Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Poll: How many have experienced a "rear axle bolt fracture" (POLL CLOSED 6-4-22)

Have you experienced a rear axle bolt fracture with your ST?

• Yes - 2020 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 2022 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
So it turns out I have this issue on a 2020 at 38k miles. Those who think 2020’s are immune think again.

Webhito

Reactions
So it turns out I have this issue on a 2020 at 38k miles. Those who think 2020’s are immune think again.
Stock or tuned?

It took my dealership 3 months to repair mine, last part to arrive was the cover since they did not have it in stock nor did it exist in their database.
Besides the snapped bolt it was also smoking on cold start from the drivers side exhaust. I have sold mine but still will keep roaming on this forum to see if Ford will ever give it a proper fix.

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Stock or tuned?

It took my dealership 3 months to repair mine, last part to arrive was the cover since they did not have it in stock nor did it exist in their database.
Besides the snapped bolt it was also smoking on cold start from the drivers side exhaust. I have sold mine but still will keep roaming on this forum to see if Ford will ever give it a proper fix.
Stock. Parts list to long to recall. Will circle back when I have the full list in print but I remember front driver side A frame an axle and diff case I think. JL

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #225
Sorry to hear that. But then I see all these 2020 guys with tunes making 500-550 hp with no problems?

I know it's of no consolation to you, but the data still shows few if any people snapping their bolts. Hmm ...

Reactions
Stock. Parts list to long to recall. Will circle back when I have the full list in print but I remember front driver side A frame an axle and diff case I think. JL
And you blew the REAR out right? Looking at the swap thread I don't see a front A frame. Just a big hunk of aluminum for the lower control arm. But I'm not a mechanic and I'm too lazy to go slide under mine right now or do much digging on parts websites.

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
And you blew the REAR out right? Looking at the swap thread I don't see a front A frame. Just a big hunk of aluminum for the lower control arm. But I'm not a mechanic and I'm too lazy to go slide under mine right now or do much digging on parts websites.
Yeah, they're saying it's related to this recall somehow, but they're replacing the front left as part of the two part problem. I have the hard shift, and the issue related to P to R. But they're also changing out some of the parts related to the rear (diff?) case and bolts to be sure. I'll find out more in a week or so when these first round of parts come in and they see what's what.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #228
One thing stands out, none of this makes any sense.

Highly tuned cars, no problems. Highly tuned cars, some with problems.
Stock vehicles, no problems. Stock vehicles, blown parts.
Broken parts, a snapped bolt. Broken parts, everything under the sun being replaced.

There's no way to figure out what is actually going on, with what year vehicles, with what failures are involved, and with the wide latitude of reported fixes that were made.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #229
Okay, I'm not on LeftistBook but I can view the "Explorer ST Owners" page.

Seems some guy with a tuned ST just broke a rear diff bolt (no brace) and the post has the usual hundred comments.

Then someone said stock ST's have broken their bolts "left and right", but two posts later says he's seen "at least one person" with a stock vehicle and a broken bolt.

Remind me to avoid social media whenever at all possible ...

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
You’re letting this 1 bolt vs 2 bolt situation really get to you to the point of obsession just enjoy your vehicle.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #231
You're allowing perpetrators of falsehoods to pass you by to the point of radical indifference just keep your eye on the bouncing ball.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #232
Keep your wits about you people. Stay informed and read in between the lines. There is no other way ...

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You’re letting this 1 bolt vs 2 bolt situation really get to you to the point of obsession just enjoy your vehicle.
But hey, look at the snappy comebacks he has! Unfortunately they're not intelligible.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
You're allowing perpetrators of falsehoods to pass you by to the point of radical indifference just keep your eye on the bouncing ball.

Verbal Diarrhoea
Trash talking Dip stick that simply verballises to entertain, usually with not much luck what so ever.

A: Did i tell you about that time...
B: No.
A: Well lemme...
B: No.
A: Well you see that i do this.
A: And that.
A: And this.
A: And woo woo damn woo hiyady.
B: Gee you talk some shit, anyone would think you had Verbal Diarrhoea.
A: Well infact...
B: Yeah i know you do.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Keep your wits about you people. Stay informed and read in between the lines. There is no other way ...
Nonsensical verbal diarrhea. Blathering a neverending stream of craziness at someone who has no interest in and/or cannot understand what you're talking about without a break in "conversation" allowing for them to politely escape.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #238
Seeing no responses to my posts about the malarky on LeftBook's "Explorer ST Owners" page, I ask people to remember that to be uninformed on a topic is the same as having no working knowledge on that topic.

So if some people make the wild claim that even stock ST's are breaking rear bolts "left and right", followed up with their saying "they've only seen one person report that", then that exhibits a total disregard for truth telling in lieu of passing along a false premise so as to invoke needless fear.

Again, we need to read in between the lines and not become intellectually lazy ...

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Seeing no responses to my posts about the malarky on LeftBook's "Explorer ST Owners" page, I ask people to remember that to be uninformed on a topic is the same as having no working knowledge on that topic.

So if some people make the wild claim that even stock ST's are breaking rear bolts "left and right", followed up with their saying "they've only seen one person report that", then that exhibits a total disregard for truth telling in lieu of passing along a false premise so as to invoke needless fear.

Again, we need to read in between the lines and not become intellectually lazy ...
On and on about 1 and 2 bolts please stop you’re just embarrassing yourself …

Attachments

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Welp, it’s a valid enough concern when Ford issued a warranty extension with a 1-time repair of the single-bolt failure.

As an aside, polling in the make-believe world of social media (including forums) means dick in the real world. It doesn’t make you informed unless you count “mis-information”. I do get your point fireman, but it would be much better if this thread was actually “closed”.