Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

aFe Momentum GT CAI

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
I drilled a bit smaller one, hammered in to start and threaded it, with a lot of pressure, then tried to pull it out. Ain't going nowhere LOL
Lesson learned. I had shortened the hose before hand without checking the fitment of the T . So I was all in at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Finally got mine installed. Love hearing a bit more spool and it feels a bit peppier, although that part is probably all in my head

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I talked to Adam yesterday about logs and tune update for these…he recommended doing that so if y’all use ZFG you might reach out to him.

agrant61

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Stone Blue
Finally got mine installed. Love hearing a bit more spool and it feels a bit peppier, although that part is probably all in my head

Nice Job!! It looks super-nice. Did you have any issues or lessons learned to pass on for your 2022 ST install? There's a backorder until 5/1 on my CAI order.

Reactions
Nice Job!! It looks super-nice. Did you have any issues or lessons learned to pass on for your 2022 ST install? There's a backorder until 5/1 on my CAI order.
The only thing to note is you’ll have to cap the BOV connection on the drivers’ side intake tube. I used a 1 1/8” chair leg cap temporarily until my Whoosh Motorsports silicone cap arrived today and I swapped it out (secured with a hose clamp).

I also ended up undoing an extra clip on the intake air temperature sensor wire to give it a bit more slack, and then routing it a bit differently than instructed (opted not to use the included radiator support cable tie mount).

Other than that, the install was straightforward.

Last edited:

agrant61

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Well, it looked like it was pretty smooth install. I appreciate all your help.

Reactions
The only thing to note is you’ll have to cap the BOV connection on the drivers’ side intake tube. I used a 1 1/8” chair leg cap temporarily until my Whoosh Motorsports silicone cap arrived today and I swapped it out (secured with a hose clamp).

I also ended up undoing an extra clip on the intake air temperature sensor wire to give it a bit more slack, and then routing it a bit differently than instructed (opted not to use the included radiator support cable tie mount).

No need to get the silicon, had this on SHO and ST for a while and there is no issues.
It'll last till you sell the car and beyond.
Just use a clamp on it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKVPR2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Reactions
No need to get the silicon, had this on SHO and ST for a while and there is no issues.
It'll last till you sell the car and beyond.
Just use a clamp on it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKVPR2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
You’re probably right, but for a few bucks more I opted for the silicone cap intended for the purpose. I would hate to have the plastic chair tips crack after a few northeast winter/summer extreme cold and heat cycles.

agrant61

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle

Last week I reached out to aFe power told them of the cap needed on 2022 STs. They asked for my receipt with the estimated shipped date 5/1.
Today I received a package from aFe Takeda Cold Air Intake System Spare Parts | aFe POWER
I like it.

Attachments

SBHink

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

ST Bun

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Besides price, what’s the difference between afe and fenfabs intake. Why the $500 difference.

Reactions
Besides price, what’s the difference between afe and fenfabs intake. Why the $500 difference.
Fenfab was the only one available for a long time and is hand made. My guess is the amount of hours it takes him to make them it isn't worth his time to sell them for less.

Main difference is the afe has separate filters for each turbo and are directly in front of motor while the fenfab uses a single filter and it's located right near where the intake duct is. They both have a totally different look, so which looks better is in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Also @ZFGracing posted some info that says the AFE performs better on more heavily modified trucks. Now yes the highest HP Explorers currently run FenFabs, but that's due to preference/availability. We haven't seen a direct back to back, and a tune is needed to get really anything out of either.

Boom808

Reactions
50+ shipped to our customers today - thanks all for the patience
can't wait to see all the installs in the next week or two (y)(y)

Any idea on when I should be receiving my kit? I purchased it back in November.

BlackBetty

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST Agate black
Hello all and new here so I have some newbie questions. Prior to taking delivery of my 22 ST I had on order the above mentioned afe intake, fenfab coolant tank, fenfab charge pipe and turbosmart kompact dual port vr13 bov as a replacement to the factory one. After spending some time reading here and confirming under the hood,I do not have a bov. My question now is am I the owner of atleast two usless parts (charge pipe & bov) or is there a work around for this? Secondly after looking at pictures of the afe intake installed it looks like a tight fit with the factory coolant tank. Has anyone seen or installed both the afe intake alongside the fenfab coolant tank. If this info has already been put out before, I apologize for the duplication of efforts. Thank you for your knowledge and insight.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The FenFab charge pipe fits fine with the aFe intake. Not sure what work around is needed other than clocking the pipe right.

BlackBetty

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
The FenFab charge pipe fits fine with the aFe intake. Not sure what work around is needed other than clocking the pipe right.
Thank you for the reply, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the turbo systems and their workings. I was confident removing an existing bov and replacing it. Also with adding the charge pipe but I'm thrown off learning I dont have one to replace plug and play style. I'm just trying to make sure I understand from others post, what I'm reading and interpreting are correct about this. Thank you once again for your time and response.

Reactions
Hello all and new here so I have some newbie questions. Prior to taking delivery of my 22 ST I had on order the above mentioned afe intake, fenfab coolant tank, fenfab charge pipe and turbosmart kompact dual port vr13 bov as a replacement to the factory one. After spending some time reading here and confirming under the hood,I do not have a bov. My question now is am I the owner of atleast two usless parts (charge pipe & bov) or is there a work around for this? Secondly after looking at pictures of the afe intake installed it looks like a tight fit with the factory coolant tank. Has anyone seen or installed both the afe intake alongside the fenfab coolant tank. If this info has already been put out before, I apologize for the duplication of efforts. Thank you for your knowledge and insight.
Make sure you contact Brett (Fenfab) and let him know you have an aFe Power intake prior to him shipping your coolant reservoir! The standard coolant tank reservoir that he makes does NOT work with the aFe Power intake. He is currently making modifications to my returned coolant tank and will either offer two different versions of the tank, or one version going forward that will be adjusted to work with either the Fenfab, stock or aFe Power intakes. I hope this helps.

BlackBetty

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Make sure you contact Brett (Fenfab) and let him know you have an aFe Power intake prior to him shipping your coolant reservoir! The standard coolant tank reservoir that he makes does NOT work with the aFe Power intake. He is currently making modifications to my returned coolant tank and will either offer two different versions of the tank, or one version going forward that will be adjusted to work with either the Fenfab, stock or aFe Power intakes. I hope this helps.
Yes it does help, thank you for the reply and information.

Reactions