Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

FENG - Fake Engine Noise Generator DELETE

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #41
I disabled FENG on the 2021. I have the recommended cable with no switches. I did all my forscan stuff in about 10 minutes. Everything I was looking for showed up.
I couldn't find where to disable it in forscan. And my license just expired. :rolleyes:

Reactions
Question. Does any other automobile manufacturer pipe fake engine noise in their vehicles, or is this Ford specific?
I know BMW did it with the M5 when they dropped the V10 for the turbo 4.4L V8. I'm sure there are others, that was just the first time I had ever heard of it, and that was 2010ish.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #43
I disabled FENG on the 2021. I have the recommended cable with no switches. I did all my forscan stuff in about 10 minutes. Everything I was looking for showed up.
What step by step did you follow to find the FENG with forscan? Did it come with any unforeseen side effects (ie: speakers stop working, etc)?

Reactions
I’ll have to try a different cable I guess. I did make sure I had the latest version.

How recently did you make the change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Well, it was my cable. I was able to access the ACM to disable the noise. So much better now.

Reactions
anyone in ABQ NM who can help me do this?

Hopefully this will help, going off of memory. You'll need a Windows PC or set up your Mac with a Window partition/emulator
- Download ForScan : forscan.org (2.3.39 or greater)
- Register and apply for a Extended License or do one of the purchase options
- Open up Forscan and follow their instructions to activate the program
- Order this OBD cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081VQVD3F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At the Car
- Plug in OBD adapter
- Open Forscan
- Connect to the vehicle
- Go to the Modules and choose the "ACM" As Built Option (UI Config didn't work for me)
- Make a change the following "X" to "9" (should be the top line)
727-01-01 3003 1XFE 1083

- Write the change
- Cycle key
- Disconnect Forscan in the software
- Unplug cable and test

Taz

Reactions
I have been playing with the FENG all week. I turned it off and it was really quiet. So much so that I turned it back on today. I also noticed a setting for something called "Enhanced noise cancellation." It was disabled from the factory so I turned the FENG back on and enabled the ENC. The Feng was there but not as pronounced as it was without the ENC. I couldn't hear the Feng holding the revs when the ENC was on. I just disabled the ENC when i got home from work to see what that setting actually does. Do these cars have Active Noise Cancellation that is a software option?

Reactions
I was looking at the noise cancellation too, but didn’t try to enable it. I assumed it was a platinum level feature or possibly a carry over from the aviator or something.

Taz

Reactions
From what I've noticed today, I believe that the noise cancellation functions. Maybe it's the same electronic hardware package that's just not turned on so it can be a perk for other models. I'll know more tomorrow morning when I test the new setting of Feng on / ENC off. I'll post what I find.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #52
Hopefully this will help, going off of memory. You'll need a Windows PC or set up your Mac with a Window partition/emulator
- Order this OBD cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081VQVD3F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At the Car
- Plug in OBD adapter
- Open Forscan
- Connect to the vehicle
- Go to the Modules and choose the "ACM" As Built Option (UI Config didn't work for me)
727-01-01 3003 1XFE 1083

- Write the change
- Cycle key
- Unplug cable and test
Thank you! I was looking for these last steps. (y)

Taz

Reactions
Well, it looks like my 2020 ST does have functional Active Noise Cancellation. Last night when i got home from work, I turned the Enhanced Noise Cancellation back off and left the FENG on to see how it changed the sound. Now I can hear the sound of the FENG holding the revs like the original settings. Maybe that's why it's not enabled from the factory.
Tomorrow just for curiosity, I'm going to turn the FENG back off again and turn the ENC back on just to see how quiet the car can be. I do like a quiet car sometimes. The car was really quiet with just the FENG off. Now that I found that I have Active Noise Cancellation, It will be even quieter.

wycsailor

Reactions

At the Car
- Plug in OBD adapter
- Open Forscan
- Connect to the vehicle
727-01-01 3003 1XFE 1083

- Write the change
- Cycle key
- Unplug cable and test
Looks like they changed the values for 2021. It's now 727-01-01 3003 14FE 1085, and changing the 4 to anything I tried results in an invalid format error message so I left it alone. I did see what you mentioned about the ACM Software setting not working. There are two in there: Engine Sound Enhancement, and Software Engine Sound Enhancement. The first value wouldn't even write when set to Disabled. The second value had no effect after I set it to Disabled and wrote it.

Hopefully they will release an update to allow us to turn it off from the panel. I do not like anything fake on a vehicle. At least the Borla exhaust upgrade will fix the fake-tips issue. I was shocked when Audi did it that the SQ5.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #55
Looks like they changed the values for 2021. It's now 727-01-01 3003 14FE 1085, and changing the 4 to anything I tried results in an invalid format error message so I left it alone. I did see what you mentioned about the ACM Software setting not working. There are two in there: Engine Sound Enhancement, and Software Engine Sound Enhancement. The first value wouldn't even write when set to Disabled. The second value had no effect after I set it to Disabled and wrote it.

Hopefully they will release an update to allow us to turn it off from the panel. I do not like anything fake on a vehicle. At least the Borla exhaust upgrade will fix the fake-tips issue. I was shocked when Audi did it that the SQ5.
I don't believe Ford will ever give us the ability to turn off the FENG from the display. They've been putting FENG in certain performance vehicles for years. They've never given the public a way to disable it without some workaround (like ForScan, for instance).

They should have at least offered an upgrade to the exhaust & disabled the FENG themselves. There are two options for the brakes and rims! Ford dropped the ball on making $ there!

BlueRidgeSt

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Question. Does any other automobile manufacturer pipe fake engine noise in their vehicles, or is this Ford specific?
A ton of manufacturers do this now. BMW and Audi, VW, Dodge just to name a few.

Reactions

I received the same error, actually receive it doing changes across a bunch of vehicles for making known good changes. I haven’t noticed any side effects since changing the 4 to a 9

Reactions

At the Car
- Plug in OBD adapter
- Open Forscan
- Connect to the vehicle
727-01-01 3003 1XFE 1083

- Write the change
- Cycle key
- Unplug cable and test
This worked perfectly for me. Thanks for the concise directions.

F=MA

Reactions
Or add a Borla, Magnaflow exhaust and never hear it again even if it is still turned on.

Reactions
I received the same error, actually receive it doing changes across a bunch of vehicles for making known good changes. I haven’t noticed any side effects since changing the 4 to a 9

I followed a Ford F-150 video, and change the 4 to a 0. Seemed to work. When I changed it to a 9 my audio Bluetooth just quit working…. 0 seemed to do it for me.

Edit: Fixing auto correct.