Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What don't you like about your ST?

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Well, first of all I love changing my own oil and after watching a few videos on how to do this on my ST, I am not so happy with this change. Will be doing this change soon and will chime back in. I also have an issue with the brake pedal position. Need the ability to move it. Didn't notice any issues with brake pedal on my 2017 Explorer. Otherwise wife and I love the ST. No irritating noises and no speeding tickets yet. I did go with the 20" inch wheels and it's possible these are a little easier on the suspension. Would appreciate others thoughts on the difference in the two wheels just pertaining to suspension/interior noises.

Reactions
Regarding the used ones, several members have highlighted that when they had Ford buyback their vehicles for various issues like suspension, transmission etc. they found it right back in the lot with a for sale sign. It could be risky that you might end up with one of those problematic ones.

Regarding the interior noise, I too have it coming from the rear interior, it is definitely the interior. It is a slight metallic kind (just sounds like that) maybe the liftgate and it only come on certain types of road imperfections and even it the same area that I drive by, not everytime, it is random so don't want to take it to the dealer, I guess I will just live with it.

hbalek

Reactions
Regarding the used ones, several members have highlighted that when they had Ford buyback their vehicles for various issues like suspension, transmission etc. they found it right back in the lot with a for sale sign. It could be risky that you might end up with one of those problematic ones.

Regarding the interior noise, I too have it coming from the rear interior, it is definitely the interior. It is a slight metallic kind (just sounds like that) maybe the liftgate and it only come on certain types of road imperfections and even it the same area that I drive by, not everytime, it is random so don't want to take it to the dealer, I guess I will just live with it.
I have a hunch my creaky squeaky noise is from the cargo area floor cover shifting in place. Because after I have opened that compartment under the floor, the rattle noise seems to go away until it's shifted again.

Reactions
I have a hunch my creaky squeaky noise is from the cargo area floor cover shifting in place. Because after I have opened that compartment under the floor, the rattle noise seems to go away until it's shifted again.
At least you found your possible source. Mine sounded like the spare wheel area but I have given up.

hbalek

Reactions
At least you found your possible source. Mine sounded like the spare wheel area but I have given up.
Actually that was the other theory on mine. I had a flat tire back in March and maybe the spare wasn't secured in the trunk after the new tire was mounted.

Reactions
Actually that was the other theory on mine. I had a flat tire back in March and maybe the spare wasn't secured in the trunk after the new tire was mounted.
I checked my spare, tried tightening it even further but it looks well secured so don't know if it that jack under the wheel which is vibrating during certain road imperfections. I don't want to dig too much and make things worse.

Reactions
Many others complained about about rear door panel noises and dash noises especially in extreme heat. Maybe if yours was built in 2020, they resolved some manufacturing issues. Or maybe the sound from your aftermarket exhaust covers up other minor noises!
I noticed in mine, that there's creaking somewhere in the moonroof area behind the drivers seat. didn't happen in summer when it was hot. But now, in winter it happens all the time even on residential streets going 25mph.

Reactions
I noticed in mine, that there's creaking somewhere in the moonroof area behind the drivers seat. didn't happen in summer when it was hot. But now, in winter it happens all the time even on residential streets going 25mph.
I had this exact problem with my Lincoln (that I traded in for the ST). That annoying rattle only in cold or rather cooler weather. No noise during hot days or if it is parked in the sun for a long time. Even on cool days, it disappeared right after a car wash (i guess the hot water) and then came back once the car dried and cooled.

After investigating for over a month, I decided to press the entire moon roof all around the edges. I found out that the glass was very slightly misaligned and one of the edge of the glass (with the rubber molding) was hitting the body of the car to the side pillar. To reconfirm, I slid a visiting card all around the gap between the moon roof and body of the car and there is was, the visiting card would Not go through in one spot because there was no clearance. I sat inside the car and asked my daughter to press down on that area and I could hear the same noise.

After I was convinced about the root cause, showed and explained it to the dealer. After 3 attempts to realign the roof (because there was Not much room or provision to move the moon roof too much sideways), it was finally fixed and there was never that annoying noise again. I should thank that dealer for being so patient and willing to tweak it so many time until they got it right. Of course, first they will try the automated electronic realignment process (they press few buttons etc. and the system realigns the moon roof) and then only they will go to the manual alignment. The automatic one did not fix my problem so they had to manually adjust it or rather move that area a little away from the body where it was rubbing.

I am not saying you have the same problem but might be worth looking.

Reactions
I get a little tired of the FENG (Fake engine noise generator). I've read on this forum exactly how to make it go away, but I'm a little afraid to try it. Same goes for the 2 honk horn alarm when you get out of the vehicle and close the door with the fob in your pocket and the engine is still running. Simple remedy, turn the radio up loud and put the fob in the cup holder. Problem solved.

Reactions
Turned off the 2 honk thing, also turned off the fake engine noise, only to turn it back on - it was too quiet. Also put on an auto stop eliminator, hated pressing the button every time I drove the ST.

Reactions
Turned off the 2 honk thing, also turned off the fake engine noise, only to turn it back on - it was too quiet. Also put on an auto stop eliminator, hated pressing the button every time I drove the ST.
Yeah, I hate that auto stop thing too.

Reactions
To be honest, buying a used ST right now seems like a genuinely bone headed move. With new 20s being 50k or less, and used ones being 45k or more, you literally pay more for a used one after you factor in warranty and interest rates.
Funny to see this. I am actually just wrapping up a deal on a new '20 ST with under 10 miles on it. $47K before taxes and reg. 0% financing for 72 months and 3 months of payment deferments.

There are some great deals out there as Ford rushes to clear the 2020 leftovers.

OP
BlkGS
Reactions
Thread Starter #33
What's your MSRP? We are at 50k on a tech, piano roof, st perf pack car, shows 60k MSRP.

OP
BlkGS
Reactions
Thread Starter #35
The dealer I was working with decided that if I do the 0% financing, they can't honor 3250 worth of "dealer cash". Sounds like they're just jerking me around. Not happy with them to say the least...

Reactions
Not a fan of the low beam headlights. The beam pattern is terrible, especially on the left. Feels like a couple of half dead flashlights pointed at the center of the lane. And yes, they're adjusted properly.

Good luck seeing that left turn approach you want to make on a rural road, or navigating the twisties at night.

And if there is wildlife in the ditch, best hope they don't jump out because you won't see them if they do.

The fog lights also seem like they're just for show.

And its not just me, IIHS seems to have a similar opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

OP
BlkGS
Reactions
Thread Starter #37
That's interesting. I assumed it'd be a good set of headlights being full led, the led headlights on my f150 were fantastic.

hbalek

Reactions
I have no complaints about my headlights. I drove a 2013 MKZ with adaptive LED projectors and I like the ST better!

Reactions
I have no complaints about my headlights. I drove a 2013 MKZ with adaptive LED projectors and I like the ST better!
The Jeep Grand Cherokee we had before had much better low beams. Nice and wide, even light. Easy to see the ditches/approaches on both sides of the road, even with oncoming traffic.

My wife drove it again in the dark this morning, and said she was happy there wasn't much traffic so she could keep the highbeams on.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
The only two issues I have is the faux carbon fiber trim pieces that end at the vertical center screen look cheap and fit poorly.....and some above average wind noise. Everything else has been pretty good. Knock on wood.