Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

TFocker

Reactions
So we just picked up a 2022 ST back in January and it's been great so far. Our niece liked it so much, she ordered one as well. It showed up earlier this week and they were supposed to pick it up tomorrow.
The dealer just reached out and told them a safety recall was issued yesterday and they can't sell her the car until it's fixed.
Summary of the recall - In some of the affected vehicles, the rear axle mounting bolt may fracture during acceleration. If the bolt breaks, shit will go badly.
Dealers are not permitted to test drive or deliver vehicles affected. A dealer bulletin will be issued by the end of Q2, at which point they're making a PCM update.

Has anyone else heard about this? The dealer said if they would have picked the vehicle up yesterday, they would have had no issue. But now they aren't able to give any estimated delivery date.

MrHoward

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Sucks the fix sounds like a major HP/ torque downgrade…

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
The fix for a breaking bolt is a PCM update??? WTF Ford???!!!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Request more information prior to speculation. Is there a recall number or something to reference the exact details?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Sorry I don’t read to well as the number was in the subject. Will sit back until more info is provided.

Drew_Will

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So we just picked up a 2022 ST back in January and it's been great so far. Our niece liked it so much, she ordered one as well. It showed up earlier this week and they were supposed to pick it up tomorrow.
The dealer just reached out and told them a safety recall was issued yesterday and they can't sell her the car until it's fixed.
Summary of the recall - In some of the affected vehicles, the rear axle mounting bolt may fracture during acceleration. If the bolt breaks, shit will go badly.
Dealers are not permitted to test drive or deliver vehicles affected. A dealer bulletin will be issued by the end of Q2, at which point they're making a PCM update.

Has anyone else heard about this? The dealer said if they would have picked the vehicle up yesterday, they would have had no issue. But now they aren't able to give any estimated delivery date.
Good morning,

I’m in the same exact situation. Ordered my ST on February 8th, and it finally came yesterday. The dealer won’t release the vehicle because they’re saying Ford has a safety recall on the rear axle. It must be repaired before I get it. Sucks..

Drew_Will

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Pics

Attachments

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Good morning,

I’m in the same exact situation. Ordered my ST on February 8th, and it finally came yesterday. The dealer won’t release the vehicle because they’re saying Ford has a safety recall on the rear axle. It must be repaired before I get it. Sucks..
What was the build date on your ST?

Mine was ordered on 11/17/21 and built on 3/17/22.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Sorry I don’t read to well as the number was in the subject. Will sit back until more info is provided.
Yup, as of now we're definitely short on info.

Reactions
This was posted on one of the explorer FB groups. It really sucks for the people who had their order delivered recently or are waiting for delivery. They now need to wait until October to pick up their vehicle just for just retune. It also looks like the police are getting some kind of part to fix the issue EBB69D4D-626C-4F49-81E9-31E63E10F9E2.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
If the fix is a power down grade.....no thanks. That sounds like a law suit for sure. Can't take away part of the 400 hp they advertised and we paid for.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
They'll say "You have your full 400 hp, but the torque management parameters have been adjusted."

Reactions
They'll say "You have your full 400 hp, but the torque management parameters have been adjusted."
Yup, will still have the peak HP/TQ so they’re probably protected there. I assume it’s going to take until October because they will have to test and prove to the NHTSA that the PCM update is adequate.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
They’re saying the update should be available end of Q2 (June). It’s the actual parts for police vehicles that will take until end of Q3.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Yup, will still have the peak HP/TQ so they’re probably protected there. I assume it’s going to take until October because they will have to test and prove to the NHTSA that the PCM update is adequate.
I want my low end torque! And I want it now!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Is there anyone here that has the 2 bolt subframe AND falls within this recall since it goes all the way back to 2018 when 2 bolt frames were being produced?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you look at the dates, of post #11, every single explorer ever built falls under that recall. So yes, my 2020 with two bolt falls under recall.

usna2k

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I wonder if they are going to canx the ST SUV Experience due to the safety recall until their fleet can be fixed?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I believe somebody that attended confirmed their Explorers had the two bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk