Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

aFe Momentum GT CAI

msota84

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Some issues I found.
A) My build doesnt have a BOV to connect to the new charge pipe, no place for it on stock charge pipe either. Just plugged the connection on the new charge pipe, no biggie.
B) There is a IGV insert in the pass side pipe, which was easily removed and reinstalled. On the driver side, the IGV vanes are built into the charge pipe. Just left it out, no issues.
C) As far as the turbo connections on the drivers side, just take it off from turbo, didnt worry about the clamp just forward of it, not required for reinstallation.

LOVE the sound!!
THANK YOU for the new PCV tube!
Testing MPG this weel, full tank normal driving.

Anybody looking into a ram air intake??????

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Weird.... My passenger side did NOT have that

TeeJay_ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Can any of yall post some engine bay revs, in cabin cruising and WOT? Would love to hear this thing!

Reactions
Definitely louder but not in an annoying way (more whooshing noises) and the throttle uptake seems smoother to me as it accelerates. Nothing huge from a power perspective but I'm glad I did it even if it's just for the engine dress up. About to do the Steeda strut base just because I now realize how pathetic the stock one is and it will definitely improve the engine bay look. I'd post some sounds but I think you'd need quality equipment to pick up on nay sound differences and I don't have anything but an iphone.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #125
Can any of yall post some engine bay revs, in cabin cruising and WOT? Would love to hear this thing!
I had posted some back when I first got this on page 2

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Some issues I found.
A) My build doesnt have a BOV to connect to the new charge pipe, no place for it on stock charge pipe either. Just plugged the connection on the new charge pipe, no biggie.
B) There is a IGV insert in the pass side pipe, which was easily removed and reinstalled. On the driver side, the IGV vanes are built into the charge pipe. Just left it out, no issues.
C) As far as the turbo connections on the drivers side, just take it off from turbo, didnt worry about the clamp just forward of it, not required for reinstallation.

LOVE the sound!!
THANK YOU for the new PCV tube!
Testing MPG this weel, full tank normal driving.

Anybody looking into a ram air intake??????
I’m actually looking into a custom ram air. The oem snorkel is a good design. But a little hidden. I’m concerned if a snorkel with a straight shot into the air box is a disaster waiting to happen with rain. Once the AFE comes in we are gonna take a closer look. I’m not a fan of the hydro covers for filters .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I’m actually looking into a custom ram air. The oem snorkel is a good design. But a little hidden. I’m concerned if a snorkel with a straight shot into the air box is a disaster waiting to happen with rain. Once the AFE comes in we are gonna take a closer look. I’m not a fan of the hydro covers for filters .

I almost had hydro lock with my old Acura and AEM CAI when we had heaven rain fall. The filter was located near the bottom of the front grill.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions

The factory snorkel inlet is very well designed and sealed into the high pressure area feeding the radiator. It effectively is a Ram-air design.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
The factory snorkel inlet is very well designed and sealed into the high pressure area feeding the radiator. It effectively is a Ram-air design.
There is like three other threads I have tried to explain this to people on but it keeps falling on deaf ears. The stock snorkel shroud is sealed against the radiator and provides a perfect low moisture exposure and high pressure zone for feeding whatever filter you put behind it. It was very very well designed for an OEM setup.

@Nbk4t5e I have a fenfab gen 1 and it has a big ole cone filter situated right behind the opening in the shroud (i popped off both pieces of the snorkel--the triangular one and the tube--i think the aFe still uses the triangular one) and have encountered some pretty hard/heavy rain here in MD, and once i stopped at home, got out to check the filter and its bone dry. so unless you are looking to submerge your vehicle in standing water above the door sills, you should be good to go for sure with the aFe setup.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
You know I definitely agree with you and I agree with the stock set up it’s extremely effective and efficient. Just seeing what my fav shop comes up with. I doubt it will go anywhere.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
There is like three other threads I have tried to explain this to people on but it keeps falling on deaf ears. The stock snorkel shroud is sealed against the radiator and provides a perfect low moisture exposure and high pressure zone for feeding whatever filter you put behind it. It was very very well designed for an OEM setup.

@Nbk4t5e I have a fenfab gen 1 and it has a big ole cone filter situated right behind the opening in the shroud (i popped off both pieces of the snorkel--the triangular one and the tube--i think the aFe still uses the triangular one) and have encountered some pretty hard/heavy rain here in MD, and once i stopped at home, got out to check the filter and its bone dry. so unless you are looking to submerge your vehicle in standing water above the door sills, you should be good to go for sure with the aFe setup.
I’ve actually hydro locked an Acura before and not a fun experience so I’m hesitant for another one. The stock grill hides the snorkel well from water and debri. So I don’t think it gets any better than that. My buddy owns a used car dealership and brought home a scat pack next door and looked into how the headlight has a ram air through it into the intake set up and got me thinking. But that setup is not a sealed box. again the stock is probably just as good. Just random thoughts …

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

I had to use the rain covers on my filter on my old Boss 302. Had the Cobra Jet manifold and CAI, with an open filter right below the factory hood vent. Didn't even think about it until it was sitting at work during some rain. It started, but immediately misfired and was in limp mode going home. Super fun! So for that set up, a rain cover was required.

I might have read between the lines incorrectly, but I think Velossa Tech is working on a snorkel "upgrade" for the ST.

Wholdy

Reactions
I had to use the rain covers on my filter on my old Boss 302. Had the Cobra Jet manifold and CAI, with an open filter right below the factory hood vent. Didn't even think about it until it was sitting at work during some rain. It started, but immediately misfired and was in limp mode going home. Super fun! So for that set up, a rain cover was required.

I might have read between the lines incorrectly, but I think Velossa Tech is working on a snorkel "upgrade" for the ST.
Yea, I believe they are. They teased it on their Instagram. Im intrigued by whats to come of that.

Reactions

That would be sweet, with a Lit Kit too!

Reactions

yes it's happening very soon!
velossa tech EXP ST prototype.PNG

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ll bet anyone here $100 if they do proper logging with that thing there will be zero difference. None.
That opening is quite a bit smaller than the opening that’s already there…sealed in a high pressure zone. Facing a smaller scoop forward will only scoop money out of your wallet. Pushing that red seal up behind the grille will let even less air in given the shape of the grille openings if that’s their intent. 973F7CCC-E0C7-439C-A820-941D44A970FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions
"
Well after reviewing logs and making changes I have to say the results of the aFe intake are very promising. We have known for a while that the stock intake is big restriction, after doing testing with bigger turbos and a few custom intakes. There are really only 2 intake available right now unless you do something totally custom.

Initial results are

Fenfab 1-2 lbm/min increase
afe 3-4 lbm/min increase

Power gain wise we are talking 8-10hp for ever lbm/min on e50

This is the case when we are stringing out stock turbos. Remember with a torque based ecu you're not going to see gains without a tune. Even tune wise it requires changes to allow for the increased air flow. I'm impressed to say the least, I wasn't really expecting that much of a gain. Hopefully we can do a back to back dyno to intake and no intake to really see what's what.
"

Explorer ST Posts