Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Poll: How many have experienced a "rear axle bolt fracture" (POLL CLOSED 6-4-22)

Have you experienced a rear axle bolt fracture with your ST?

• Yes - 2020 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 2022 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Welp, it’s a valid enough concern when Ford issued a warranty extension with a 1-time repair of the single-bolt failure.

As an aside, polling in the make-believe world of social media (including forums) means dick in the real world. It doesn’t make you informed unless you count “mis-information”. I do get your point fireman, but it would be much better if this thread was actually “closed”.
Locking this thread is a good idea. It's turned into nothing more than trying to pee further than the next guy.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #242
Welp, it’s a valid enough concern when Ford issued a warranty extension with a 1-time repair of the single-bolt failure.

As an aside, polling in the make-believe world of social media (including forums) means dick in the real world. It doesn’t make you informed unless you count “mis-information”. I do get your point fireman, but it would be much better if this thread was actually “closed”.
Well, it's a valid point that just because FORD permitted a one year warranty extension that its seriousness means squat in the real world.

That fact aside, polling remains valid here because this is an Explorer ST specific forum so it doesn't get any more real than that. People love to be fed misinformation if it suits their agenda, but the truth is FORD's numbers show .09% rear bolt breaks, so it would be much better if closed minded people stayed out and this thread stayed open.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #243
Locking this thread is a good idea. It's turned into nothing more than trying to pee further than the next guy.
Locking things up is weak. Theres already too much of that cr@p going on in this world. If you are too sensitive to real men talking about real issues, then scour elsewhere.

Reactions
Well, it's a valid point that just because FORD permittted a one year warranty extension that its seriousness means squat in the real world.

That fact aside, polling remains valid here because this is a Explorer ST specific forum so it doesn't get any more real than that. People love to be fed misinformation if it suits their agenda, but the truth is FORD's numbers show .09% rear bolt breaks, so it would be much better if closed minded people stayed out and this thread stayed open.
And it's been shown to you that Ford's own numbers are incorrect therefore skewing the data from ford... so the. 09% is, using information, misinformation since the recall states ALL are covered under the recall including the 2/4 bolt

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Locking things up is weak. Theres already too much of that cr@p going on in this world. If you are too sensitive to real men talking about real issues, then scour elsewhere.
So you think an endless pissing match serves a purpose? Well that's just plain stupid. Maybe the reason you enjoy this thread so much. And I will continue to read where I choose to. Not for you to tell me where.

Reactions
I'm buying the AWR brace for my 2022

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #247
And it's been shown to you that Ford's own numbers are incorrect therefore skewing the data from ford... so the. 09% is, using information, misinformation since the recall states ALL are covered under the recall including the 2/4 bolt
And it's been proven to you that people have lied about all the supposed rear bolt breaks they've "seen"... so the .09% figure remains legit, using the only concrete information that we have, misinformation coming from deceitful owners hell bent on spreading PANIC on both the 1/3 and 2/4 bolts.

I'm buying the AWR brace for my 2022
If that's what you want to do because you're tuning your vehicle, then go for it!

Reactions
If that's what you want to do because you're tuning your vehicle, then go for it!
Yep, it will get tuned. My 2016 F150 has been tuned since 2018 and seen many passes down the drag strip. Hope to do the same with this vehicle.

Reactions
And it's been proven to you that people have lied about all the supposed rear bolt breaks they've "seen"... so the .09% figure remains legit, using the only concrete information that we have, misinformation coming from deceitful owners hell bent on spreading PANIC on both the 1/3 and 2/4 bolts.

Are you that blind to not see that the information on the recall notice includes vehicles that aren't affected? Using the information that YOU have provided from FORDs letter shows that the4 bolt 2020s are included when many aren't included as the notice isn't in the owners app or shown on the FORD owners website. So again... the numbers FORD gave have been shown to be skewed. I believe many here have come to the realization that your obsession with this rear end is blinding you. I doing care how many have "seen" breaks. I KNOW that the letter included vehicles that aren't affected. Misinformation from you is still just that...misinformation...

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #250
Yep, it will get tuned. My 2016 F150 has been tuned since 2018 and seen many passes down the drag strip. Hope to do the same with this vehicle.
Let us know how you do.

I've been into keeping my vehicles stock for at least the last decade (Mustangs, Taurus SHO, Stinger GT, etc.).

A big change from when I used to bring them home from the dealer and started stripping parts off of them. Lol

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Humorous thread. Happy i upgraded to a 2 bolt! Now if i can keep the tranny in one piece, that would be wonderful. Not counting those chickens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #252
That's 'cause I'm a funny guy, writing such humourous material like ...

"I tried to get my ST in for an oil change, but was told by the Service Dept that they're backlogged with all the one bolt repairs."

NOT!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Humorous thread. Happy i upgraded to a 2 bolt! Now if i can keep the tranny in one piece, that would be wonderful. Not counting those chickens
Perhaps you could pioneer a 10R80 swap? If you felt like going way over kill you could always see if the 10R140 would fit :ROFLMAO:

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #254
I revisited one of the first articles that reported the bolt shear and found two interesting items (highlighted in yellow).

First, that FORD Engineering was aware of the problem on 8/10/21.
Second, that Dakotta (the assembler of the rear module) applied 2 "corrective actions" (in 02/20 and again in 04/20).

What were those "corrective actions"?

Untitledq.jpg

Reactions
Perhaps you could pioneer a 10R80 swap? If you felt like going way over kill you could always see if the 10R140 would fit :ROFLMAO:
Nah. If he's going to pioneer anything he should pioneer adding a third pedal because...manual swap!!

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #256
Anybody? Would like to see people's guesses as to what those two "corrective actions" were.

And if those two actions are the reason we're not seeing anywhere near the number of reported breaks as some people would have us believe.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
“Dakkota, the rear module supplier, made corrections during production and implemented new torque tools.”

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #258
Okay, if nobody responds I get it.

Because the gargantuan elephant in the room is that even if a paltry 10% of vehicles in the recall broke their bolt, that would literally mean 25,000 thousand people swarming the internet with their stories. But the fact remains we're just not seeing it. And everyone well knows that if that many occurred, we would definitely see it.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #259
TO FORUM MOD:

As I take an overview of this topic, it's apparent that it has nowhere to go. We're not seeing anything close to what some people would have us believe regarding breaks.

Feel free to close this thread as you wish, it's played its course.

CareerFiremanGuy

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions