Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What don't you like about your ST?

Reactions
Curious what the things that you owners don't like about the ST after you've had them for a while. Anything that's a huge regret, or something you still can't stand? Anything that maybe makes you wish you had gone with a different vehicle?

hbalek

Reactions
The creaks, squeaks and rattles in the interior, which are mostly temperature sensitive due to presumably cheap, lightweight plastics and other materials. The liftgate in general bothers me: the way it opens when you walk by and doesn't open on first try with foot sensor, it makes creaking and rattling noises when going over bumps and also when opening and closing, and it's a dust and dirt magnet on the outside. LOL!

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
The creaks, squeaks and rattles in the interior, which are mostly temperature sensitive due to presumably cheap, lightweight plastics and other materials. The liftgate in general bothers me: the way it opens when you walk by and doesn't open on first try with foot sensor, it makes creaking and rattling noises when going over bumps and also when opening and closing, and it's a dust and dirt magnet on the outside. LOL!
Well dang , that's not good.
Is that kind of a common thing with these cars?

I'm still trying to get one.
Got one lined up in Nashville , start negotiating tomorrow.

Jim

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions

I'm still trying to be it one.

Jim
Ford went really cheap on the interior build quality. It looks great though and the seats are extremely comfortable. Also, despite other people's warranty repairs here due to leather tears and premature wear on the driver's seat, my fat ass has no complaints with the driver's seat. It looks almost brand new and it has a year and 12,000 miles of wear on it. The only annoying thing with the seat is the clicking noise on sharp turns and acceleration and memory seats have NO memory! LOL Even with the latest Sync3 update, almost every time I start up the SiriusXM radio takes forever to boot up and actually display and play music. This usually means I've driven away from parking lot and 30-60 later the radio finally boots up!

Last edited:

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I've only test drove 2, and one had wind noise the other did not.

I'm a thinking you are paying (a lot) more for performance , motor and suspension tuning than for luxury.
Lincoln and Cadillac are extremely quiet and luxurious , but don't handle or have muscle.

Jim

hbalek

Reactions
I've only test drove 2, and one had wind noise the other did not.

I'm a thinking you are paying (a lot) more for performance , motor and suspension tuning than for luxury.
Lincoln and Cadillac are extremely quiet and luxurious , but don't handle or have muscle.

Jim
Agreed and this is my first ever SUV after many years of sport/luxury sedans. I feel like this has the perfect balance of luxury, looks and performance. It excites me on a daily basis. It is my daily relief and oasis from COVID fatigue!

Reactions
Lack of hardware power in the infotainment system. It lags due to that

Execution of the camera system in 10 inch portrait screen. If the bleeping Mustang Mach-E software can stack the 360 picture & the forward/reverse view, why couldn't they do that on a Sync 3 update.

Sync 3 wastes so much space on the 10 in screen, especially when using Fruit CarPlay/Droid Auto.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions

I'm still trying to be it one.

Jim
Mine makes no interior noises like that.

hbalek

Reactions
Mine makes no interior noises like that.
Many others complained about about rear door panel noises and dash noises especially in extreme heat. Maybe if yours was built in 2020, they resolved some manufacturing issues. Or maybe the sound from your aftermarket exhaust covers up other minor noises!

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yeah , I've driven Lincoln and Cadillac SUVs and they are smooth , luxurious, and very quiet interior. My MKC Lincoln is whisper quiet.

So , I was hoping , for the the big price tag , the ST would be decent in the same areas, but , the 2 I drove handled great not noisy , just not Cadillac.
But they handle , drive really good, and have impressive power. The Lincoln and Cadillac aren't even close in these areas.

Jim

hbalek

Reactions
Yeah , I've driven Lincoln and Cadillac SUVs and they are smooth , luxurious, and very quiet interior. My MKC Lincoln is whisper quiet.

So , I was hoping , for the the big price tag , the ST would be decent in the same areas, but , the 2 I drove handled great not noisy , just not Cadillac.
But they handle , drive really good, and have impressive power. The Lincoln and Cadillac aren't even close in these areas.

Jim
Like many reviewers have said, Ford has built their own version of a BMW X5 for tens of thousands less! At least in the way it drives, it matches much more expensive European sporty SUVs.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I wonder if the 2021 has debugged some of those things.

Jim

Reactions
There is a member in the FB group that has said Ford has really upped its quality game for the '21s. I just got my '21 last week, and I don't remember enough about my '20 ST to compare the two. But, right now I'm totally in love with my '21 ST.... woot!

B.Beauty

Reactions
The only issues I have had are some whistling of the turbos, not on boost, and a sync loading issue delay at times.

hbalek

Reactions
I wonder if the 2021 has debugged some of those things.

Jim
It's worth a look at 2021 but others on here have said the deals on 2020's are too good right now to ignore! A year ago I didn't have that option. In early December 2019, I got 8,000 off MSRP but no 0% financing deals available then. COVID-19 changed that as well, a mere 3 months later.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
There are no new 2020s within 150 miles of me. Some used ones, and very few 2021s.
I working with a dealer ,125 miles from me now. Trying to make the deal over the fone.
So far so good. Will get down to final numbers tomorrow.

Jim

hbalek

Reactions
There are no new 2020s within 150 miles of me. Some used ones, and very few 2021s.
I working with a dealer ,125 miles from me now. Trying to make the deal over the fone.
So far so good. Will get down to final numbers tomorrow.

Jim
Certified Preowned, low-miles vehicle would've been a sweet deal on an ST if it were available to me.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Well I have another problem also.

This will be more my wife's than mine, and only white is allowed in the garage.
So that whittles down the available ones .:)

Jim

OP
BlkGS
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
To be honest, buying a used ST right now seems like a genuinely bone headed move. With new 20s being 50k or less, and used ones being 45k or more, you literally pay more for a used one after you factor in warranty and interest rates.

hbalek

Reactions
To be honest, buying a used ST right now seems like a genuinely bone headed move. With new 20s being 50k or less, and used ones being 45k or more, you literally pay more for a used one after you factor in warranty and interest rates.
If a CPO ST were close to low 40K then it would be a sweet deal with less than 15,000 miles. Honestly haven't looked but that's how I would shop Lincolns, 1-2 year old, low miles.

Explorer ST Posts