cost me more money for a manufacturer issue. General question....was the lethal lettering on front and back springs normal or upside down after install?
I'll check today when I get home

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I wonder if there was a certain run of these that have issue because I know there are many out there that don't seem to have this issue. I'm worried mine are effected because I bought mine during the Black Friday Month sale. Won't be installing until spring. When did everyone that has issues purchase?

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #45
I wonder if there was a certain run of these that have issue because I know there are many out there that don't seem to have this issue. I'm worried mine are effected because I bought mine during the Black Friday Month sale. Won't be installing until spring. When did everyone that has issues purchase?
I placed my order 9/14/22

Decoynj66

Reactions
Lethal told me today a new shipment of inventory will be in this week. They said going to check spring sizes to see if way different between them. Guess going to talk to my shop about adjusting them under load and check tolerances. Still not happy about all this and if New springs are required....they should be responsible for parts and labor to replace them

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The lettering is upside down in the front and right side up on the rears for installation on my set.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The lettering is upside down in the front and right side up on the rears for installation on my set.
Such a simple thing to get right.

hskrs10

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
In talks with Lethal performance, I had to measure the spring and got them the info. They are going to replace them with the new inventory there getting so that's good, the bad is now I have to remove the springs and install the stock springs so I can send them the lowering springs before they'll replace them. Glad it's a quick 10min job :mad:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah, no offense intended but I wouldn't feel like I'm being taken care of in an arrangement like that. It isn't uncommon for early adopters to experience problems with newly released products.

Interaction between the customer, vendor, and manufacturer can help both the vendor and manufacturer get things on track and deliver a quality product in short order when a problem is discovered. In this case, it's likely that there is a problem with "stacked tolerances" between the Ford control arm and the new spring.

That said because the spring manufacturer is providing the replacement part, they have to take into consideration the + or - tolerances of the factory's lower control arm and provide a part that works within those tolerances. Don't get me wrong, it could be a Ford problem but the resolution weighs heavily in the aftermarket spring manufacturer's arena if they are going to sell into this market.

I understand that $$$'s can be wasted in shipping costs going back and forth but that is often the price vendors/manufacturers pay to get a quality product to market. I further understand that Lethal Performance (a great company) is in the middle of this, they can only sell what they assume to be a quality part. Having a good-natured customer willing to be the guinea pig in a case like this is a blessing, and the process should take the least painful route for the customer.

I'd want to have a new set of springs in my possession so that I could measure or check the fit as soon as the bad part is removed. It may turn out that the replacement part isn't any better than the first, but if it is the vehicle is back on the road sooner.

I know this sounds a little harsh on my end but I had a problem similar to this with Magnaflow and the problem was 100% their fault. They left me with a cut factory pipe, and an Edge sitting in the air in my garage for a week before they told me they were not going to make it right. This after telling me, thanks for discovering the problem, and what they would do to make it right. That's a story for a different day but I understand @hskrs10 position.

Your vehicle sits while someone else decides whether or not new springs are headed your way. No thanks. I'd pull the bad springs off and have a new set of HR or Steeda springs just waiting to replace them.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
they should give an option to "purchase" the replacement springs as a "Core" so you dot have to do the work twice. :whistle:

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah, no offense intended but I wouldn't feel like I'm being taken care of in an arrangement like that. It isn't uncommon for early adopters to experience problems with newly released products.

Interaction between the customer, vendor, and manufacturer can help both the vendor and manufacturer get things on track and deliver a quality product in short order when a problem is discovered. In this case, it's likely that there is a problem with "stacked tolerances" between the Ford control arm and the new spring.

That said because the spring manufacturer is providing the replacement part, they have to take into consideration the + or - tolerances of the factory's lower control arm and provide a part that works within those tolerances. Don't get me wrong, it could be a Ford problem but the resolution weighs heavily in the aftermarket spring manufacturer's arena if they are going to sell into this market.

I understand that $$$'s can be wasted in shipping costs going back and forth but that is often the price vendors/manufacturers pay to get a quality product to market. Having a good-natured customer willing to help out in a case like this is a blessing, and the process should take the least painful route for the customer.

I'd want to have a new set of springs in my possession so that I could measure or check the fit as soon as the bad part is removed. It may turn out that the replacement part isn't any better than the first, but if it is the vehicle is back on the road sooner.

I know this sounds a little harsh on my end but I had a problem similar to this with Magnaflow and the problem was 100% their fault. They left me with a cut factory pipe, and an Edge sitting in the air in my garage for a week before they told me they were not going to make it right. This after telling me thanks for discovering the problem and what they would do to make it right. That's a story for a different day but I understand @hskrs10 position.

Your vehicle sits while someone else decides whether or not new springs are headed your way. No thanks. I'd pull the bad springs off and have a new set of HR or Steeda springs just waiting to replace them.
I couldn't agree more. I'd want to be reimbursed labor cost for both spring swaps and would just buy a set of Steeda and call it a day.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
they should give an option to "purchase" the replacement springs as a "Core" so you dot have to do the work twice. :whistle:
I understand this mindset too, but why should the customer have to lay out the money, to get his vehicle, that he's already worked on once back on the road? He should be done with this process. Someone should do their best to erase the "pain" that he still faces to have his vehicle in the condition it should already be in.

I know he'd get the money back but what did he do wrong that makes him the entity that is going the extra mile? I'm of the opinion someone should be busting their butt to make the customer happy and keep them as a potential future customer.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I understand this mindset too, but why should the customer have to lay out the money, to get his vehicle, that he's already worked on once back on the road? He should be done with this process. Someone should do their best to erase the "pain" that he still faces to have his vehicle in the condition it should already be in.

I know he'd get the money back but what did he do wrong that makes him the entity that is going the extra mile? I'm of the opinion someone should be busting their butt to make the customer happy and keep them as a potential future customer.
You're right in your assertion and I only speak out as though playing devils advocate - I do see it from the business side here. You're already taking a heavy hit by paying shipping to return the bad springs back (I would assume they are) then paying to pack and ship the new ones out. I would venture to say that the springs had a real small margin in them in the first place as metal pricing has continued to rise, but if things go right, their name on the springs for such a visible position in the ST market makes sense to have the smaller margins for market share. I hope for both Lethal and members of the ST community that there will be a minimal impact.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
In talks with Lethal performance, I had to measure the spring and got them the info. They are going to replace them with the new inventory there getting so that's good, the bad is now I have to remove the springs and install the stock springs so I can send them the lowering springs before they'll replace them. Glad it's a quick 10min job :mad:
Would you be willing to share the measurements you took and what the newer inventory specs are supposed to be? I'd like to check mine right now before I install only to find they are out of tolerance as well. I'll shoot you a PM

Decoynj66

Reactions
They told me they would measure the latest springs when they come in. Asked them the other day and they werent in yet. My noise stopped two days ago, for right now, for some reason. Lethal should pay labor costs also and I even said that to them.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
They told me they would measure the latest springs when they come in. Asked them the other day and they werent in yet. My noise stopped two days ago, for right now, for some reason. Lethal should pay labor costs also and I even said that to them.
The noise on my rear springs would come and go depending on whether they were wet or not. The only real solution is to pry the spring away from the lower control arm seat edge, or replace them with a different spring set.

In all of the conversations I am seeing here with buyers with the Lethal springs is measuring height and not if the rear springs were modified to change the way they center themselves on the lower coils. That later is what I am most interested in, besides them not being as low as advertised both front and back.

Just in case anyone was wondering, yes I have been talking to Lethal outside of this forum for a real fix to this issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So Cajun What is the diameter measurement of the spring at the lower coils? Assuming that's the issue since I hear they don't center themselves far enough away from the side of the lower control arm? I'm trying to figure out where to measure and look before actually going through the install process only to find out there is a problem. I'd rather swap out the springs for a new set before getting that far into it.

Last edited:

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So Cajun What is the diameter measurement of the spring at the lower coils? Assuming that's the issue since I hear they don't center themselves far enough away from the side of the lower control arm? I'm trying to figure out where to measure and look before actually going through the install process only to find out there is a problem. I'd rather swap out the springs for a new set before getting that far into it.
I think it is both.

Both springs are about 5" in diameter in the center but it looks like the difference is the second coil from the bottom on both. The factory one looks to wait until the 3rd coil before it goes to the full 5" diameter where the Lethal spring goes to the full diameter on the 2nd coil.

I know that once you have the spring set in the isolators where it wants to center itself, you will need to pry the spring away from the lower control arm side on the tire side towards the center the car.

I wish I would have taken a picture of the Lethal springs side by side to the factory ones before I installed them. Can you take a picture of the Lethal spring with the flat side of the spring down?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I think it is both.

Both springs are about 5" in diameter in the center but it looks like the difference is the second coil from the bottom on both. The factory one looks to wait until the 3rd coil before it goes to the full 5" diameter where the Lethal spring goes to the full diameter on the 2nd coil.
Can you take a picture of the Lethal spring with the flat side of the spring down?
I see exactly what you mean. I'd be interested to see if they have changed the design to more replicate the OEM taper with the new run of them.
If so, might be requesting an exchange.

Attachments

Explorer ST Posts