Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What don't you like about your ST?

Reactions
So, owners don't like changing the oil in their ST? It is about the simplist maintenance activity around, except maybe checking and setting tire pressure.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Well poop.
I finally got a gripe.
Last night late I had to go help my friend that just had surgery.
It was 9 pm, dark and raining.

My cell phone battery was near dead . I wanted to charge it off USB , it's to big for the wireless.
I keep a charge cable in all my cars.
But couldn't remember if it was in glove box or center console compartment.

AHA...there is not courtesy light in either one.
Now that pissed me off.
I had to use the phone flashlight to finally find it in the bottom of the center console.

Are you kidding me ...$56k car and no light in glove compartment.

Just me?

Jim

hbalek

Reactions
Well poop.
I finally got a gripe.

My cell phone battery was near dead . I wanted to charge it off USB , it's to big for the wireless.

Now that pissed me off.
I had to use the phone flashlight to finally find it in the bottom of the center console.

Just me?

Jim
Mine has them. Is yours a 2021? Mine is 11/19 build 2020 model and has light in all 3 compartments: glove box, 2 center console compartments. Also, my cell phone doesn't allow flashlight use if under 5% power.

Reactions
I don’t like the difficulty to update the sync system. For us not quite computer geniuses, Ford should just offer the updates on a thumb drive for a nominal fee.
I believe they do literally that exact thing. I may be wrong, however.

Reactions
I believe they do literally that exact thing. I may be wrong, however.
They offer it for the Maps update, but not the actual Sync system updates. These are the options for the Sync updates:

1617209336582.png

Reactions
Mine has them. Is yours a 2021? Mine is 11/19 build 2020 model and has light in all 3 compartments: glove box, 2 center console compartments. Also, my cell phone doesn't allow flashlight use if under 5% power.
I just checked in my 2021 and there is no light in the glovebox or the center storage (under the arm rest). Only the area with the USB ports has a light. Cost cutting strikes again?

Naumo

Reactions
Well poop.
I finally got a gripe.

Now that pissed me off.

Just me?

Jim
Agreed and the lack of USBs throughout the interior and the center console(the back seat passengers have one USB) so the wiring is already present to drop one or two inside the console). The third row has nothing

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
M
I just checked in my 2021 and there is no light in the glovebox or the center storage (under the arm rest). Only the area with the USB ports has a light. Cost cutting strikes again?
Mine is also a 10/20 build 2021.

Same here.

Jim

Reactions
The vehicle has to much power.

Just kidding, I am just concerned I may have weird issues popping up here and there. Play it by ear.

Reactions
This thread is for the things you don't like: here's mine.

Panel gaps awful, trunk and plastic bits at roof rails
“ST” on hatch is squint
Driver’s seat bottom covering has failed 500 km
FENG loud and invasive and soooo cheesy
Left middle seat upholstery loose and wrinkled
Loud deep rumbling under car when decelerating, makes head hurt!
Sunroof useless, loud buffeting/noise
Pass seat cooling u/s
Rear windows do not open, they are stuck in their tracks
Slooow screen, for everything
Stupid, useless tiny camera pictures, 1/4 of the screen?
Sirius cuts out
No way to select defaults, I want it to start in Sport
Orange peel paint - I guess if you can't program a backup camera you certainly can't program a paint robot.
Rear hatch gets filthy immediately
Wind noise awful
Fake "carbon fibre" inside doesn't fit
Notchy shifting
Flimsy cover on the usb compartment, so thin only one side latches
Cargo area cover and those stupid side slots...really?
Seat memory will give you your saved settings only if you're really lucky.

Nice looking car, made by idiots. You'd think they'd be embarrassed to stick that union sticker on it. I started by looking at a Lexus but it truly was an ugly car. I should have squinted a little tighter and bought a Lexus.

LQQK

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Nice looking car, made by idiots. You'd think they'd be embarrassed to stick that union sticker on it. I started by looking at a Lexus but it truly was an ugly car. I should have squinted a little tighter and bought a Lexus.
Lexus makes a pretty solid vehicle but that ugly grill is Joke. I’ll never be seen driving that monstrosity!

I’m On the fence as far as purchasing an ST but with so many cons, I’m not sure I’ll be able to pull the trigger!

On the other side of the fence is the GV70, I'm just waiting to see what the price will be. If it’s crazy high then I may pull the trigger on the ST???

Reactions
Lexus makes a pretty solid vehicle but that ugly grill is Joke. I’ll never be seen driving that monstrosity!

I’m On the fence as far as purchasing an ST but with so many cons, I’m not sure I’ll be able to pull the trigger!

On the other side of the fence is the GV70, I'm just waiting to see what the price will be. If it’s crazy high then I may pull the trigger on the ST???
We drove the GV80, but liked the ST better... We thought both were equally as quite and rode the same. We were also told the wait for a V6 GV80 was six to eight months.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
I never touch the headlight switch, it is always on 'A.' This morning, I opened the door and immediately there was a three-note chime which continued until I shut the door and immediately got the two-blatt horn thing. Mystified, I started up and did my errand. Upon return, I locked the car as per usual but the tails and headlight stayed on. Continuously. Investigating, I found the headlight indicator light was on Park. Presumably, the software update selected that position as I sure didn't. The switch can be turned 360* and the computer selects the actual position. The lights must have been on all night! So I'm darned lucky the battery wasn't dead. Maybe Ford is in charge of getting Canada's Covid vaccines Too? They appear to be displaying that level of (in)competence with this vehicle.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Your lights won’t stay on all night. They turn off after 10 minutes or something to protect the battery when people don’t have them on auto and forget to turn them off or leave the inside lights on.

Reactions
I never touch the headlight switch, it is always on 'A.' This morning, I opened the door and immediately there was a three-note chime which continued until I shut the door and immediately got the two-blatt horn thing. Mystified, I started up and did my errand. Upon return, I locked the car as per usual but the tails and headlight stayed on. Continuously. Investigating, I found the headlight indicator light was on Park. Presumably, the software update selected that position as I sure didn't. The switch can be turned 360* and the computer selects the actual position. The lights must have been on all night! So I'm darned lucky the battery wasn't dead. Maybe Ford is in charge of getting Canada's Covid vaccines Too? They appear to be displaying that level of (in)competence with this vehicle.
That has happened to me twice. I always thought it was user error but come home and the lights stay on even when on auto. Need to pay attention and see when it happens but glad I am not the only one

hbalek

Reactions
That has happened to me twice. I always thought it was user error but come home and the lights stay on even when on auto. Need to pay attention and see when it happens but glad I am not the only one
Mine did this 3 or 4 times last fall and up until January. It hasn't happened since. It's as if the switch was asleep. Here is proof! As you can see the lights were on but the switch LED indicator was off. Once I turned the knob counterclockwise it woke up and turned the lights off. I put it back at the Auto position on January 8. It has not happened since then, in 4 months.

Attachments

Reactions
Had mine about 7 months, Black 2020 ST with Street Pack

1. The audio system boots way too slow. I really does seem to be 5 minutes before it fully boots and runs smoothly.

2. It feels like the seat memory never gets is exactly right.

3. Straight line - Awesome power, pick up, control and smooth.
Tight turns - Too much body roll. Feels like on stilts.

4. I think the AC (HVAC) switches and buttons aren't laid out well. Little confusing.

5. Waze is wonky and near useless through the Sync system

6. Occasionally the nav system thinks it's in an airplane....or she dreams of being an airplane.

Reactions
I had some surgery yesterday and could not drive myself home from the hospital. I rode in the centre seat and discovered how truly awful this suspension is. No compliance, it rides like a horse was pulling it. Every road crack or divot is magnified through the car and I felt like a pea in a collander.

Yes, I was more sensitive than usual but I truly believe that this is an awful car. Its principle virtue is its powerful engine but its connected to a sh*tty transmission and spoiled by the cr*ppy FENG and useless electronics so not only are you battered by the suspension, your ears are hammered by the crappy sounds which drown out the stereo. I'll bet your passengers will attempt to kill you during a long drive!

Reactions
2021 MY ST - I would say the weird rumble at some speeds (seems someone would find that cause and fix) which reminds me of the early 2000s Mitsubishi Montero's that did that.
The other is the passenger side mirror whistle.
Otherwise, love it...

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk