Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Poll: How many have experienced a "rear axle bolt fracture" (POLL CLOSED 6-4-22)

Have you experienced a rear axle bolt fracture with your ST?

• Yes - 2020 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 2022 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
This forum has 4,695 members. Let's say 80% actually own ST's (3,756).

I want to see how many have had the bolt failure related to Safety Recall 22S27.

Please, no flaming, arguing, personal opinions, or debates about Bigfoot, UFO's or the Loch Ness Monster.:cool:

I just want cold hard facts as to how many people have been effected so far.

Thanks.:)

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I selected “No”, but I removed the E50 tune and have the new “correct” subframe on hand.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I voted no but I also have a cross member sitting in my garage. I tend to get the most out of my vehicles and I just don't want to chance a failure.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
My answer is no. But I have a 2020 ST.
No problem. Thank you.

I selected “No”, but I removed the E50 tune and have the new “correct” subframe on hand.
Thanks for paticipating.

I voted no but I also have a cross member sitting in my garage. I tend to get the most out of my vehicles and I just don't want to chance a failure.
Thank you for voting.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I have a 21 with the single bolt, and so far no failure.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
No, '20 two bolter here.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
A bit surprised that no broken one reported so far.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
A bit surprised that no broken one reported so far.
I know that Chrispw24 posted about the problem in his thread "Rear end damage", but I didn't see any others.

That's why I started the poll, I wanted to get an idea of how prevalent the issue was.

carrollce

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Line
I don't have an ST but an ST-Line (ST-junior) if that counts. But it is a 22 with 500 miles and no issue but I only have ONE bolt.

Reactions
I've seen at least 7-8 in the FB groups; dealer says they've fixed a few.

Reactions
‘21 single bolt on the back. No failures yet.

I’ve seen a total of three on the Facebook groups, but they posted about it multiple times across the groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
I don't have an ST but an ST-Line (ST-junior) if that counts. But it is a 22 with 500 miles and no issue but I only have ONE bolt.
Thanks for the reply. My ST was built in Jan 22 and also has 1 bolt.

I've seen at least 7-8 in the FB groups; dealer says they've fixed a few.
I'm not on FB, how many members are listed for that group? I'm trying to get a rough percentage of how many people have had rear axle bolt fractures.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
‘21 single bolt on the back. No failures yet.

I’ve seen a total of three on the Facebook groups, but they posted about it multiple times across the groups.
While not even one person's rear axle bolt should break, three seems like a pretty low number. Right?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Keep in mind that since early summer of 19 when the 6th gen explorers started showing up on the lots up until now ford has sold maybe half a million explorers, and there are only a handful (less than 10) that have actually had the bolt break.

Also, even tho ford claims this recall encompasses all 3 years and all models, in reality it only affects the 21-22 ST's, platinum's, and king ranches. We all know the real cause of the bolt fracture is because ford decided to use the 1 bolt rear subframe from the XLT on all trims of the explorer starting around Dec of 20. But ford will say they under calculated how strong that bolt needs to be and they are now going to install a stronger bolt(s) to basically cover their ass, because installing a 5 dollar bolt or 2 in every explorer is cheaper than 4K per vehicle to replace the subframe on every explorer that got the wrong one.

So maybe the OP should revise this poll to only include 21-22 explorers with the 3.0 engine as they are the ones that get the failure.

I've also heard that the few that did break was because of heavy towing or on heavily modified explorers during a hard launch.

Last edited:
OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
Keep in mind that since early summer of 19 when the 6th gen explorers started showing up on the lots up until now ford has sold maybe half a million explorers, and there are only a handful (less than 10) that have actually had the bolt break ... So maybe the OP should revise this poll to only include 21-22 explorers with the 3.0 engine as they are the ones that get the failure.
I concur with the infinitesimally small (albeit avoidable) percentage of breaks.

Regarding omitting the 20 model year, I'll keep it on for right now if by some chance some do occur.
Additionally, Ford has specifically earmarked 2020 model year Explorers as well.

Thanks for your timely insights.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
While not even one person's rear axle bolt should break, three seems like a pretty low number. Right?
I agree , none should break period.

My hypothesis is that Ford was simply dealing with a supply issue and some engineering team approved the 2.3 subframe to be used. They saw the savings and kept going with it. It’s still a struggle to get some parts and areas of China are back in lockdown again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk