Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG: I guess I'm a fanboy now too

Reactions
I'd really like to have the ZFG tune, I'm still waiting to get an email from being on the waiting list. I'd really like to see what Adam can do for the transmission tuning.

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I'd really like to have the ZFG tune, I'm still waiting to get an email from being on the waiting list. I'd really like to see what Adam can do for the transmission tuning.
I’m also waiting my email, I can wait though since I’m currently deployed and wouldn’t be able to install it.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
Tranny tuning is really incredible. After 15+ tune revisions with 5-star, it was clear they didnt have the tranny tuning dialed in. I had lost hope RE tranny tuning altogether until the baseline ZFG tune arrived. The normal & sport modes have different tranny feels exactly what you'd expect from normal mode and sport/race mode on an M-series beemer. Sport chirps the tires and the shifts rocket you forward. Normal mode is a bit more tame but still superb. Couldnt be happier with tranny tuning from what i've seen thus far.

Reactions
Just got my email this weekend.. :)
I got my email as well, but I'll be at the SUV experience this week so I didn't place my order yet (I need a device as well). For those that have the HP Tuner device, is it best to get the MPVI2 or the RTD device that is offered? for the MPVI2 it looks like I need to order that and then buy the tune, or I can just select the RTD at the time of ordering the tune. I can't imagine I'll ever be doing any tuning myself (altering the tune), with that in mind it seems like the RTD might be perfectly fine? With a few days to ponder this, I'd like to make the best decision about the device.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
hardware-wise they are identical. the only difference is that an RTD device can't access VCM editor. if you are only going to be loading remote tunes the RTD is perfect (Remote Tuning Device, get it?). if you want to use VCM editor to make your own maps you will need the MPVI2. if you order a tune from Adam, and choose to purchase an RTD at the same time, you will receive an RTD with the tune already loaded onto it.

Reactions
I ordered an MPVI2 because I have a few other cars that I can use it on.

The way Adam had me do it was just order the tune only and then go onto the other side of his website and order the MPVI2...

If you have no other uses for an HP Tuners setup I dont know that I would get an MPVI2 as there really is no use, but if you have multiple vehicles that could use it, the MPVI2 is "better" in that regard.

Reactions
hardware-wise they are identical. the only difference is that an RTD device can't access VCM editor. if you are only going to be loading remote tunes the RTD is perfect (Remote Tuning Device, get it?). if you want to use VCM editor to make your own maps you will need the MPVI2. if you order a tune from Adam, and choose to purchase an RTD at the same time, you will receive an RTD with the tune already loaded onto it.
I ordered an MPVI2 because I have a few other cars that I can use it on.

The way Adam had me do it was just order the tune only and then go onto the other side of his website and order the MPVI2...

If you have no other uses for an HP Tuners setup I dont know that I would get an MPVI2 as there really is no use, but if you have multiple vehicles that could use it, the MPVI2 is "better" in that regard.
I appreciate the input and responses greatly. With the RTD is it locked to one vehicle at a time? My explorer is my only vehicle (for now) and that could change in the future, so having a device that could be used on multiple vehicles at the same time might be something to think about.

For the MPVI2, if that I go that route, I would need to also purchase 4 credits at the same time correct?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I appreciate the input and responses greatly. With the RTD is it locked to one vehicle at a time? My explorer is my only vehicle (for now) and that could change in the future, so having a device that could be used on multiple vehicles at the same time might be something to think about.

For the MPVI2, if that I go that route, I would need to also purchase 4 credits at the same time correct?
You can theoretically load up to 1000 vehicles onto a single RTD or MPVI2 device. Again, the ONLY difference is access to VCM editor. I have three different vehicles loaded onto my RTD. You just need to purchase enough universal credits to accomodate each specific tune you are looking for. When you go to load a tune via the RTD software it will have you assign any available credits on your account to a vehicle.

And yes, for the Explorer ST you will need to purchase 4 credits, an RTD device, and Adam's tune.

Reactions
yea the RTD or MPVI2 is not "locked" to a single vehicle.

MY reasoning for going MPVI2 over RTD, and its not related to this vehicle, HP Tuners, Adam/ZFG, etc... is that I got screwed on a tune a few years ago(shit tune from a "well known" tuner who then ignored my complaints, had a huge meltdown a few months later, and went AWOL from the whole scene and I think never resurfaced) and I had to have the car completely retuned and spent another 600 bucks(4 more credits, dyno time, tuner time, etc...)... where if I had had my own MPVI2(might have only been the MPVI at the time) I would have owned all my shit, my new tuner could have simply pulled the tune using my MPVI2, re-worked it, and I wouldnt have been out more credits. Now this had more to do with I didnt own ANY tuning device so my credits, that i had paid for, were basically locked and associated with the original tuners MPVI device. So likely an RTD, for me, would have also been fine as my credits would have been associated with the device that I owned. I have zero desire to do my own tuning. I look at all that stuff and have no clue what I am looking at. Im a wrench turner. I believe any tuner that pays the appropriate HP tuners fees, can write RTD tunes, edit RTD tunes, etc... Im not sure every tuner pays for that functionality though, if its even an added cost. But if it is I could see a lot of guys who DONT remote tune, not pay for that service or ability. So for me, at the end of the day, the MPVI2 provided ME with a little more flexibility/peace of mind that the tune I pay for is really mine...again not that I have a single desire to change a tune that a pro sets up.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
I'm a fair and open minded person, but waitlists and "Out of stock" tunes would keep me away from ZFG. I currently run 5* and mostly happy. I would like a smoother low end driving experience when just driving normally with a 91 perf tune. Once my cold start issue gets fixed I would consider switching if the ZFG tune is perfect in all aspects. What I mean by "perfect" is a tune that can be smooth as a daily driver and then go beast mode when in sport or hard on the throttle. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic or I'm just lazy and don't feel like switching tunes every few days.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm a fair and open minded person, but waitlists and "Out of stock" tunes would keep me away from ZFG. I currently run 5* and mostly happy. I would like a smoother low end driving experience when just driving normally with a 91 perf tune. Once my cold start issue gets fixed I would consider switching if the ZFG tune is perfect in all aspects. What I mean by "perfect" is a tune that can be smooth as a daily driver and then go beast mode when in sport or hard on the throttle. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic or I'm just lazy and don't feel like switching tunes every few days.
ZFG tuning is literally perfect and there’s a reason for the waitlist. If you want the best…get on the list. 5 Star isn’t at the top of any ST owners list.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
ZFG tuning is literally perfect and there’s a reason for the waitlist. If you want the best…get on the list. 5 Star isn’t at the top of any ST owners list.
Can you describe your experience with ZFG and what makes it perfect for you?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I thought I just did. lol
If you want the best get on the list. If you’re content with mediocre…keep your current tuner.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Can you describe your experience with ZFG and what makes it perfect for you?
That its literally exactly as you describe what you want? Its chill and smooth shifting in Eco/Normal but snarly and nasty with crazy fast shifts in Sport mode. His transmission tuning is literally the best on the market--better than OEM. He makes 3 levels of tuning (daily driver, performance, or race) for any octane you wish, and can even do auto-octane if you prefer.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
and he wasn't "out of stock". he was getting his ducks in a row and CARB certified so the EPA and California Air Resources Board wouldn't sue him. to me that shows a level of professionalism that MANY tuners do not possess. like @UNBROKEN said, there is a reason there is a waitlist. its worth it.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thanks for the input. I'm considering switching since I'm modifying the vehicle and not using 5 star for the parts. They'll charge me full price for new tunes on the modified vehicle since I didn't get the upgrades from them. I'll wait until I get the camshaft solenoids fixed under warranty.

Signel

Reactions
Adam had my tuner in the mail and on my doorstep in less than 24 hours, and I didn't even do overnight shipping. He responded to my upload of my base config in less than an hour on a random Saturday. I can't say enough about how well his process works. I'm a noob to doing these things, but it has been simple. He makes it easy and he is very responsive to emails. So far it has been a top notch service.

Explorer ST Posts