Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

aFe Momentum GT CAI

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ll bet anyone here $100 if they do proper logging with that thing there will be zero difference. None.
That opening is quite a bit smaller than the opening that’s already there…sealed in a high pressure zone. Facing a smaller scoop forward will only scoop money out of your wallet. Pushing that red seal up behind the grille will let even less air in given the shape of the grille openings if that’s their intent. View attachment 10179
I could not agree more.

msota84

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I’ll bet anyone here $100 if they do proper logging with that thing there will be zero difference. None.
That opening is quite a bit smaller than the opening that’s already there…sealed in a high pressure zone. Facing a smaller scoop forward will only scoop money out of your wallet. Pushing that red seal up behind the grille will let even less air in given the shape of the grille openings if that’s their intent. View attachment 10179
Thank you for the pic, I havent done my intercooler yet so I had no idea where the intake was.

Reactions
"
Initial results are

Fenfab 1-2 lbm/min increase
afe 3-4 lbm/min increase

Power gain wise we are talking 8-10hp for ever lbm/min on e50
Say what? No way the FenFab is 20hp approx. max increase, and the aFe is 40hp approx. max increase!
2x as good? No way. Not seeing it based on flow sizing.
I'm listening though, this is good data, but was it all collected same same? Or different, same?

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Say what? No way the FenFab is 20hp approx. max increase, and the aFe is 40hp approx. max increase!
2x as good? No way. Not seeing it based on flow sizing.
I'm listening though, this is good data, but was it all collected same same? Or different, same?
There is a youtube out there somewhere with a customer that did a dyno before and after fenfab and it was 20whp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
There is a youtube out there somewhere with a customer that did a dyno before and after fenfab and it was 20whp.
Due to how the ecm optimizes, that would bring my question to tune?
Everything the same, with and without the intake swap? Or was it swap and then post-tune? Curious

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just addressing the "forward facing Ram Air" comments. Ram Air sounds nice, but the math shows maybe a 0.7 psi gain at 200 mph. And that would be with a very well designed forward facing scoop! The fact is that what most cars have is a Cold Air intake. The air temperature has a much greater effect on hp than any static pressure increase...period.

Obviously, we aren't cooling the ambient air temperature, but we are trying isolate ambient air from underhood temps. The cold air intake on the ST is well designed and anyone selling a go-faster product advertising "ram air" are snake oil. Such products should also be checked for any propensity to inhale water (like when it's raining) and where that moisture will end up.

As far as the intent of the various intake filtering products e.g. FenFab or aFe, that is purely a function of reducing the pressure drop across the filter which is a function of three things:
How well sealed it is to the cold-air source.
The overall surface area of the filter media
The porosity of the filter media.

When you evaluate such products, look at those three factors.

Last edited:

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Everything the same, with and without the intake swap? Or was it swap and then post-tune? Curious
Forgot to mention he was tuned before and after. Let me see if I can find it again.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Adam from ZFG wrote that post in my FB group originally…it was copied and pasted in here. The data was from his testing of both intakes on E50. Lower grade fuel won’t see the full increase.

F=MA

Reactions
Mongo like ZFG E50 !! I finally ordered the AFE setup from Lethal. 27 to 36 average hp increase is better bang for the buck than the downpipes.

Last edited:
Reactions
Adam from ZFG wrote that post in my FB group originally…it was copied and pasted in here. The data was from his testing of both intakes on E50. Lower grade fuel won’t see the full increase.
Yes, that is/was his post.
I simply copied it.

Reactions
It was also on stage 4 CRP turbos. I take it the benefits will be even less on the stock turbo's with or without E50 mix?

Also, if I recall, arent the E85 pump stations up to E85? My local one is 51% to 83% ethanol, so not exactly "E85" 100% of the time. Im pretty sure that alone makes a difference on the dyno. Unless each station is different?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
What turbos we’re on the car is irrelevant. Read his posts on FB…he explains how he got the data there.

Reactions
What turbos we’re on the car is irrelevant. Read his posts on FB…he explains how he got the data there.
Dont have an FB so cant see all the posts. Even then, you said lower grade fuel wont see the full increase. Which goes back to my post, E85 can be 51% thru 83% ethanol. So some days the E50 mix might not even be E50 at all, or even close which can be a nice change on dyno power vs other days.

Last edited:

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Dont have an FB so cant see all the posts. Even then, you said lower grade fuel wont see the full increase. Which goes back to my post, E85 can be 51% thru 83% ethanol. So some days the E50 mix might not even be E50 at all, or even close which can be a nice change on dyno power vs other days.
Even if the ethanol is not fully 85 you can still get a E50 blend using an Ethanol calculator. You would simply put in more ethanol and less 93.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
For reference…. If say the E85 pump is testing / reading 60

Having an ethanol gauge is a plus. Usually right on the money with this app.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Dunno if I’d trust an app that can’t spell ethanol. lol

Reactions
Even if the ethanol is not fully 85 you can still get a E50 blend using an Ethanol calculator. You would simply put in more ethanol and less 93.

Correct, if you know how much Ethanol % is in the pump to begin with. I dont think I saw a measuring device on my local pump nor am familiar if you can get one for a car. Might be wrong though.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Correct, if you know how much Ethanol % is in the pump to begin with. I dont think I saw a measuring device on my local pump nor am familiar if you can get one for a car. Might be wrong though.
E85 test kits are everywhere to test at the pump and kits to test your tank percentage are also readily available. Here’s mine. 93067E13-0D43-492F-A859-6D0301BC2142.jpeg

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
E85 test kits are everywhere to test at the pump and kits to test your tank percentage are also readily available. Here’s mine. View attachment 10185
That looks nice! Too bad Ford ripped the flex fuel logic out of the ECM. It would be nice to just fill up and not have to worry about blend ratios. I will likely end up with something at least to measure at the pump and maybe an in-tank.