Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What don't you like about your ST?

hbalek

Reactions
Auto high beams work very well and I always appreciate when they activate on darker roads!

Reactions
The dealer I was working with decided that if I do the 0% financing, they can't honor 3250 worth of "dealer cash". Sounds like they're just jerking me around. Not happy with them to say the least...
My deal (just closed this morning and back, now!) was:

MSRP - $57,000
Dealer Discount - $4,500
Ford Rebate - $5,750
Total before TTL - $46,750

2020 with a 12/19 build date and 7 miles on the odo.

0% financing for 72 months
90 day payment deferment (payments start in mid March)

hbalek

Reactions
My deal (just closed this morning and back, now!) was:

MSRP - $57,000
Dealer Discount - $4,500
Ford Rebate - $5,750
Total before TTL - $46,750

2020 with a 12/19 build date and 7 miles on the odo.

0% financing for 72 months
90 day payment deferment (payments start in mid March)
Wow that is a great deal! I can't believe that ST was at the dealer lot for a year and only driven 7 miles. Mine was built 11/19 and bought on 12/4/19 so in stock less than 3 weeks and had about 15 miles on it before I started test driving it and purchased with 42 miles on it. Congrats!

Reactions
Wow that is a great deal! I can't believe that ST was at the dealer lot for a year and only driven 7 miles. Mine was built 11/19 and bought on 12/4/19 so in stock less than 3 weeks and had about 15 miles on it before I started test driving it and purchased with 42 miles on it. Congrats!
The 7 miles thing was shocking. It had 9 miles on it when I picked it up today. So someone drove her almost a third of her mileage in one day! ;)

I picked mine up at Winner Ford in Dover, DE. They have two 2020 STs left in stock if anyone is looking. One has 6,000 miles on it (Magnetic) and the other is probably around the same as mine (Gray). Their stock still shows a white one, but that's the one I picked up today.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I fixed everything I didn’t like. Well...most things...prepping for a deep dive into the audio next.

Reactions
Has anyone had to have your headlights changed out yet? The owners manual says if one goes out to schedule it into the dealer. I looked under the hood and do not see a path for the owner to change out these bulbs/elements. Also heard a rumor of $1,200 to replace at the dealer. I do not know if it's covered under the warranty. Anyone have any experience with this yet?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Has anyone had to have your headlights changed out yet? The owners manual says if one goes out to schedule it into the dealer. I looked under the hood and do not see a path for the owner to change out these bulbs/elements. Also heard a rumor of $1,200 to replace at the dealer. I do not know if it's covered under the warranty. Anyone have any experience with this yet?
The LED bulbs are non serviceable. They’re built into the housing.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I would say definitely covered under warranty unless there is obvious damage, in which then your insurance should cover it.

hbalek

Reactions
Three body related things I don't like about the Explorer ST: the hood scoop out area fills with rain water or snow when parked uphill. When dry it looks really cool but a bad design flaw. If you were to leave the car on an incline for a long period of time, you would have a birdbath on your hood full of dirt and debris. Also noticed today after a snow and ice storm, the huge gap between the windshield wipers and the hood allows a lot of snow to fill up under the hood on top of the cowl cover and battery area. I wish I had taken a photo but was really annoying to see that much snow inside the hood and other times of the year it fills up with leaves and other tree debris. The third item is always noticeable which is the rear hatch gets covered in dirt and grime very quickly probably due to aerodynamics and the spoiler.

Reactions
The battery location and access to it is not very user friendly. Cannot see the positive post to connect a jumper lead. Should have routed those capped-off brass jumper cable terminals closer to the front like Jeep does with their Cherokee.

Reactions
I wish there was an easier way to perform the updates for the sync system.

If ford offered the USB thumb drive with the updates for a nominal price that would be good.

Reactions
Two things I don't like...

1. Should have come with hood struts (lower models do)
2. Projector headlights! Again cheaper models come standard with projectors yet this didn't (not even an option). The headlights are lacking as far as light output.

ScottST

Reactions
Small back up camera view on the vertical display. It should have an option to take up the entire screen. My only complaint after owning a couple of weeks and I like to complain, lol!

Reactions
The navigation takes a wee bit of forever to load up and be useful. Easily overlooked though as I do like (it took me a while) the bigger screen.

I don't like that the rear hatch doesn't have just the window that can open. Then again, that is just for here in Northern VA while our house is being built in FL and we are stuck in an apartment garage dealio where the pipes above our much beloved parking spot make it next to impossible to open the entire hatch (yes, even with the adjustment from small 8 year old height to basketball star height).

Those are just "don't likes" and the fact that we have had Escalades and X5s before, this is right up there in cool, awesome vehicles that we love.

Jarvis

Reactions
1) Where there are hard plastics, they all scratch easily. Hard to "buff" out.
2) While the seats are comfortable, they don't have to be all that "thick". Gives the cabin a less airy feel.
3) The 10 in vertical screen interface is laggy. Response time makes me press twice which causes it to lock up.
4) Caller complaints of echoing during phone calls.
5) Rear bench seats fore and aft adjustments are molasses tight. Spring tension?

ASmith

Reactions
I actually have no complaints! But then again I bought it as a performance suv, understanding full well, she may be a rougher ride, and be noisey, but I was going for handling and performance with decent mileage per gallon. I drive a modified Mustang Gt for my other car, which turns on a dime and has been set up to perform better than factory, so I am use to this type of creature to begin with. I traded my Lincoln Navigator for the ST, and honestly the only thing I miss is the rear hatch room for my dogs, they also miss the head room back there lol. I have no wind noise or rattling concerns, mine is tight and quiet.

Reactions
Needs a “hey idiot, your phone is on the wireless charger” alert. Too many times having to go back out to the car.

The tablet is too slow and maps don’t show well in main view unless static north is deactivated.

Reactions
There's a lot I don't like about my 2021 ST:

- Rattles like a horse-drawn carriage over small bumps and uneven roads at low speeds.
- Random low battery alerts on the Ford App
- Ford App remote start only works 50% of the time
- Third row seats do not fold truly flat, the load floor is slanted in the rear.
- Switching drive modes is very slow and laggy
- Infotainment system is also very slow and laggy
- Fuel efficiency is trash, it's as bad as my old 5.7 V8 Toyota Tundra
- Fuel range is garbage as well, only 450 km to a tank?
- Some of the trim pieces in the interior are not assembled correctly and have uneven gaps
- Stereo system is very poor. I know people on this forum like it, but it's not a good system in my opinion.
- There's a weird clunk when decelerating after first starting driving--comes from the rear of the vehicle, sounds like the gas tank sliding forwards or something.
- Strange behavior: My interior mood lighting disabled itself for no apparent reason, had to be turned on again. Came out to my garage one morning and the rear lift gate was open.
- The exhaust tips are fake and the true exhaust points downwards.
- The fake engine noise (I removed with Forscan)
- The double honk (removed with Forscan)
- The auto-start/stop (fixed with autostop eliminator)
- The need to install an oil catch can (fixed with a JLT can)
- The unnecessary difficulty performing oil changes (have to remove underbody panels with multiple fragile clips that are guaranteed to break).
- The fact the oil pan is PLASTIC!!! On a vehicle that costs this much!!
- The seats aren't the greatest.

I also just don't like the ecoboost engine. I don't trust it. It's a high-strung, high-output engine and I feel like it's going to die and early death.

Honestly the only redeeming features in my mind are the fast acceleration and the firm handling. Otherwise it feels like a cheaply built, planned obsolescence, disposable vehicle.

Sadly i've already invested my cash into this hunk of trash, so I'll have to make the most of it for a little while until I can trade it in on something better. Last time I will ever buy a Ford. I should have known.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Sounds like some folks need to actually look over and drive a car before they buy it.
I love mine...it’s an 11 second corner carving go kart and I have fun every time I drive it.

Reactions
Sounds like some folks need to actually look over and drive a car before they buy it.
I love mine...it’s an 11 second corner carving go kart and I have fun every time I drive it.
Love mine as well not at 11sec yet lol still need intercooler and zfg 93 tune (praying for Adam to return).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk