Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Attached is the earlier repair of the police units. The tool is shown in the doc.
Thanks,

I'd think that a bushing replacement tool shouldn't be so hard to source.

Edit:
Indeed. About 60 euro for a universal set.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thanks,

I'd think that a bushing replacement tool shouldn't be so hard to source.

Edit:
Indeed. About 60 euro for a universal set.

If you or I were doing the repair, that would be fine. When a dealership is doing the work for Ford, they have to work with the tools Ford calls out. If the dealership did the work with alternate tooling, and something happened later on, then the dealership would be responsible since they didnt follow Ford directions.

My dealership is also having issues getting the proper tooling.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
…….expected as much from a Subie WRX forum, or even a Mustang/Camaro forum, but not an Explorer ST forum…
If every forum you post in responds to you with similar disdain, you ever think it is just you rather than the entire world? Yeah, victimhood is a bitch.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Attached is the earlier repair of the police units. The tool is shown in the doc.
I had this question in my mind the whole time - did Ford's crazy, cheap ass put the 3-bolt diff into Police Utility vehicles? Thanks to this post I know the answer.
Honestly, the units that are driven hard, put away wet, and have the lives of not just civilians, but officers that protect them - are given such weak treatment.
Whoever came up with this "cost-saving" maneuver, better be looking for new work, or at least not be making product decisions anymore.

How much did only having three differential bushings/bolts save Ford?
Is there any point where they realize this practice is not worth it?
Does NTSB or DOT have the intelligence to make strict guidelines about this sort of practice to prevent it from happening in the future?

The other elephant in the room - did Ford continue the practice for 2025?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
How much did only having three differential bushings/bolts save Ford?
Is there any point where they realize this practice is not worth it?
Have any bolts failed after they adopted the new rear bushing design for the "3-bolts"?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Have any bolts failed after they adopted the new rear bushing design for the "3-bolts"?
Have no clue.
Though, to be fair, we hadn't seen a lot of this, just a few times.
Problems like this get diluted by the fact that all 200K+ owners don't talk to each other all the time, and many owners aren't under the car checking for diff bolts every day.
For example, I'd never have known Toyota was having issues with gas pedals getting stuck until I saw an instance crop up on the news.

Hopefully someone checks in with us at some point.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
We honestly won't know if the new bushing design works until a year or two later. The bolt replacement is going to buy Ford time. And for the talk of a few hundred failures for 200k+ Explorers, let it be known that only the Ecoboost 3.0L were designed by Ford engineers for the 4 bolt subframe--so maybe a quarter of that number. And bottom line, only Ford has any real data which they will never voluntarily disclose except by mandate of the NTSC. There were only a handful of failures to this forum's members yet ford had record of several hundred failures.

Last edited: