Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Leaking oil?

Reactions
Just dropped mine off for this issue. Also, I noticed either diff fluid or oil on my trans pan. Any ideas as to how it ended up there?

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
yea the front diff seals leaking. read previous posts

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Took in the vehicle for an oil change and they found this! Joined the wet oil pan club @ 40,135 miles. 2020 a build
Unfortunately, with just an oil leak, it seems like dealers are just removing the front axle disconnect actuator and putting in a new o-ring. If I were you, Id push to have the intermediate shaft replacement for the FADA put in instead. Plenty of FADAs have failed and per TSB should be replaced with the new version of the intermediate shaft. this requires a new drivers side axle and awd module reprogramming. Id even offer to pay for the parts if they would install it.

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Got a call that a new oil pan was ordered and all leaks are taken care of. Service advisor didn’t really go into much detail other than that. She did mention it would be covered under warranty. I’ll post what got fixed hopefully by tomorrow night.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Got a call that a new oil pan was ordered and all leaks are taken care of. Service advisor didn’t really go into much detail other than that. She did mention it would be covered under warranty. I’ll post what got fixed hopefully by tomorrow night.
well, if they are replacing the oil pan, they probably don't recognize that you've got a FADA leak that is covering the oil pan with front differential oil.

Reactions
Does anyone have the TSB number? Is it TSB 23-2114?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Does anyone have the TSB number? Is it TSB 23-2114?
There's no TSB for the FADA leak. There is a TSB for the FADA failing. Remedy is to get rid of the FADA and replace with intermediate shaft and LH axle half shaft.

TSB 23-2174

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Is this just happening on 2020's? Or does it effect later years as well?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Is this just happening on 2020's? Or does it effect later years as well?
The TSB says builds up to 08/2021.

hbalek

Reactions
The TSB says builds up to 08/2021.
I had mine done last week. So far so good. I think the PCM was reset too. I noticed it started driving smoother about a week after the work was done. I think about 2 or 3 days ago I noticed an improvement. When I first picked it up, I could feel and even hear the front axle connecting and disconnecting. Now it seems it's back to normal, almost like it had to "relearn" smooth transitions. It was also pulling to the left at first. I was gonna take it back but all of a sudden I noticed an improvement.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
these ever leak enough to leave stains on the driveway? Moved my ST yesterday and there were small spots of oil around where the oil pan would be. I didn’t have time to crawl under there yesterday, since I’m leaving out of town soon. I just dropped it off at the dealer for them to check it on Monday.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
these ever leak enough to leave stains on the driveway? Moved my ST yesterday and there were small spots of oil around where the oil pan would be. I didn’t have time to crawl under there yesterday, since I’m leaving out of town soon. I just dropped it off at the dealer for them to check it on Monday.
Certainly possible. Mine leaked enough to cover the entire rear of the oil pan and onto the subframe. You can see if it's bad by just looking from the side and seeing if you see oil on the subframe and oil pan.

Also, the oil is not dark like used motor oil. Some have reported that their plastic oil drain plug leaks, even when freshly installed.

hbalek

Reactions
Certainly possible. Mine leaked enough to cover the entire rear of the oil pan and onto the subframe. You can see if it's bad by just looking from the side and seeing if you see oil on the subframe and oil pan.

Also, the oil is not dark like used motor oil. Some have reported that their plastic oil drain plug leaks, even when freshly installed.
My CV boots were replaced last year because I saw grease splattered all over the front suspension and some on my driveway. This axle thing was because I had shuttering and noise on turns and errors popping up on the screen for 4wd and other things.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Called the dealer for an update, since they checked it yesterday. They ordered the parts (not exactly sure what all parts), but, confirmed it is this issue. 2020 with 27K. Hopefully get to pick it up tomorrow after work. Covered under the powertrain warranty.

Reactions
well, if they are replacing the oil pan, they probably don't recognize that you've got a FADA leak that is covering the oil pan with front differential oil.
Any advice on how to make sure my dealer properly addresses mine?

I have the leak at the FADA, which has made the engine oil pan shiny.

I also have a leaking driver CV boot.

Thirdly, I have a leak towards the rear of my transmission. I have a feeling it is the output shaft seal. The pan looks fine.

Should I mention TSB 23-2174 for the driver axle and FADA since they have to replace it anyway?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Any advice on how to make sure my dealer properly addresses mine?

I have the leak at the FADA, which has made the engine oil pan shiny.

I also have a leaking driver CV boot.

Thirdly, I have a leak towards the rear of my transmission. I have a feeling it is the output shaft seal. The pan looks fine.

Should I mention TSB 23-2174 for the driver axle and FADA since they have to replace it anyway?
Yes. To slap on th O-ring on a FADAis the same work as doing the new intermediate shaft except you have to reflash theAWD module. The driver's axle is different but they already haveto replace yours if leaking. Just say you worry about theFADA failing and would like the new intermediate shaft installed perthe TSB, even if you have to payfor the part and new vent hose that goes with it. The labor and axle should be covered by the warranty?

Reactions
Yes. To slap on th O-ring on a FADAis the same work as doing the new intermediate shaft except you have to reflash theAWD module. The driver's axle is different but they already haveto replace yours if leaking. Just say you worry about theFADA failing and would like the new intermediate shaft installed perthe TSB, even if you have to payfor the part and new vent hose that goes with it. The labor and axle should be covered by the warranty?
I don't have any error codes yet. I'm sure it will eventually happen as it is slowly leaking. Do you think the dealer will still address it, or make me wait until the code appears?