Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

aFe Momentum GT CAI

Reactions
Adam from ZFG wrote that post in my FB group originally…it was copied and pasted in here. The data was from his testing of both intakes on E50. Lower grade fuel won’t see the full increase.
I'm blind, I haven't see either. But I did find the brochure Ron posted that claimed 15hp for the aFe. I'm "guessing" that 15hp is without a tune to modify for increased flows thats just stock tune optimization.
I was just having a hard time wrapping my head around the aFe being double as efficient in gains over the FenFab, but who knows. Certainly the plastic formed aFe can take advantage of some flow that the fixed dimension of aluminum tubing can not. But I'm only sitting behind a keyboard

Reactions
E85 test kits are everywhere to test at the pump and kits to test your tank percentage are also readily available. Here’s mine. View attachment 10185
That looks great! Cant imagine what it cost and time it took to get it done.

So unless you have these things though, to get an accurate blend or close to, would be extremely hard. Thats why those dyno runs with mix E85 with before and after extra mods can be a bit sketchy like the Fenfab dyno run. Unless they have the proper equipment like you have which I probably missed

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
That looks great! Cant imagine what it cost and time it took to get it done.

So unless you have these things though, to get an accurate blend or close to, would be extremely hard. Thats why those dyno runs with mix E85 with before and after extra mods can be a bit sketchy like the Fenfab dyno run. Unless they have the proper equipment like you have which I probably missed
Only a handful of us have taken the plunge to do the gauge that I know of. Tedious install but the P3car gauge has more cool options on readings from the ob2

After fueling up I normally change it to the boost gauge setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Mine came in today but with dry filters (didn’t noticed when I ordered) so I snagged the last pair of “off the shelve” oiled filter from AFE that were in stock. Waited 6 months so what’s another week…

Have 2 sets now which is fine. I can put it the dry ones in between maintenance cleaning and oiling of the oiled filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wholdy

Reactions
Took about 30-40 min to install, super easy.
Had to drill a hole for catch can on the passenger side.
From quality stand point, I would give it 3/5
Took about 30-40 min to install, super easy.
Had to drill a hole for catch can on the passenger side.
From quality stand point, I would give it 3/5
30-40 minutes??? It took me that long just to get the bypass hose clamp off. Unlike what was shown in the instructions, mine was facing downward. Therefore I had to get very creative in removal of the clamp. Everything else was pretty simple. The turbos are way more pronounced and sounds great. Happy with it so far!

Reactions
30-40 minutes??? It took me that long just to get the bypass hose clamp off. Unlike what was shown in the instructions, mine was facing downward. Therefore I had to get very creative in removal of the clamp. Everything else was pretty simple. The turbos are way more pronounced and sounds great. Happy with it so far!
I was already vta, so it probably saved me 5-10min.
I have bunch of different tools, for removing retarded clamps

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Silly question but how easy is it to get to the filters to clean? Looking at it, do you need to take apart the whole intake to get to the filters to clean?

Reactions
It's super easy! Two clamps (one on each side) and pull them out

Reactions
Silly question but how easy is it to get to the filters to clean? Looking at it, do you need to take apart the whole intake to get to the filters to clean?
Not as easy as it sounds, wish the top half of the air box would come off, but still easy
Need to twist bot intakes off the filters and take the filters out.
Keep in mind, on the driver side, after moving the intake tube, double check the 3 vaccum connector groomer, as it may come out.

Reactions
That looks nice! Too bad Ford ripped the flex fuel logic out of the ECM. It would be nice to just fill up and not have to worry about blend ratios. I will likely end up with something at least to measure at the pump and maybe an in-tank.
I made a handy guide for installing the ethanol sensor here https://www.explorerst.org/threads/how-to-ethanol-sensor-installation.2506/#post-31964

I'm using an Innovative gauge that is mounted snuggly in the back right side of the center cubby, but you can use the Fuel-It bluetooth or the sleek one UNBROKEN uses.

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I installed mine today. Super quick pulling off. I spent over an hour hooking the bypass hose back up because the clamp was facing down and didn't think about turning it until I went to hook it up and it was too late. Finally got it, took about 2 hours total. Can confirm it does fit with the Fenfabrication charge pipe.

Wholdy

Reactions
Maybe it's just me, but has anyone noticed a decrease in MPG since installing. I usually avg 18.4 however, since installation I'm around low 13s. I drive in Sport mode the most (driving in it a little more since installation). Not a problem, just something I'm wondering if others are experiencing.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I hate to say something obvious, but a CAI has nothing to do with your gas mileage. The ST uses wide-band O2 sensors to ensure air/fuel ratios at all times. Now, if you had an extremely dirty air filter or you kinked an intake hose during installation there might be slight losses of fuel mileage. It's more likely you're right foot is doing the damage.

Wholdy

Reactions
I hate to say something obvious, but a CAI has nothing to do with your gas mileage. The ST uses wide-band O2 sensors to ensure air/fuel ratios at all times. Now, if you had an extremely dirty air filter or you kinked an intake hose during installation there might be slight losses of fuel mileage. It's more likely you're right foot is doing the damage.
Huh??? A CAI can absolutely have a direct impact on a vehicles fuel efficiency. You're last sentence is more than likely the case (which I expected). To say "CAI has nothing to do with your gas mileage" is wrong.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Huh??? A CAI can absolutely have a direct impact on a vehicles fuel efficiency. You're last sentence is more than likely the case (which I expected). To say "CAI has nothing to do with your gas mileage" is wrong.
Pretty sure he meant worse gas mileage and I’d bet money he knows more about it than you do…or me.

Reactions
My drop is probably self induced as I like to hear the new exhaust and intake, and therefore can't keep my foot off the go pedal

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Let me rephrase this- The only impact on fuel mileage due to a CAI would be something that restricted airflow which would increase pumping losses. In other words, the amount of extra energy it would take to draw air into the combustion chamber during the intake event.

Wholdy

Reactions
Pretty sure he meant worse gas mileage and I’d bet money he knows more about it than you do…or me.
No need for the sly comment. I was not trying to be disrespectful. Just a general observation and I came here to see if others experienced this and their reasoning behind it.
Let me rephrase this- The only impact on fuel mileage due to a CAI would be something that restricted airflow which would increase pumping losses. In other words, the amount of extra energy it would take to draw air into the combustion chamber during the intake event.
Thank you for your explanations. My wording in response may have come off a bit hostile. Not my intentions at all.