Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What don't you like about your ST?

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I don’t like the difficulty to update the sync system. For us not quite computer geniuses, Ford should just offer the updates on a thumb drive for a nominal fee.
My Ford Sync says version 3.4. Is that the latest?

hbalek

Reactions
My Ford Sync says version 3.4. Is that the latest?
Go to owner.ford.com and check under Support-SYNC Software Updates to see which version is the latest for your VIN number. According to mine it should be Version 3.4 build 20282.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Aside from the occasional glitches, the most annoying thing I've found is doing an oil change. Coming from a 17 Sport, this is quite different. I tried this morning and bought a Mity-Vac extractor a couple months ago but the tube diameters were all too big to fit the dipstick tube.

Frustrations:
1. The jack-points are too narrow to fit my floor jack or my piston jack
2. The many different clips and screws on the cover over the oil pan
3. The plastic drain plug (will change it to UPR)
4. The oil filter is directly under the strut brace
5. Oil filler cap also under the strut brace
I have this extractor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N7X4TP9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had no problem doing the oil change. I put down some paper towels around the filter to catch some dribbles but otherwise it was straight forward and fast. Love that the filter is accessible from above like German cars.

Blackssr

Reactions
I have this extractor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N7X4TP9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had no problem doing the oil change. I put down some paper towels around the filter to catch some dribbles but otherwise it was straight forward and fast. Love that the filter is accessible from above like German cars.
My Dealer chargers $ 50.00 with a tire rotation. IMHO does not seem worth the effort to do yourself. Is there another reason? I doubt it is to save the 50 bucks. Not even 50 when you factor in oil and filter.

PostmanRP

Reactions
I have this extractor:

I have an extractor as well. Bought for the Golf R I had. Guess I can give it a try on the ST. Seems to be a pain with the covers underneath

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My Dealer chargers $ 50.00 with a tire rotation. IMHO does not seem worth the effort to do yourself. Is there another reason? I doubt it is to save the 50 bucks. Not even 50 when you factor in oil and filter.
Fully synthetic oil and filter cost me about $40. It takes about 20 minutes of my time and minimal hassle doing it from above. At the dealer, I would be spending 2 hrs, including travel time. Not worth it for me. The tire rotation I do myself when I switch to and from my winter set. I've only been to the dealer for an alignment and module updates (warranty). The fewer visits the better in my view.

Taz

Reactions
Would anyone happen to know what diameter vacuum tube for an oil extractor fits the ST? I have a Mityvac 7201 and it came with two vacuum tubes, .261 OD and .226 OD. Neither of those would fit. I'm a little nervous about forcing one through the dipstick and it getting stuck. I read something about a guy who's vacuum tube was difficult to remove and nearly broke the dipstick tube trying to pull it out.

Blackssr

Reactions
Fully synthetic oil and filter cost me about $40. It takes about 20 minutes of my time and minimal hassle doing it from above. At the dealer, I would be spending 2 hrs, including travel time. Not worth it for me. The tire rotation I do myself when I switch to and from my winter set. I've only been to the dealer for an alignment and module updates (warranty). The fewer visits the better in my view.
What do you do with the old oil ? Take it to a recycling center?

Last edited:

Blackssr

Reactions
Would anyone happen to know what diameter vacuum tube for an oil extractor fits the ST? I have a Mityvac 7201 and it came with two vacuum tubes, .261 OD and .226 OD. Neither of those would fit. I'm a little nervous about forcing one through the dipstick and it getting stuck. I read something about a guy who's vacuum tube was difficult to remove and nearly broke the dipstick tube trying to pull it out.
Just add some lube and force it in .... Sorry couldn't resist.

Taz

Reactions
Sure, that's what I do. I like doing something with my car on the weekend mornings. It's like a therapy i guess. 2

lwlf13

Reactions
I don’t like how much road rage this car creates. I guess it’s the whole looking like a cop thing. I need a “Not a cop” banner or something.

This ST has created way more drama in 2 months than my 2018 Charger SRT did in 3 years.

Reactions
IMO, this is a great sports SUV with rear wheel drive and lots of HP! I have the 2020 ST, 10K miles. Only a few things have required attention and it is currently at the dealership for day 2.

It flashes up a series of 6 faults at the same time. The cruise control stops working, drive mode goes back to default and no longer will select other modes, pre-collision assist fault, Hill Start Assist Fault, Advanced Trac Fault, 4WD Fault (yes it shows 4WD), Auto Hold Fault and Rear Braking Assist Fault. The hands free hatchback open sensor must be able to see my shadow as it sometimes opens when I just walk past the vehicle and sometime just opens half of the programmed distance. I quoted a posting from our SeniorMasterST and they will give that a try with TSB 20-2071 and a software update, thanks SeniorMasterST. Hopefully they find the problem because this appears to be a safety concern without the pre-collision and other features.

I was amazed that they can pull up a calendar for a VIN number and see on a daily schedule all faults and their status. All on the internet, connected to a complete history of your vehicle. Not sure this is a good thing or bad? Don't know what all is captured as I thought this stuff was only saved on the vehicle's computer and cleared after so many days, miles or restarts.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Most auto parts stores and oil change facilities will accept used oil. I go to the Autozone near me. I've also gone to Walmart to do it too if that's where I'm going anyways, in their auto dept.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
EDIT: I actually have two extractors, a German one that had too small a capacity for the ST, and the OEM Tools one I referenced above. Both have 0.25" OD dipstick tubes that fit easily.

Last edited:

Taz

Reactions
EDIT: I actually have two extractors, a German one that had too small a capacity for the ST, and the OEM Tools one I referenced above. Both have 0.25" OD dipstick tubes that fit easily.
Thanks for the info. Did you feel a lot of resistance when you put the tube down the dipstick of the ST? Mine felt like it had guides inside the top of the dipstick tube so it could go in without turning. I can probably push it through, but I don't want it to be a one way trip.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have this extractor:

Would I be able to get by with the 6 liter capacity extractor? I have always done my own oil changes and don't plan on stopping now. I have a recycling center within a few miles of me so it is very convenient. I love going to a dealership, but only to look at new vehicles. I also keep hearing on this forum nightmare stories about there not being any substantial lifting points on the ST and how easily the underside can be damaged.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Would I be able to get by with the 6 liter capacity extractor? I have always done my own oil changes and don't plan on stopping now. I have a recycling center within a few miles of me so it is very convenient. I love going to a dealership, but only to look at new vehicles. I also keep hearing on this forum nightmare stories about there not being any substantial lifting points on the ST and how easily the underside can be damaged.
No... slightly too small. My original extractor (different brand though) is 6L and I had to empty it and extract again, leading to some mess.

I'm with you on fears of damage from the dealership. That's probably my 2nd biggest concern next to taking more time waiting at the dealer compared to DIY.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for the info. Did you feel a lot of resistance when you put the tube down the dipstick of the ST? Mine felt like it had guides inside the top of the dipstick tube so it could go in without turning. I can probably push it through, but I don't want it to be a one way trip.
There is some friction but it goes in/out relatively easily. I was never in fear of it getting stuck. The MityVac appears to be top notch. Maybe send their customer service an email about your concern. Maybe they have specs on the Ford dipstick opening or have a smaller tube available. Edit. sorry just realized your small tube is smaller than mine! that's odd it would be a tight fit.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Y’all ever think about starting a dedicated thread about oil changes?

Reactions
How often are you guys pumping out the oil compared to draining it?
I figure with the changes that came with the purchase plus the Ford points I have close to 5 years worth of free ish dealer changes.