Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

FENG - Fake Engine Noise Generator DELETE

Reactions
Anyone have this issue when trying to use Forscan? I'm running the Palm Beach Dyno Tune and I have no idea what the Factory PCM number is.

1622153982365.png

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hmmmm? Sounds like PBD overwrites the vehicle info, so you can't change anything except through them. Not sure, but it sure looks like it. Do you have access to uninstall the PBD tune, make your FORScan changes, then reinstall the tune?

Reactions
Hmmmm? Sounds like PBD overwrites the vehicle info, so you can't change anything except through them. Not sure, but it sure looks like it. Do you have access to uninstall the PBD tune, make your FORScan changes, then reinstall the tune?
Yep I can do that. Conveniently write is much faster than reading. PBD did a good job with the tune however!

Reactions
Well, this kind of raises a question/issue I was having.

I do not understand Forscan or any of that, plan has been to just have PBD do the install. That said, would this mean they can disable things like FENG and the key fob double beep?

What would be on your list of "must turn on/off" if you had one chance to have someone do it for you?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You just need to revert back to stock tune, make the forscan changes, then load the PBD tune and you're all set. after the first time you load the PBD tune, it doesn't take nearly as long to reload it again (~7 mins).

Reactions
Well I just did this. I returned the car to the stock tune. Used Forscan to turn on the software active noise cancellation and the ACN microphones 1,2 & 3 and changed the country code to WS! Then reloaded the PBD tune. The tune write succeeded but the data integrity check failed. I took the car on a short test drive and it works great. It doesn't skip gears so I take that as it's working.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Well I just did this. I returned the car to the stock tune. Used Forscan to turn on the software active noise cancellation and the ACN microphones 1,2 & 3 and changed the country code to WS! Then reloaded the PBD tune. The tune write succeeded but the data integrity check failed. I took the car on a short test drive and it works great. It doesn't skip gears so I take that as it's working.
Yeah, that data integrity check will clear if you reload the tune. It seems to happen on the first load after the computer is in the house. I think it's the internet connection with the HPTuners servers. If you make the revisions right there and reflash even several times, it works just fine. I hate the requirement for internet to load a tune, but HPTuners uses the "connection to log or review every tune that is flashed. I assume it's for their license tracking software...

Reactions
What do you mean reflash?
Yeah, that data integrity check will clear if you reload the tune. It seems to happen on the first load after the computer is in the house. I think it's the internet connection with the HPTuners servers. If you make the revisions right there and reflash even several times, it works just fine. I hate the requirement for internet to load a tune, but HPTuners uses the "connection to log or review every tune that is flashed. I assume it's for their license tracking software...
What do you mean reload the tune? Just write it to the ECU again or go back to stock then reflash? Also does the tune still write even if the data integrity check fails?

Last edited:

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
What do you mean reflash?

What do you mean reload the tune? Just write it to the ECU again or go back to stock then reflash? Also does the tune still write even if the data integrity check fails?
Yeah, the tune loads to the flash memory in the ECU. So Load, Install, Flash, Reflash, all the same thing. I'm trying different techniques to help prevent the Fail result. I'm thinking that 3 seconds is way too short to allow the car to settle down after the flash process. I waited about 15 seconds after turning the car back on before poking the OK again.

Reactions
Yeah, the tune loads to the flash memory in the ECU. So Load, Install, Flash, Reflash, all the same thing. I'm trying different techniques to help prevent the Fail result. I'm thinking that 3 seconds is way too short to allow the car to settle down after the flash process. I waited about 15 seconds after turning the car back on before poking the OK again.
Definetely wait about 15 to 30 seconds. You want that power flushed out of all the capacitors and stuff so no bug in the memory remains. :)

Reactions
Definetely wait about 15 to 30 seconds. You want that power flushed out of all the capacitors and stuff so no bug in the memory remains. :)
Thanks Zermus and ForzaA3. I let the car sit for 30 seconds until all the screens were completely off after flash before clicking okay and everything completed successfully.

Reactions
Anyone know what vehicle is being emulated in the FENG audio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I have what may be a dumb question, why it's coming from me.

There's the FENG (fake engine noise) but isn't there also a sound neutralizer, like how noise cancelling works? Something that softens road noise?

Reactions
I suspect that there is an amplifier that runs this abomination and with some more information (wiring diagrams, shop manual) there is a simple disconnect solution. The dealers don’t have a clue and Ford is holding all the cards close to its chest so it’s up to us to find out how this thing works and for those of us who hate it, kill it.

Anybody know if there is a shop manual for this car?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have what may be a dumb question, why it's coming from me.

There's the FENG (fake engine noise) but isn't there also a sound neutralizer, like how noise cancelling works? Something that softens road noise?
There is indeed a separate selection in FORScan for the FENG and for the Noise Canceling functions. You can turn the FENG off and leave the NC on.

Reactions
Well, it looks like my 2020 ST does have functional Active Noise Cancellation. Last night when i got home from work, I turned the Enhanced Noise Cancellation back off and left the FENG on to see how it changed the sound. Now I can hear the sound of the FENG holding the revs like the original settings. Maybe that's why it's not enabled from the factory.
Tomorrow just for curiosity, I'm going to turn the FENG back off again and turn the ENC back on just to see how quiet the car can be. I do like a quiet car sometimes. The car was really quiet with just the FENG off. Now that I found that I have Active Noise Cancellation, It will be even quieter.
What did you enable? I turned on the three mics, and some software option for the noise cancellation, there were also a few other options that sounded like it was related but I wasn't sure.

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Just confirming this worked for me using "0" on a 2021 ST. Did this after installed Thermal exhaust, man does the Thermal sound good and not much louder in the cabin than the FENG sound at all throttle positions. [thumb]

- Go to the Modules and choose the "ACM" As Built Option (UI Config didn't work for me)
- Make a change the following "X" to "9" (should be the top line) if not 9 try 0.
727-01-01 3003 1XFE 1083

Reactions
Well, it looks like my 2020 ST does have functional Active Noise Cancellation. Last night when i got home from work, I turned the Enhanced Noise Cancellation back off and left the FENG on to see how it changed the sound. Now I can hear the sound of the FENG holding the revs like the original settings. Maybe that's why it's not enabled from the factory.
Tomorrow just for curiosity, I'm going to turn the FENG back off again and turn the ENC back on just to see how quiet the car can be. I do like a quiet car sometimes. The car was really quiet with just the FENG off. Now that I found that I have Active Noise Cancellation, It will be even quieter.
What ever happened with this? I don't see a follow up post where you turned FENG off and ENC on.

Reactions
I did the FENG delete this way. It's kind of nice to be able to hear the engine working now. Another month and I should have my Thermal exhaust so that will change things for sure.

Attachments