Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Got a Service update today from Ford Engineering, the 3.0L vehicles are not having the issues. They have no data to support this issue affecting the3.0L. Retail or Police...
This is big news!
No wonder FORD's data (and even our own poll here) show virtually zero breaks.

Reactions
Got a Service update today from Ford Engineering, the 3.0L vehicles are not having the issues. They have no data to support this issue affecting the3.0L. Retail or Police. Continued delays on getting parts.

The PCM flash to engage the E Brake cannot be done on the Police version because it has hard cable transmission shifter on column not like fly by wire rotary shifter on the retail Explorer.

are they delaying PIU 3LTT production? I wonder if no PIU are affected because they have the upgraded rear end

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just an update, I notice the Ebrake much more now. Every time I shift from park into either reverse or Drive the ebrake is on until I hit the accelerator pedal. ST won't roll when I shift into Drive until I hit the gas.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Just an update, I notice the Ebrake much more now. Every time I shift from park into either reverse or Drive the ebrake is on until I hit the accelerator pedal. ST won't roll when I shift into Drive until I hit the gas.
This is how all 2020-2022 Explorers work when the Ebrake is on.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Did a CAP Tour yesterday, they are only running afternoon shifts right now so when we were there in the day the line was stopped. Lots of STs on the line in various stages. I asked specifically if they were installing new bolts and they stated they were but there just wasn't enough for delivery to dealers for repairs to customer vehicles. If I had to guess I would estimate STs and Timberline's are the most frequently built right now, anecdotal based on what I saw.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
This is how all 2020-2022 Explorers work when the Ebrake is on.
Definitely is more noticeable after the pcm update. Before I noticed it every once in a while. Now I notice it every time I come out of park. Sometimes it takes a decent stab at the accelerator to get it to release especially first thing in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
You could just turn off the parking brake with the manual activation/deactivation button.

Reactions
I always use the parking brake, but I am hating the idea of it going on automatically when you place the vehicle in park. I have the two (four) bolt axle and just received my recall notice. I am hesitant.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I always use the parking brake, but I am hating the idea of it going on automatically when you place the vehicle in park. I have the two (four) bolt axle and just received my recall notice. I am hesitant.
Not that my opinion matters but in your situation, I wouldn't be taking it in for the recall. The software update simply isn't addressing the concern many of us have. I'm worried about the darn thing breaking, not about it rolling away once it has broken.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Ford Explorer Platinum Hybrid
Reactions
I know, like I wouldn't know if the driveshaft became disconnected while trying to park. But I also have the backup camera recall to do (hasn't been an issue for me yet) and the left cat cracking recall to do when they get parts (that one I think I would like to get done). I figure when I take it in they will do all three.

SDFlyer1

Reactions
So, I had the ECM reflash (part#1) of the axle bolt facture recall done today and noticed nothing different with parking brake engagement??, power level/acceleration seems the same with my butt dyno but did notice the little cars (Easter Eggs) are missing from the Adaptive cruise follow bars?

Update, ST going back into dealer next week, proved to them the parking brake auto set is not working.

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Not that my opinion matters but in your situation, I wouldn't be taking it in for the recall. The software update simply isn't addressing the concern many of us have. I'm worried about the darn thing breaking, not about it rolling away once it has broken.
True.

But if the recall is not performed, does that give them an excuse to void the warranty on other issues?

So, I had the ECM reflash (part#1) of the axle bolt facture recall done today and noticed nothing different with parking brake engagement??, power level/acceleration seems the same with my butt dyno but did notice the little cars (Easter Eggs) are missing from the Adaptive cruise follow bars?
As I expected, the recall flash does not effect engine output.

Reactions
Did a CAP Tour yesterday, they are only running afternoon shifts right now so when we were there in the day the line was stopped. Lots of STs on the line in various stages. I asked specifically if they were installing new bolts and they stated they were but there just wasn't enough for delivery to dealers for repairs to customer vehicles. If I had to guess I would estimate STs and Timberline's are the most frequently built right now, anecdotal based on what I saw.
were they building any PIUs? are they installing new bolts only? so they aren't using the original better subframe?

SDFlyer1

Reactions
But if the recall is not performed, does that give them an excuse to void the warranty on other issues?

Here in Canada land, if a manufacture recall is not performed, sometimes makes it tough to sell and transfer ownership privately because of the outstanding recall,
Ford might given a customer a hard time if the ignored the recall and they had an issue.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
were they building any PIUs? are they installing new bolts only? so they aren't using the original better subframe?
Yes there were many PIU's on the line in various stages. But mostly ST's and Timberlines. Lots of Aviators as well.....but that can change daily especially with only afternoon shift working. I joked about possibly being able to look at the bins of new bolts but nobody found it funny for some reason.

Reactions
Yes there were many PIU's on the line in various stages. But mostly ST's and Timberlines. Lots of Aviators as well.....but that can change daily especially with only afternoon shift working. I joked about possibly being able to look at the bins of new bolts but nobody found it funny for some reason.
So Is it a new bolt and new diff cover? You also stated that engineering said it is not the 3.0L versions breaking, So is it the 2.3L and Hybrid versions? I just find that confusing for some reason.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... I joked about possibly being able to look at the bins of new bolts but nobody found it funny for some reason.
We're anxiously awaiting your new thread in the "For Sale" section:
"Have unexpectedly come across a few pocketful's of FORD's new rear axle bolts ... pm if interested."