Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Poll: How many have experienced a "rear axle bolt fracture" (POLL CLOSED 6-4-22)

Have you experienced a rear axle bolt fracture with your ST?

• Yes - 2020 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 2022 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Webhito

Reactions
I assume you have the 1 bolt rear, right? Let us know if anything comes of your call.

A guy on YT who used the 91 Unleashed Tune said the it ups wheel hp to 400. That's a substantial increase over the 330-340 hp a stock ST makes.

What year was your ST?
Well, I guess that could be the reason then, hah!

Its a 2021 with the 3 bolt frame, guess I will keep it stock once it gets back from repairs, I know of one other person that has had their snap twice in 15.000 miles, gonna have to ask if hers is tuned or not, but I am guessing that its stock.

Btw, sorry for the downvote, I hit the wrong button, corrected!

Last edited:
OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #182
Well, I guess that could be the reason then, hah!

Its a 2021 with the 3 bolt frame, guess I will keep it stock once it gets back from repairs, I know of one other person that has had their snap twice in 15.000 miles, gonna have to ask if hers is tuned or not, but I am guessing that its stock.

Btw, sorry for the downvote, I hit the wrong button, corrected!
Downvote me, I can take it! Lol

I gotta tell you, its hard for me to believe it happened twice to somebody but not even once to 99.907% (FORD's data) of everybody else.

Bad batch of bolts?

Hope your car gets repaired ASAP.

Webhito

Reactions
Downvote me, I can take it! Lol

I gotta tell you, its hard for me to believe it happened twice to somebody but not even once to 99.907% (FORD's data) of everybody else.

Bad batch of bolts?

Hope your car gets repaired ASAP.

Yea, me too, the fishy thing is that down here in Mexico, the part number they are trying to get ( differential cover ) is not even listed yet as a part, no stock, no eta whatsoever. Its been sitting in the dealerships lot for 3 weeks and could be there for at least a couple months.

The good thing is that it will be repaired, free of charge, the same ( one free fix for your peace of mind ) does not apply here in Mexico, not even the tsb is available.

Last edited:
OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #184
Yea, me too, the fishy thing is that down here in Mexico, the part number they are trying to get ( differential cover ) is not even listed yet as a part, no stock, no eta whatsoever. Its been sitting in the dealerships lot for 3 weeks and could be there for at least a couple months.

The good thing is that it will be repaired, free of charge, the same ( one free fix for your peace of mind ) does not apply here in Mexico, not even the tsb is available.
Wow, very sorry to hear about the time delay. I hope they gave you a loaner car.

Webhito

Reactions
Wow, very sorry to hear about the time delay. I hope they gave you a loaner car.
No loaner, no eta for parts as it does not even show up in their database, whats funnier is that they will not let me purchase the part from another store in the US and have them use it to finish my repairs, they have to use the part that comes directly from their supply chain or will void my warranty ( even if its the exact same part ), mind you, this is in Mexico.

I have always been a Ford guy but this gives me enough reasons to finally move away from them for good.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #186
... I have always been a Ford guy but this gives me enough reasons to finally move away from them for good.
I'm not sure you'll experience anything different from other manufacturers.

Reactions
The resolution - have the PCM putting the ebrake on every time you put the vehicle in park - is BS! What a pain! With all the issues we have had with this vehicle it's not been worth it.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Was having some work done at the dealer today. Was talking to both the advisor and mechanic. I wanted them to go over all the bolts for the rear subframe to double check my work and then do an alignment.

They both were saying they don't think the bolt will be the end solution. He seemed to think I had a good chance of getting by subframe paid for down the road. They were also very cool about my mods. They also asked me how the heck I got my recall done without going to the dealer....then he saw my laptop and VCI and knew I had a Ford subscription.

On a not so good side they could net get rear camber on the passenger wheel below -1.7. Guess I'll be finding a better alignment shop.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #189
... Was talking to both the advisor and mechanic ... He seemed to think I had a good chance of getting by subframe paid for down the road.
I hope that's true but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.:unsure:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No doubt. From their point of view apparently there is a lot of discussion and a lot more failures. They have seen 4 that snapped the bolt. All stock. They were not impressed with the new bolt solution and did not expect it to resolve the problem. He said if Ford continues to see failures they will have little choice but to offer an alternative solution. Was willing to bet me $50 that by the end of year I would have my crossmember paid for. Needless to say I took him up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #191
...They have seen 4 that snapped the bolt. All stock.
Said the owners when they de-tuned them after getting back from the drag strip.:rolleyes:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Said the owners when they de-tuned them after getting back from the drag strip.:rolleyes:
Haha, they checked flashes. So they told me. Supposedly Ford now wants that done with bolt failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #193
Haha, they checked flashes. So they told me. Supposedly Ford now wants that done with bolt failures.
So either FORD lied about their bolt shear data (doubtful) or the dealer was exaggerating/misinformed (more likely.)

I say that because as of April 2022, FORD recorded 235 warranty claims for rear bolt shears out of 252,936 units involved in the recall. That equals a bolt shear rate of .092%, which has me wondering how they already had four just at their dealership. Using that percentage data, they would've had to have sold 4,347 of the recalled vehicles to have seen 4 bolt shears.

I don't know, something just doesn't jive there?

Reactions
So either FORD lied about their bolt shear data (doubtful) or the dealer was exaggerating/misinformed (more likely.)

I say that because as of April 2022, FORD recorded 235 warranty claims for rear bolt shears out of 252,936 units involved in the recall. That equals a bolt shear rate of .092%, which has me wondering how they already had four just at their dealership. Using that percentage data, they would've had to have sold 4,347 of the recalled vehicles to have seen 4 bolt shears.

I don't know, something just doesn't jive there?
What doesn't jive is that ford's numbers for the recall are likely wrong since the recall covers EVERYTHING made including all the 4 bolt units made. So the ~253,000 is most likely a gross overstatement on Fords side.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #199
What doesn't jive is that ford's numbers for the recall are likely wrong since the recall covers EVERYTHING made including all the 4 bolt units made. So the ~253,000 is most likely a gross overstatement on Fords side.
Why would it cover the 4 bolts?
And the date ranges that FORD gave wouldn't seem to support that theory.

Untitleda.jpg

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #200
Just more information.
It's just that it doesn't correlate with what we've seen so far.

If there were that many people with breaks at just one single dealership, then this forum would be overwhelmed with owners from across the country reporting the same.

We're just not seeing those kind of repercussions.