Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG: I guess I'm a fanboy now too

Reactions
Mine is running well. I sent him datalogs the other night, but I screwed up and when I closed the scanner I forgot to reload the definitions file so when I did my couple of pulls to send him it was just with the generic datalog file, so I need to redo my pulls today and resend them to him... Supposed to be 101 degrees today... guess it dont matter though.

Reactions
Just got the email yesterday from Adam. Going to put my order in a new send stock file today. Switching from pbd even though I haven’t had any bad experiences I can’t pass this up with all the good things everyone says. Question though should I flash back to stock first or just flash right to adams file from my current tune ?

Reactions
Just got the email yesterday from Adam. Going to put my order in a new send stock file today. Switching from pbd even though I haven’t had any bad experiences I can’t pass this up with all the good things everyone says. Question though should I flash back to stock first or just flash right to adams file from my current tune ?
I ordered mine last Friday and it's being shipped out too :). As I have Livernois right now I plan to flash back to stock so that I can grab the stock calibration like he requests. I'd highly suggest going back to stock first.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #44
Hate to hijack my own thread but after 8 fun months with you guys, i’m heading back to turtle land with a 3-row Jeep GCL lol. My 1-bolt rear end (courtesy of Ford’s 2021 ingenuity lol) imploded for the second time in less than a month and almost left me stranded in the blue ridge mountains.

Long story short, Im unloading my holy grail HPTuners RTD wZFG (I flashed back to stock before sale so not sure if ZFG would be willing/able to support another VIN with the same serial # RTD device) + like new Dragy (bought this month & used 1 time) + FORScan OBD-2 adapter. PM me any reasonable offers and ill post up in the for sale section when i get a minute.

It’s been fun guys! Thx for all the insight and help along the way. I tried to share my experiences and advice whenever possible. Cya in the slow lane haha

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My 1-bolt rear end (courtesy of Ford’s 2021 ingenuity lol) imploded for the second time
What did you mean by this? Sorry to hear.

Sucks that you've spent a good chunk of change on two different tunes. Unfortunately your RTD setup isn't worth a whole lot..$150-200. whoever buys it will need to buy new credits and tunes.

Reactions
I ordered mine last Friday and it's being shipped out too :). As I have Livernois right now I plan to flash back to stock so that I can grab the stock calibration like he requests. I'd highly suggest going back to stock first.
I'm in the same boat as you. I just ordered the new HP Tuners MPVI2+ this morning and will be getting rid of my LMS and going with ZFG.

Reactions
What did you mean by this? Sorry to hear.

Sucks that you've spent a good chunk of change on two different tunes. Unfortunately your RTD setup isn't worth a whole lot..$150-200. whoever buys it will need to buy new credits and tunes.
20210720_200102.jpg
Look at the rear diff on your ST. I have a 2021 but have two bolts/isolators connecting the rear diff to the subframe. The passenger side one looks to be torqued to about 5,000 ft-lb though. Some 2021 models only have 1. Not sure about the 2020 models.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Hate to hijack my own thread but after 8 fun months with you guys, i’m heading back to turtle land with a 3-row Jeep GCL lol. My 1-bolt rear end (courtesy of Ford’s 2021 ingenuity lol) imploded for the second time in less than a month and almost left me stranded in the blue ridge mountains.

Long story short, Im unloading my holy grail HPTuners RTD wZFG (I flashed back to stock before sale so not sure if ZFG would be willing/able to support another VIN with the same serial # RTD device) + like new Dragy (bought this month & used 1 time) + FORScan OBD-2 adapter. PM me any reasonable offers and ill post up in the for sale section when i get a minute.

It’s been fun guys! Thx for all the insight and help along the way. I tried to share my experiences and advice whenever possible. Cya in the slow lane haha
Sorry to hear this. Also sorry that your Ford dealer couldn't get you sorted. My rear end has two bolts and its so freaking odd they couldn't figure that out for you.

Adding VIN #s is easy peasy to RTD devices. I've shared RTDs with friends in the past when we were all being cheapskates about it (different tunes and even different tuners on the same device). Its just a piece of interface hardware. All that matters is that your account (S/N#) has the appropriate credits. RTD and MPIV2 devices go for about retail on the second hand market. They can theoretically hold up to about 1000 VINs. So feel free to sell your RTD with a clear conscience for basically what you paid for it.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #50
View attachment 7083
Look at the rear diff on your ST. I have a 2021 but have two bolts/isolators connecting the rear diff to the subframe. The passenger side one looks to be torqued to about 5,000 ft-lb though. Some 2021 models only have 1. Not sure about the 2020 models.
An ST with only 1 bolt in the rear...the equiv of having a gf/wife w/only 1 b@@b lol and that's the boat ive been in unfortunately...

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #51
Sorry to hear this. Also sorry that your Ford dealer couldn't get you sorted. My rear end has two bolts and its so freaking odd they couldn't figure that out for you.

Adding VIN #s is easy peasy to RTD devices. I've shared RTDs with friends in the past when we were all being cheapskates about it (different tunes and even different tuners on the same device). Its just a piece of interface hardware. All that matters is that your account (S/N#) has the appropriate credits. RTD and MPIV2 devices go for about retail on the second hand market. They can theoretically hold up to about 1000 VINs. So feel free to sell your RTD with a clear conscience for basically what you paid for it.
Good info here - thx!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Some 2021 models only have 1. Not sure about the 2020 models.
Thanks. Just checked my early build 2020. I have two bolts. Can't believe they would put just one bolt on some and not others. i wonder if that was intentional or by mistake. they really should recall the one bolt vehicles.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
An ST with only 1 bolt in the rear...the equiv of having a gf/wife w/only 1 b@@b lol and that's the boat ive been in unfortunately...
Could you elaborate? Looking at your earlier thread, I assumed that the second bolt had simply been missed during construction since the slot was there for it. Looking at the mechanic's statement, it's hard to tell whether a single bolt had snapped or one bolt had snapped on the passenger side. To be clear, after they "fixed" it, it still only had one bolt??

Reactions
So I ordered my tune and got my RTD flasher from ZFG yesterday. Downloaded the apps on by Surface and nothing works.

I'm following the guide on the website but I can't get the interface to work and I don't even think my tablet is recognizing the RTD via USB.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I emailed Adam but I know he is a one man show and I was hoping to solve some of these issues myself.

Reactions
It keeps saying please connect an MPVI interface which makes me think I have a driver issue.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #56
Could you elaborate? Looking at your earlier thread, I assumed that the second bolt had simply been missed during construction since the slot was there for it. Looking at the mechanic's statement, it's hard to tell whether a single bolt had snapped or one bolt had snapped on the passenger side. To be clear, after they "fixed" it, it still only had one bolt??
1 bolt from factory, that bolt sheered in half, it was then replaced by Ford, then returned to me with 1 new bolt, the new bolt sheered in half a couple weeks later. Was told by dealer that they contacted higher ups at Ford to triple check that i wasnt missing the 2nd bolt. Ford confirmed only 1 bolt required. I then decided to give up on Ford…

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm not sure whether Ford is completely screwed up or your dealer (and service reps) are fools. Does anyone else on this site actually have just a single bolt securing their rear diff to the subframe? Mine certainly has two.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #58
some guy in the FB group just had hte same thing happen to him w/1 bolt. My dealer has 2 2021 STs on the lot w/1 bolt each

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for the info. I'm glad I have two, but who was the brainiac engineer who decided one was ok to save a few bucks? Normally there's a pretty significant process to make an engineering change like that.

Reactions
Nice! I was just going to send the stock file I already pulled a while ago that’s saved in my computer. I couldnt imagine I’d have to flash back to stock just to download it again lol

Explorer ST Posts