Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Poll: How many have experienced a "rear axle bolt fracture" (POLL CLOSED 6-4-22)

Have you experienced a rear axle bolt fracture with your ST?

• Yes - 2020 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 2022 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Your anecdotal evidence is is not proof. Have you even thought about this critically? If you had, you would see that not only did they "leave the assembly line without a 4th bolt like ford was designed to have", you'd have done enough research to be taken seriously. Did you notice that the isolator is completely different in the later models? That alone tells me that Ford did some research into the matter prior to making the change. Have you thought about the actual cost? Probably about $20 between the 1 bolt and 2 bolt models. I guess your argument is that Ford purposely saved $20 per car so they could spend $2k fixing it. If that were the case, I wouldn't buy another Ford again- and neither should you. As far as a recall, have you considered that Ford is trying to stay proactive in spite of a handful of failures, during difficult times to try to make sure their customers are safe? I know it's easy to buy into conspiracy theories, especially if they suit our own narrative, but try, try to think about analytically and critically.
I have not seen that claim until now. Perhaps, it’s true but i know it’s not. I believe You’re wrong on that. If that was the case then why are they doing a hardware fix to add in the second bolt for the interceptors?

Maybe they thought they could get away with it? That wouldn’t be the first time a company goes that route

really? Lol companies no matter who they are will do literally anything to save money!

100% they’re being proactive. And I applaud them for finally acknowledging it and making moves. But still doesn’t change how unacceptable it is.

But if you can find me data that shows the 3 bolt setup was engineered to be as strong as the 4 bolt setup I would love to see it. hint, you won’t because otherwise this wouldn’t be an issue.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My last words on this subject- take a look at the pics of the isolators on the 1 bolt vs 2 bolts. But hey, you "know it's not". But, you are absolutely entitled to your position. Sell that piece of shit immediately and buy something else since they're obviously trying to rip you off to save a bit of money!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My last words on this subject- take a look at the pics of the isolators on the 1 bolt vs 2 bolts. But hey, you "know it's not". But, you are absolutely entitled to your position. Sell that piece of shit immediately and buy something else since they're obviously trying to rip you off to save a bit of money!
Why are they replacing the hardware then for the fix?? Why has one of the members here who had theirs snap, they replaced it with the two bolt setup.

look I want to believe you and I wish you had something to show me that it’s true. That would make me feel better. But I guess you don’t have anything for me and are just going off looks of the bolt.

I absolutely love my ST and no way I’d sell.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #164
someone just posted a video braking his bolt at the drag strip. ford fixed with same single bolt. here is the link to thread

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/video-of-diff-bolt-failure-and-fords-response.3886/#post-50141
That ST was heavily modded and taken down the quarter mile many times. Wouldn't have expected anything different.

It's people with stock ST's who are getting unnecessarily worked up over vids like that.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #165
1-131

It's been over a month now, was thinking about closing the poll.
But the NO votes keep coming in ...

Reactions
1-131

It's been over a month now, was thinking about closing the poll.
But the NO votes keep coming in ...
Facebook group has a handful of people who have had the break happen.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #167
That's what I heard, and they have over 11,200 members.

Seems to confirm our poll results and also FORD's data the nearly everyone is problem free.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That's what I heard, and they have over 11,200 members.

Seems to confirm our poll results and also FORD's data the nearly everyone is problem free.
I don't look at the Facebook group much. Very seldom do you see a sane discussion there.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #169
I don't look at the Facebook group much. Very seldom do you see a sane discussion there.
hahahahaha

I got off Cr@pbook long ago. Too much biased censoring, like most of mainstream media.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #170
1-132

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #171
1-133

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #172
1-134

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #173
1-135

Maybe we should just call the risk of shearing a bolt virtually zero and close the poll.:cool:

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #174
1-136

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #175
I HAVE CLOSED THE POLL

After 6 weeks the results are indisputable: bolt shears are incredibly rare.

This Poll conforms to FORD's own published data that the number of breaks is measured in tenths of one percent, minuscule.

Thank you for your participation.

Webhito

Reactions
Sorry for being late to the party but Mine also shredded off at 16000 kms, was not tuned at the moment of the occurence but it happened turning left at a stop, felt a loud bang and some grinding, mine had a mild 91 octane tune and was never tracked, launched it probably half a dozen times but did give it the beans to overpass anytime I needed to.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #177
Sorry for being late to the party but Mine also shredded off at 16000 kms, was not tuned at the moment of the occurence but it happened turning left at a stop, felt a loud bang and some grinding, mine had a mild 91 octane tune and was never tracked, launched it probably half a dozen times but did give it the beans to overpass anytime I needed to.
Thanks for chiming in! Sorry to hear you were the less than 1% of people with a bolt shear.

You say it wasn't tuned when it occurred at 10,000 miles, but that it "had" a 91 tune.

What brand tune did you have, why did you remove the tune before the bolt gave way, and what year/production date was your ST?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions
No broken bolt on my 21.
But I did call Ford and open a complaint case about the fact that the police interceptors get the correct rear subframe, instead of a lame workaround in the NHTSA recall.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Webhito

Reactions
Thanks for chiming in! Sorry to hear you were the less than 1% of people with a bolt shear.

You say it wasn't tuned when it occurred at 10,000 miles, but that it had a 91 tune.

Why did you remove the tune before the bolt gave way, and what year was your ST?
Tune was removed due to my cold starts having some random smoke come out from the right hand side exhaust, thought it had something from the tune itself but its not, never had the time to load it back into the ecu, had it without a tune for around a month or so when it snapped.

My 91 octane tune was from unleashed, should be around what these get stock with 93 octane gas, if not a little less.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #180
No broken bolt on my 21.
But I did call Ford and open a complaint case about the fact that the police interceptors get the correct rear subframe, instead of a lame workaround in the NHTSA recall.
I assume you have the 1 bolt rear, right? Let us know if anything comes of your call.

Tune was removed due to my cold starts having some random smoke come out from the right hand side exhaust, thought it had something from the tune itself but its not, never had the time to load it back into the ecu, had it without a tune for around a month or so when it snapped.

My 91 octane tune was from unleashed, should be around what these get stock with 93 octane gas, if not a little less.
A guy on YT who used the 91 Unleashed Tune said it ups wheel hp to 400. That's a substantial increase over the 330-340 hp a stock ST makes.

What year was your ST?

Last edited:

Explorer ST Posts