Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Leaking oil?

hbalek

Reactions
I’m at 43k miles, it seems as this is a common thing, that should be covered.
It should be under powertrain warranty like my 2 front CV axle replacements a few weeks ago at 38K miles.

Reactions
I’m at 43k miles, it seems as this is a common thing, that should be covered.
I was at 98,000 km, which is outside of the bumper to bumper warranty, but inside the powertrain warranty, and the service advisor told me it was covered under the powertrain warranty. Zero $.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
A fellow member reported that their AWD module went out and the dealer said it was NOT covered under Powertrain warranty. Surprisingly, it is not listed as a covered component. The similar speed sensor might not be covered under Powertrain either. Either way, it might be good to run a diagnostic to see what codes come up. The speed sensor malfunction has a specific code when you run Forscan. The speed sensor is an easy DIY. The AWD module might need Forscan loading AsBuilt configuration after replacement--not sure but may not be an easy DIY.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/search/powertrain.warranty.coverage
Mentions PCM but not any other module.

Last edited:
Reactions
I would love to understand how they try to justify having a powertrain warranty that does not cover the system that controls a big part of the powertrain.

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
I would love to understand how they try to justify having a powertrain warranty that does not cover the system that controls a big part of the powertrain.
Service advisor said — there’s a list of parts that are covered, and the part number for the module doesn’t populate

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
Well, Ford Corp came through and cover majority of the cost. Dealer quote - $870 (kind of ridiculous), after Ford Corp $170. Today, I received a call from Ford Corp giving me an additional 3yr/36,009 extended warranty for free. I guess I’m keeping my Explorer now

Attachments

Reactions
Axle hub actuator leak on the drivers side.
Does anyone know the part # to replace this driver side actuator or is it a ring/seal/module that needs replacing? Ford says they don't recognize the name or photo.
Tks.

Last edited:
Reactions
Does anyone know if we can get a better oil pan than the stock plastic one on the ST?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Does anyone know the part # to replace this driver side actuator or is it a ring/seal/module that needs replacing? Ford says they don't recognize the name or photo.
Tks.
Ford Boss has 2 or 3 videos discussing the problem.
An O-ring is the problem. Last I heard, the replacement actuators he put in are leaking after a time too! Sounds like this is going tobe a widespread problem.

How you fix it depends on your warranty status. It is a b$"#*% to remove. Moreover, they changed the design so replacement would require reprogramming the AWD module if you have a MY2020 or early MY2021.

Me? I was past powertrain warranty and no ESP. I suspected the leak was a low pressure oil leak. I cleaned the area with brake cleaner (engine cold) then applied quick setting gasket sealer with my finger. The top surface you don't have access to, so I cleaned it again and sprayed Permatex leak sealer spray with straw (multiple coats). So far so good.

Reactions
Ford Boss has 2 or 3 videos discussing the problem.
An O-ring is the problem. Last I heard, the replacement actuators he put in are leaking after a time too! Sounds like this is going tobe a widespread problem.

How you fix it depends on your warranty status. It is a b$"#*% to remove. Moreover, they changed the design so replacement would require reprogramming the AWD module if you have a MY2020 or early MY2021.

Me? I was past powertrain warranty and no ESP. I suspected the leak was a low pressure oil leak. I cleaned the area with brake cleaner (engine cold) then applied quick setting gasket sealer with my finger. The top surface you don't have access to, so I cleaned it again and sprayed Permatex leak sealer spray with straw (multiple coats). So far so good.
Wow...this sucks. So you're suggesting to avoid replacing the o-ring and actuator as it clearly doesn't last long (past 10k miles) and simply "fill" the area with gasket sealer and permatex leak sealer spray along the top yeah?!
What about reprogramming the AWD module..is there a point?

Curious question as I'm not mechanically inclined and feel rather lost at this point. What if I just left it the way it is leaking oil (it drips rather than poors oil). What would happen? I'd obviously continue with regular oil changes to maintain oil levels.

Thoughts anyone?

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
MORE THEN LIKELY ITS THE DRIVE UNIT NOT THE OIL PAN I WOULD DOUBLE CHECK WHERE THE FRONT DIFF GOES THROUGH THE OIL PAN

Reactions
Well I opted to go with:
cleaned the area with brake cleaner (engine cold) then applied quick setting gasket sealer with my finger. The top surface you don't have access to, so I cleaned it again and sprayed Permatex leak sealer spray with straw (multiple coats).
Let's see what happens.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well I opted to go with:
cleaned the area with brake cleaner (engine cold) then applied quick setting gasket sealer with my finger. The top surface you don't have access to, so I cleaned it again and sprayed Permatex leak sealer spray with straw (multiple coats).
Let's see what happens.
Finger's crossed. I recommend you source some Motorcraft 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant to top off the front differential (holds 0.6 qt).

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
JUST TAKE THE CAR IN AND HAVE THEM FIX IT RIGHT. PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE TECH LIVES HARDER LOL

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
WELL WILL YOU LOOK AT THAT I WAS RIGHT ONCE AGAIN.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Careful there, don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

E-Fortes

Reactions
What’s the fix? Is it covered under warranty?
YES it's covered under warranty 5 Y / 60.000 M / I had the same problem with 41,000 miles and Ford covered everything, even a rental car for 5 weeks (waiting for parts).
I think the problem is due to the Axle seals not supporting the temperature of the Engine (Axle passes through the Oil Pan). Supposedly they upgraded the parts...
Best Regards

Attachments

Last edited: