Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Leaking oil?

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I’m about to start changing my oil and I noticed, what looks like oil leaking. Any ideas on what it is/ where it’s coming from? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Axle hub actuator leak on the drivers side.

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Actually, I may be confusing the orientation of the pictures. Do you have a picture of the left side of the oil pan where the driver's side axle inserts? You will need to remove the rectangular cover to visualize it. That is where the axle hub actuator is. It leaks front differential oil and starts to drip down and cover the bottom of the oil pan.

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Actually, I may be confusing the orientation of the pictures. Do you have a picture of the left side of the oil pan where the driver's side axle inserts? You will need to remove the rectangular cover to visualize it. That is where the axle hub actuator is. It leaks front differential oil and starts to drip down and cover the bottom of the oil pan.
You’re correct on orientation. It is the drivers side and there was definitely some oil leaking. I also checked the oil pan and found There were a couple of oil pan bolts that were slightly loose.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Definitely covered under b2b and may be covered under powertrain

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Funny you have that leak. They thought ours was the oil pan, so they replaced it and tried to say it was an aftermarket drain plug. It's not. Then we STILL smelled burning oil, took it back and they replaced the drivers side axle. And we STILL smell oil, we'll have it looked at on the next oil change.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Beware. This leak is front differential fluid oil. The front differential only holds 0.6 qts! Don't let it run dry.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Carbonized Gray Explorer ST
Funny you have that leak. They thought ours was the oil pan, so they replaced it and tried to say it was an aftermarket drain plug. It's not. Then we STILL smelled burning oil, took it back and they replaced the drivers side axle. And we STILL smell oil, we'll have it looked at on the next oil change.
Let us know what you find. I have an occasional burned oil smell that I'm hunting as well.

PAZZI

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST- Agate Black
Picked up our 2023 ST. on April 21, smelled buring oil on the drive home. Turns out it is the left side turbo oil feed tube. Finally got it into the dealership for warranty repair Tuesday this week.

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Beware. This leak is front differential fluid oil. The front differential only holds 0.6 qts! Don't let it run dry.
How/ where do I add diff oil and what kind?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How/ where do I add diff oil and what kind?
Motorcraft® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant. Not inexpensive.
Front differential fill hole is on the passenger side. Torx T-50 (+ breaker bar if it's never been opened). Just top it off slowly until it starts to dribble out.

Front diff fill hole. Remove passenger wheel. Follow where the axle shaft inserts. It's right in front of that.
IMG_7413.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Motorcraft® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant. Not inexpensive.
Front differential fill hole is on the passenger side. Torx T-50 (+ breaker bar if it's never been opened). Just top it off slowly until it starts to dribble out.

Front diff fill hole. Remove passenger wheel. Follow where the axle shaft inserts. It's right in front of that.
View attachment 17877
Thank you for your help. Today, I had 4 different system issues alert. AWD, system trac, hill assist, and pre collision alert chime and to have serviced. The party has begun.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thank you for your help. Today, I had 4 different system issues alert. AWD, system trac, hill assist, and pre collision alert chime and to have serviced. The party has begun.
That's actually a good thing. It's likely the front halfshaft speed sensor malfunctioning--it inserts into the front differential. When that is replaced, some front differential oil is lost and they *should* top it off. Hopefully they'll take care of the axle hub actuator leak too. Can you follow up whether they replaced the O-ring or replaced the entire unit? I'm just curious.

Reactions
I just had this, or a similar thing. It was the AWD module.

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
Dealer says AWD module needs to be replaced and it’s not covered under warranty. I feel like it should be… (or am I wrong)