Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG: I guess I'm a fanboy now too

Reactions
Does the ZFG tune disable the start / stop function? I ask because I received the baseline file the other day and it doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
and he wasn't "out of stock". he was getting his ducks in a row and CARB certified so the EPA and California Air Resources Board wouldn't sue him. to me that shows a level of professionalism that MANY tuners do not possess. like @UNBROKEN said, there is a reason there is a waitlist. its worth it.
I thought I just did. lol
If you want the best get on the list. If you’re content with mediocre…keep your current tuner.
I'll definitely consider it. I went from 91 oct to 93 oct and I noticed an instant improvement in drive quality and shifting when light on the throttle. The inconsistency part between tunes is concerning.

FredS

Reactions
I'll definitely consider it. I went from 91 oct to 93 oct and I noticed an instant improvement in drive quality and shifting when light on the throttle. The inconsistency part between tunes is concerning.
I am curious about your above comment. I just received an invitation off the wait list for ZFG and I am looking at the 91 octane or 93 octane tunes. I am not sure what the difference is between them. Stinger yours is the first post I have seen that says that there is a difference. Since we live in the same City, and the stations octane in our area are 91 /no ethanol and 93/10% ethanol in most areas, I was hoping you could explain more about your experience. I know it would help me to make a decision on which tune would work best.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
I am curious about your above comment. I just received an invitation off the wait list for ZFG and I am looking at the 91 octane or 93 octane tunes. I am not sure what the difference is between them. Stinger yours is the first post I have seen that says that there is a difference. Since we live in the same City, and the stations octane in our area are 91 /no ethanol and 93/10% ethanol in most areas, I was hoping you could explain more about your experience. I know it would help me to make a decision on which tune would work best.
I’m currently using 5* and I’m considering switching to ZFG because of the big differences in drive quality I noticed between 5* star tunes. Sorry for the confusion.

FredS

Reactions
I’m currently using 5* and I’m considering switching to ZFG because of the big differences in drive quality I noticed between 5* star tunes. Sorry for the confusion.
Sorry, just my confusion. I did read in another post that you were on 5* now. Hopefully, I will see you around the area.

I wonder if someone with a ZFG tune might know the differences between the 91 octane tune and the 93 octane tune other than of course just the octane rating. I am wondering if by going to a 91 octane tune if I would be missing something. Both 91 & 93 seem to be advertised with gains of 75 hp gains and 75 lb.ft. of torque.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Sorry, just my confusion. I did read in another post that you were on 5* now. Hopefully, I will see you around the area.

I wonder if someone with a ZFG tune might know the differences between the 91 octane tune and the 93 octane tune other than of course just the octane rating. I am wondering if by going to a 91 octane tune if I would be missing something. Both 91 & 93 seem to be advertised with gains of 75 hp gains and 75 lb.ft. of torque.
93(E10) vs 91(E0) will definitely have a difference. Ethanol is a GOOD thing, not bad. Your 91 is not only going to have less power potential vs the 93, just because of Octane, but 10% Ethanol makes a difference too.

I would not be willing to guess a difference, but even on Stock tuning you would notice HP difference, especially on a long pull, or heat soaked between 91(E0) and 93(E10).

FredS

Reactions
93(E10) vs 91(E0) will definitely have a difference. Ethanol is a GOOD thing, not bad. Your 91 is not only going to have less power potential vs the 93, just because of Octane, but 10% Ethanol makes a difference too.

I would not be willing to guess a difference, but even on Stock tuning you would notice HP difference, especially on a long pull, or heat soaked between 91(E0) and 93(E10).

Thank you LokiWolf. I decided to go with the 93 tune based on your recommendation and what I have read here on the forum and elsewhere. I will also work with Adam to make sure when I do have to use 91 that it is not a problem. Since this is a stock daily driver I want to make sure it continues to work as an all around vehicle that I will be able to have some fun with. Now it is a mater of waiting for the RTD tuner.

Reactions
I won't have a choice but to run 91, 93 doesn't exist where my ST lives most of the time.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I won't have a choice but to run 91, 93 doesn't exist where my ST lives most of the time.
That is fine, when ordering make sure you mention that. Also, always run Ethanol treated vs E0, there is always a benefit!

Reactions
Does the ZFG tune disable the start / stop function? I ask because I received the baseline file the other day and it doesn’t.

does anyone know the answer to this?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Yes and have him add the actual gear shown in each mode.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I've been wondering if this can be done with ForScan? That's one of those no-brainers that should have just been set up from the factory.

F=MA

Reactions
Thanks. Just checked my early build 2020. I have two bolts. Can't believe they would put just one bolt on some and not others. i wonder if that was intentional or by mistake. they really should recall the one bolt vehicles.
6-20 build on mine - 2 bolts.

Reactions
I think it might be his default now, I didn't request the gears to be displayed (I forgot) and it was already there on the first baseline tune

Reactions
Should I take off and sell my auto start stop eliminator before loading the tune?

Reactions
I've been wondering if this can be done with ForScan? That's one of those no-brainers that should have just been set up from the factory.
Can’t say that I looked super hard, but couldn’t find it.

Reactions
Should I take off and sell my auto start stop eliminator before loading the tune?
I would say yes, the eliminator is nice because you could still use the feature if you wanted to, but most folks won’t, so disabling in the tune, is the way to go.

Reactions
Any other handy 'options' to mention when ordering the tune?

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk