Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Poll: How many have experienced a "rear axle bolt fracture" (POLL CLOSED 6-4-22)

Have you experienced a rear axle bolt fracture with your ST?

• Yes - 2020 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 2022 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #261
And here's why the topic has played it's course: the owner of an untuned 2020 (2/4 bolt) who drives it easy says he had a bolt break.

That means we can rule out the 1/3 bolt assembly as being the cause of the problem.

There's something else going on here other than whether or not there's an extra bolt.

Untitledab.jpg

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
I just had my 2021 ST break the rear bolt yesterday with only 9050 miles on it. Wife was driving it accelerating from a stop sign pretty close from my house when the bolt snapped. She wasn't launching as she had the kids n she doesn't launch it to begin with. She limped it home n parked it. When I woke up for work she told me (work nights). What she described n the kids said sounded like the rear axle bolt. Shined my flashlight under n saw it hanging with the bolt gone.

Now it's sitting at the dealer waiting to be seen and they are extremely busy and aren't sure they will get around to it today.

What am I looking at for wait time for everyone who had to get it repaired?

Attachments

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Can you see any leftover bolt in the diff cover hole? IIRC the bolt cannot loosen and fall out due to interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Looks like thread remnants in the hole to me. The broken off piece obviously fell out along the road.

Reactions
Can you see any leftover bolt in the diff cover hole? IIRC the bolt cannot loosen and fall out due to interference.

Zooming in on the picture, the bolt broke just below flush with the cover.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I doubt it. If that were true, you wouldn't be able to tighten or loosen the bolt. And...it's obviously gone.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Yes the head of the bolt is gone and the remaining piece of the bolt is still inside the threads

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #268
Crazy stuff. Nothing makes sense.

1/3's breaking ... 2/4's breaking
Tuned Breaking ... Untuned Breaking
Normal Driving Breaking ... Hard Driving Breaking
2020's Breaking ... 2021's Breaking (2022's breaking?)

And hundreds of thousands of vehicles not breaking.

Meanwhile, Ford Performance releases a tune. It's like an episode from the Twilight Zone ...

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Checked a few police interceptors (2022) at work today. All had the single rear bolt. RIP.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Checked a few police interceptors (2022) at work today. All had the single rear bolt. RIP.
At least you have new interceptors. Our newest one is a 2017. We aren't breaking any rear ends in those as the tranny's slip in most of them lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
At least you have new interceptors. Our newest one is a 2017. We aren't breaking any rear ends in those as the tranny's slip in most of them lol
Ha, I'm not LE but work closely with them on a local college campus. I was looking under the new arrivals and the chief came out. Asked me what I was doing. He did say they have 5 more 2022 models on order. They where notified of a 18 month wait and a push to 2023MY.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #272
2017? Seriously?

I thought our tax dollars were going to help fund LEO's?

Oops, forgot. The Commie Leftists are still trying to defund you guys.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #273
... I was looking under the new arrivals and the chief came out. Asked me what I was doing ...
Sadly, Mekks082 has not been seen since.;)

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2017? Seriously?

I thought our tax dollars were going to help fund LEO's?

Oops, forgot. The Commie Leftists are still trying to defund you guys.
Lol. I've seen one or two 2020's out there but not at my precinct. Most of the ones at my precinct are 2016's. We finally just put a 2015 to rest in the beginning of October.

Florida's tax dollars are probably funding law enforcement but not up here in liberal NY . Just counting down the days till retirement.

Update on the axle is the parts are ordered while some are in stock and others were ordered. They are replacing the axle and drive shaft. Looking like I'll be without the vehicle for a minimum of 2 weeks they estimate as I had it towed in on Sunday night 10/30/22 and think it should be completed by end of next week.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It sucks that you have to do without the vehicle for so long. Best of luck.

VAST21

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Just had my car serviced under the recall (22N06 Rear Axle Bolt Replacement). ST was returned with one bolt, anyone else have this issue rear diif.jpg ?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just had my car serviced under the recall (22N06 Rear Axle Bolt Replacement). ST was returned with one bolt, anyone else have this issue View attachment 15667 ?
No one has because the recall isn’t meant to do that. It’s strictly a software “fix”. Read the recall notice and you’ll see. It’s been talked about numerous times here.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just had my car serviced under the recall (22N06 Rear Axle Bolt Replacement). ST was returned with one bolt, anyone else have this issue View attachment 15667 ?
You always only had 1 bolt there. They didn’t change anything.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Anyone know how to get the parts to the dealer faster once the bolt does break? Waiting I believe on the axle cover so they say.

Been waiting since the end of October driving an XLT. Man this thing sucks compared to the ST lol

Explorer ST Posts