Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Poll: How many have experienced a "rear axle bolt fracture" (POLL CLOSED 6-4-22)

Have you experienced a rear axle bolt fracture with your ST?

• Yes - 2020 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 2022 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Why would it cover the 4 bolts?
And the date ranges that FORD gave wouldn't seem to support that theory.

View attachment 13123
My 4 bolt was built in Sept./20 and since I picked it up on the 27th, I would say 4 bolters are included in the date ranges included.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #202
My 4 bolt was built in Sept./20 and since I picked it up on the 27th, I would say 4 bolters are included in the date ranges included.
Is yours a 2020 model? If so, it's only showing recalls on that date for those 2020 models built at the Chicago Assembly/ Chicago SHO center.

This is all getting very confusing ...

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Is yours a 2020 model? If so, it's only showing recalls on that date for those 2020 models built at the Chicago Assembly/ Chicago SHO center.

Mine is a 2020 built in Chicago October 2019. It sure looks like it falls under the recall. But no notice so far.

Reactions
Why would it cover the 4 bolts?
And the date ranges that FORD gave wouldn't seem to support that theory.

View attachment 13123
The date ranges in that document go from 2018 to 2022... wouldn't that cover the 4 bolts? I know according to the date ranges, my 2020 4 bolt is included but I have no notice. So the date ranges that FORD gave would indeed support that theory.

Reactions

Yes, one of the last 2020s.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #206
Yes, one of the last 2020s.
So if yours was built at the Chicago Assembly/Chicago SHO center it's in the recall. Otherwise, it's not.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #207
The date ranges in that document go from 2018 to 2022... wouldn't that cover the 4 bolts? I know according to the date ranges, my 2020 4 bolt is included but I have no notice. So the date ranges that FORD gave would indeed support that theory.
If people with 4 bolts within that date range aren't getting a recall notice, then FORD has to be using specific VIN's within those date ranges and the theory would be invalid.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #209
VIN code is G for Chicago Assembly.
If that's the case and you didn't get a recall notice, then I have to consider recall notices are going out in line with individual VIN numbers.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #212
Yup. G here as well. Covered by 22S27 based on build date. Guess FORD "recalled" everything and on the backend is going by vin
To be honest, I don't know what's going on regarding how FORD decides which vehicles get the recall and which one's don't.

The one thing I do know for sure though, is that with only a reported 235 bolt shears out of several hundred thousand, is that they are as rare as hens teeth.

Last edited:
Reactions
No broken bolt on my 21.
But I did call Ford and open a complaint case about the fact that the police interceptors get the correct rear subframe, instead of a lame workaround in the NHTSA recall.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Keep us updated on what Ford does. I am thinking about calling also.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think I may call as well. Who do you guys recommend? Customer service line?

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #215
I want to call them to let them know that I'm aware you two guys called them. heh heh

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just an official announcement to all of you loyal posters. Since we're now on the 99th different rear axle thread, we've decided to change the name of this website from explorerst.org to ExplorerAxleFailure.com. Because of the number of posts on the only other subject that attracts posts, we'll start a companion site: FordDidn'tDeliverMyExplorerOnTIme.com.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Just an official announcement to all of you loyal posters. Since we're now on the 99th different rear axle thread, we've decided to change the name of this website from explorerst.org to ExplorerAxleFailure.com. Because of the number of posts on the only other subject that attracts posts, we'll start a companion site: FordDidn'tDeliverMyExplorerOnTIme.com.
Under-rated post lol

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Im sure FiremanGuy Will be happy

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #220
Please do. Make a complaint while you're at it.
What should I complain to them about? Our poll which shows a .7% failure rate, or their own data which shows a .09% failure rate?:cool:

Im sure FiremanGuy Will be happy
Unlike some of our First Responder counterparts (LEO's) most Firefighters are born happy!;)