Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Caution here Kevin.

Recall that this platform also generates the type of members who advise others that 0.16% of reported breaks over 3 model years equals a massive across the board parts failure.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the panic expressed by these types stems from the fact that FORD hasn't made a power train to support their 550+ hp tunes. Lol

Again, caution. There's a reason why I had to block several whining/irrational types here, more than on any other forum I've ever been on.

I honestly expected a more mature, logical thinking audience. Nope. At times, it seems more like a Mustang/Camaro forum ...........
1706454892487.jpeg

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Caution here Kevin.

Recall that this platform also generates the type of members who advise others that 0.16% of reported breaks over 3 model years equals a massive across the board parts failure.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the panic expressed by these types stems from the fact that FORD hasn't made a power train to support their 550+ hp tunes. Lol

Again, caution. There's a reason why I had to block several whining/irrational types here, more than on any other forum I've ever been on.

I honestly expected a more mature, logical thinking audience. Nope. At times, it seems more like a Mustang/Camaro forum ...........
There should be ZERO breaks period and your numbers are made up since Ford hasn't advertised the exact number of broken bolts.

If you want to claim anything else you are going to need to explain why differential bolts aren't breaking and requiring recalls across all manufacturers and vehicles. The fact that bolts are pulled out bent (even if they aren't broken) is proof that it was engineered incorrectly.

The last thing Mr. Fireman won't and cannot address is why the Lincoln Aviator is still built with the 2 bolt rear subframe. In fact I challenge him to go to a Lincoln dealer and let us all know how many single bolt rears he finds. The Aviator has the same exact drivetrain that the ST does, this includes the same ratio rear end. If Lincoln engineers refused to accept the change on their premium product it should make us all take notice. (Ford tried to save a dime and ended up costing itself a dollar)

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
20240117_093846a-2.jpg
This is the pic Mr. Fireman posted (of his own mount?). Interestingly, it shows the new mount but instead of the "upgraded" bolt, that there is the old "SPF 10.9" bolt! Now if Ford really thought the new bolt (W720988S439) was "upgraded" would they have put that old one in there? Old bolt, new bolt... probably doesn't matter because it's the same bolt as far as specs. As long as you're getting a new bolt, that's all that matters. If I had a 1 bolt, I'd be buying a few of these bolts and replacing it yearly. If anything, to check to make sure it's not bent. Ford does not recommend you reuse these bolts so if you check it, you should put in a new one--even if it's not bent.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
The "solid core" (improved) bushing shown in the pic immediately above addresses what Ford deemed to be the root cause, namely:

"The joint design is not robust to peak axle input torques and manufacturing variability. The primary contributor is insufficient bearing area for maximum joint loads. This results in bearing area deformation, increasing bending stress on the bolt, which may lead to a fatigue failure."

They are referred to the "webbed" core design of the earlier bushing, P/N L1MW-4B425-BA.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have not been paying attention to this at all. So basically they’re just replacing the bolt with supposedly a new and improved version? How long is the dealer taking to do this? I have not inquired about it with my dealer as I try to avoid going there at all cost.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have not been paying attention to this at all. So basically they’re just replacing the bolt with supposedly a new and improved version? How long is the dealer taking to do this? I have not inquired about it with my dealer as I try to avoid going there at all cost.
The latest recall is to replace the original rear bushing on pre-'23 "three-bolt" Explorers with a revised design bushing (and install a fresh bolt just in case the original one might be compromised). Ford is saying the new style bushing should prevent bolt damage. Not sure how long it takes.

Boyd

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Just replacing the bolt... no. They remove the differential to drive the old bushing out and press a new one in. Also inspect the cover and replace that if needed. I'd plan on having to leave your car there for a full day at least. Its an involved repair.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
My ST is at the dealership as I type, getting both the new camera and bolt/bushing recalls completed.

The service manager said the bolt job was estimated at 3 hours. I'll provide an update when I have the work order in hand.

Reactions
Just replacing the bolt... no. They remove the differential to drive the old bushing out and press a new one in. Also inspect the cover and replace that if needed. I'd plan on having to leave your car there for a full day at least. Its an involved repair.

They are just dropping the diff a little to install new bushing and bolt. They aren’t actually removing anything from the vehicle like that video showed. I wouldn’t count on the techs to actually inspect anything.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

LuxST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
https://fordauthority.com/2024/02/2020-2022-ford-explorer-rear-axle-bolt-investigation-closed/amp/

Then, last October, Ford issued another recall instructing dealers to replace the subframe bushing and rear axle bolt in affected vehicles, which – coupled with a customer service program – has prompted the NHTSA to close its investigation, which was opened by the Office of Defect Investigation (ODI) last July after the agency received three complaints from owners of affected vehicles.”

read this just yesterday

ST Jarmusic

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer st
Good morning,

I’m in the same exact situation. Ordered my ST on February 8th, and it finally came yesterday. The dealer won’t release the vehicle because they’re saying Ford has a safety recall on the rear axle. It must be repaired before I get it. Sucks..
I would be more than mad!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I picked up my ST yesterday from local dealership for Rear Axle Bolt and Rear Camera Recall fixes.
Got about 6 miles from dealership on interstate and rear end started to whine, then all hell broke loose, made hell of a racket & locked up solid. Luckily was able to maneuver it to the shoulder and had roadside assistance haul back to dealer (after biz hours of course). Left voice message at Service desk to call me ASAP in morning to get S*%! figured out. Can't believe it but NOT surprised that a tech cannot do a simple fix.
Attached is the service write up of what they did.

Attachments

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
^^^Unreal! Glad you are safe. Good luck getting it fixed for real!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Wow. That's horrible.

Perhaps fortunately for me, my dealer never received the new bushing, so they have yet to perform the bolt recall. Maybe I'll sit this one out for a while longer.

On a positive note, the new replacement rear camera has been flawless.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
I picked up my ST yesterday from local dealership for Rear Axle Bolt and Rear Camera Recall fixes.
Got about 6 miles from dealership on interstate and rear end started to whine, then all hell broke loose, made hell of a racket & locked up solid. Luckily was able to maneuver it to the shoulder and had roadside assistance haul back to dealer (after biz hours of course). Left voice message at Service desk to call me ASAP in morning to get S*%! figured out. Can't believe it but NOT surprised that a tech cannot do a simple fix.
Attached is the service write up of what they did.
Damn! Glad you made it safely to the side of the road.

They still have to do mine, parts are on "delay" as per usual with Ford. Thursday i've got an appointmet with other dealer and expert to investigate my car and force replacement through a judge.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Got a call from the service advisor and he said the tech "misread" the amount of rear diff fluid on re-fill. They have a new diff coming should be here Tuesday for replacement. I live 50 miles away and they are supposed to be delivering a loaner to me this afternoon :rolleyes:
I really had low expectations for the dealership before I went in and not to my surprise I set the bar way too high for them. At least the service advisor is trying to accommodate as it's not his fault. But seriously!! :mad:
And let it be known that it's not just Ford dealer around here. My wife's rig is a 2022 Suburban High Country and I do all the service work on that too. Local Chevy service techs didn't tighten down the oil filter on 2nd oil change last year and it puked 2 quarts out in my garage. So they are cut from the same torn cloth.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Unfortunately it's the state of the industry now, a dealer is only as good as the techs it hires...and pays for!