Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG: I guess I'm a fanboy now too

Reactions
Because all of us are tuned by ZFG and he fixed it… lol
So i have read this thread and also the one about the single bolt issue, since i traded in my 2020 for a 2021 earlier in the spring. If i understand what you say above, a tune from ZFG will allow me to avoid this problem? If that’s the case, then all the more reason to get one. Thanks!

P.s. love the wrap you put on. Got me thinking about that now!

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
So i have read this thread and also the one about the single bolt issue, since i traded in my 2020 for a 2021 earlier in the spring. If i understand what you say above, a tune from ZFG will allow me to avoid this problem? If that’s the case, then all the more reason to get one. Thanks!

P.s. love the wrap you put on. Got me thinking about that now!
Yes. ZFG's TCU tune fixes the "shifting up too soon 1->2", the "hesitating when 4->3", the "throttle blip when 4->5", and the "lurch when 2->1" issues along with just making the transmission feel overall more intuitive to what gear you feel like it should be in.

Reactions
Yes. ZFG's TCU tune fixes the "shifting up too soon 1->2", the "hesitating when 4->3", the "throttle blip when 4->5", and the "lurch when 2->1" issues along with just making the transmission feel overall more intuitive to what gear you feel like it should be in.
Sounds good to me. If my dealer squawks about a custom tune, I can let them know I’m just trying to prevent a warranty issue down the road!

Last edited:
Reactions
I thought the stock tranny tune skipped a gear? I remember reading it usually goes 1-3-5-7 or something along those lines.

The hesitation on finding gears is the most annoying one of them all, even on Sport Mode. I drove my brother's Blazer RS, and it felt very snappy, smooth, and shifted really fast. Dont understand how Ford can be that bad with tune's/calibration's.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I thought the stock tranny tune skipped a gear? I remember reading it usually goes 1-3-5-7 or something along those lines.

The hesitation on finding gears is the most annoying one of them all, even on Sport Mode. I drove my brother's Blazer RS, and it felt very snappy, smooth, and shifted really fast. Dont understand how Ford can be that bad with tune's/calibration's.
Theoretically yes, that is the idea as it helps with fuel economy, but it didn't always and it was always different when it came to deciding which gear it wanted to skip, lol. Agree! The transmission is actually a good one. The ratios are nice and the shifts can be precise. For some reason, GM's tuning of it is incredible and it gets nothing but rave reviews. I have no need for eco mode and fuel economy so being able to spend time with Adam to identify all the weird /uncomfortable shifts and have him fix them was so awesome.

Reactions
Theoretically yes, that is the idea as it helps with fuel economy, but it didn't always and it was always different when it came to deciding which gear it wanted to skip, lol. Agree! The transmission is actually a good one. The ratios are nice and the shifts can be precise. For some reason, GM's tuning of it is incredible and it gets nothing but rave reviews. I have no need for eco mode and fuel economy so being able to spend time with Adam to identify all the weird /uncomfortable shifts and have him fix them was so awesome.
How does the process work? Are shift corrected through data logging? Or just message/change requests to Adam based on what you are experiencing?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
How does the process work? Are shift corrected through data logging? Or just message/change requests to Adam based on what you are experiencing?
Both! You will do at least three or four rounds of data logging depending on your mods and preferences and then if you have any specific feedback about transmission behavior just note those when you upload your logs.

Reactions
if you notice any weird shifts you can tell him and he might have you datalog them.

He had me datalog a few 1-4 pulls because my trans did some weird stuff on a 3rd gear pull. It also was short shifting 2-3 shift and that shift was excessively hard. I havent noticed anything in the higher gears as being a problem. He was able to fix those issues although 2-3 is still a little hard in sport mode, but its better. I dont drive in sport mode that often so it wasnt a huge deal to me.

db6

Reactions
Anyone notice downsides to ZFG tune? I have a stock 2020 ST on lease. I really like the ST and thinking I will buy the car off lease, if I don't have any major issues. My lease is for 12K miles a year, and I'm driving in excess of 15k right now, so, with over mileage charge it probably will make sense to buy it. I've read plenty of positive reviews, but are there any downsides? I like what I am hearing about shifts points, etc. The truck is "quick" now, but of course I would like it to be faster. Does a tune make sense if I am not considering any other mods? Any impacts to vehicle reliability or longevity?

Thanks

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
No drawbacks. That’s kind of the point of a fully custom tune instead of a canned tune. It just sharpens edges and smooths out wrinkles that came from the factory

Reactions
Any car you go wot and/or hard launches you automatically impact the longevity. Adding a tune makes it worse especially if you up the boost.

It'll mainly fall on you how you take care of the car.

So far from what everyone says tho, this fixes the tranny downsides which is actually a big plus

Last edited:
Reactions
Any car you go wot and/or hard launches you automatically impact the longevity. Adding a tune makes it worse especially if you up the boost.

It'll mainly fall on you how you take care of the car.

So far from what everyone says tho, this fixes the tranny downsides which is actually a big plus
Only downside I’ve noticed is the car becomes sensitive to shitty gas in the sense that my idle with the AC on in gear hesitates unless I’m using top tier 93 which is what I tuned with. Adam can fix it easy just need to send him a log. My fault for putting a full tank of Wawa trash 93 in it since I’m on a road trip lol…

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Got my tune with ZFG last Tuesday (Aug 31). He continued to send me revisions over the labor day weekend (Sep 3rd-6th). Cannot say enough how happy I am with the power. It is literally night and day between what it was (and it was already fast) and what it is now. As many other people have chimed in, I am hearing the tires chirp from a stop. I literally had to re learn the throttle while on vacation over labor day because of the increased power. Going around corners was beginning to scare me. Still working through the hard shifts to 2nd & 3rd, but truly Adam and ZFG are amazing. I researched a ton of threads and videos before going to ZFG. The one common thing I saw was the lack of complaints, disappointment, or customer service. Adam and ZFG have exceeded my expectations by light years.

Reactions
So I got my RTD delivered today at 5:30. Had the stock tune downloaded and sent off to Adam by 7:30. I found the process very straightforward.

Fingers crossed I have not jinxed myself with this early success. Extremely excited to get some pulls in before the snow arrives!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So I got my RTD delivered today at 5:30. Had the stock tune downloaded and sent off to Adam by 7:30. I found the process very straightforward.

Fingers crossed I have not jinxed myself with this early success. Extremely excited to get some pulls in before the snow arrives!
Adam is great about turning it around. My first tune was ridiculously fast. Gears were rough, but you could definitely feel a difference in the power. My biggest fear was that it would be barely noticeable. You WILL notice it. Everything else after is just fine tuning.

Reactions
Adam is great about turning it around. My first tune was ridiculously fast. Gears were rough, but you could definitely feel a difference in the power. My biggest fear was that it would be barely noticeable. You WILL notice it. Everything else after is just fine tuning.
I just need to watch some vids on data logging so I get that part right. When you say the gears were rough, what was happening exactly? Were you hearing clunking, or the acceleration was not as smooth throughout? Or does info just show up on the data log? Sorry I’m a total newb on that aspect of things. Thanks!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I just need to watch some vids on data logging so I get that part right. When you say the gears were rough, what was happening exactly? Were you hearing clunking, or the acceleration was not as smooth throughout? Or does info just show up on the data log? Sorry I’m a total newb on that aspect of things. Thanks!
Data logging is super easy. Follow the instructions (and they are pretty simple). It helps to have someone with you so you can concentrate on the driving part and they can hit the record/stop button on your laptop. But if it’s just you, just hit record so your run, then pull over to stop recording. As far as the gears, 1 to 2 was rough and so was 3-4. Wasn’t smooth. 3-4 was. So after a few revisions, 2nd and 3rd shifts are great.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Data logging is super easy. Follow the instructions (and they are pretty simple). It helps to have someone with you so you can concentrate on the driving part and they can hit the record/stop button on your laptop. But if it’s just you, just hit record so your run, then pull over to stop recording. As far as the gears, 1 to 2 was rough and so was 3-4. Wasn’t smooth. 3-4 was. So after a few revisions, 2nd and 3rd shifts are great.
Same experience here. 1-2, 3-4, and 4-5 all needed work. But they also needed work BEFORE the tune so I certainly don't blame Adam's baseline configuration.