Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
So Is it a new bolt and new diff cover? You also stated that engineering said it is not the 3.0L versions breaking, So is it the 2.3L and Hybrid versions? I just find that confusing for some reason.
The specific engines affected are called out in the bulletin but when I was there someone asked specifically if the 3.0L was affected and the Engineer stated they have no data to support the 3.0L being affected. I saw 3.3L

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The specific engines affected are called out in the bulletin but when I was there someone asked specifically if the 3.0L was affected and the Engineer stated they have no data to support the 3.0L being affected. I saw 3.3L
Could he be only answering to the PIU's?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I don't get it ...

The 3.0L ST makes 400 hp/415 lb ft and has a 3.31 3.58 rear axle.
The 3.3L Hybrid makes 318 hp/322 lb ft and has a 3.58 rear axle.

So the lesser hp/torque combo has the problems, but not the higher hp/torque vehicle?
The only way this could be is if the Hybrid uses a different (i.e. "weaker") rear subrame set up than the ST.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I don't get it ...

The 3.0L ST makes 400 hp/415 lb ft and has a 3.31 rear axle.
The 3.3L Hybrid makes 318 hp/322 lb ft and has a 3.58 rear axle.

So the lesser hp/torque combo has the problems, but not the higher hp/torque vehicle?
The only way this could be is if the Hybrid uses a different (i.e. "weaker") rear subrame set up than the ST.
The ST 4WD has a 3.58 rear end.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The ST 4WD has a 3.58 rear end.
Got 'ya.

That further strengthens the premise I was making.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Could he be only answering to the PIU's?
Probably true since the 3.0 PIU still use the 4 bolt. I doubt Ford will ever acknowledge any fault connection to the ST change to 3 bolt.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... I doubt Ford will ever acknowledge any fault connection to the ST change to 3 bolt.
According to Sgt1411, 3.0L's aren't the problem ...

... someone asked specifically if the 3.0L was affected and the Engineer stated they have no data to support the 3.0L being affected. I saw 3.3L

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Ford Explorer Platinum Hybrid
It looks like the update was available for the vehicle I am getting (22 Explorer Platinum hybrid), so Monday we can get hopefully get the process rolling to get the vehicle to me. So hoping for some good news Monday. So I hope I don't get hit too hard for the transport to me. (Only 650 miles)

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I just repeated what the Engineer told the Police Advisory Board at a meeting on Monday.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I just repeated what the Engineer told the Police Advisory Board at a meeting on Monday.
That's what I understood to be the case.

bud1970

Reactions
Just finished the recall on my 900 mile '22 ST. Supposedly the service tech inspected the bolt and they did flash the Pcm. PCM reprogram applies the parking brake whenever the transmission is in park, or was in park, and stays on until the brake is applied and then the gas is applied. makes for a very weird sensation when starting out driving (makes a thud and feels like brake torqued) . Wife hates how it's implemented, wanted to have it flashed back to previous program. Don't feel like FORD will ever take responsibility for breakages. Time to buy a differential brace!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Perhaps it's easier for me since I park on an incline in my driveway and always use the e-brake to save the pawl. Just push the e-brake button off after putting it in reverse or drive. It's just muscle memory for me now and I push the auto-start off at the same time. Then it won't hesitate. But let's face it, it still releases automatically even if not instantaneously. Hope this helps.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
o
PIU 3.0L. the hybrid PIU prob has 3 bolt just like the regular hybrid. We already know 3.0L with 3 bolt are problematic because at least 4 Explorer ST members have reported the mount bolt snapping!

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
o

PIU 3.0L. the hybrid PIU prob has 3 bolt just like the regular hybrid. We already know 3.0L with 3 bolt are problematic because at least 4 Explorer ST members have reported the mount bolt snapping!
The poll only shows 1 so far. Are there some that did not respond to the poll?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'd be far more worried about the problem with the 7-6 downshift than I would be with the rear bolt failure. The idea that at a high speed the trans would lock up (attributed to a bad spring) is far more worrying.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... 4 Explorer ST members have reported the mount bolt snapping!
And 136 that reported no problems!

Even if there's 3 other members who claim to have broken a bolt, my bet is they didn't respond to the poll because they were modded/tuned/raced/who knows what.

See my reply above as to the likely reason why others who alleged a bolt failure did not respond.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Only a small fraction of this forum have responded to the poll.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Only a small fraction of this forum have responded to the poll.
Not if a only small fraction of forum members actually own the vehicles involved in the recall.

It's abundantly clear that the number of bolt shears is infinitesimally small, as supported by FORD's own data.

This poll is overestimating the number of breaks by a factor of 8 (.729 Poll data vs .092 FORD data).

For some reason, a number of people are refusing to face up to reality.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not if a only small fraction of forum members actually own the vehicles involved in the recall.
The poll does not say anything about being in the recall. Doesn't matter anyways. 137 respondents is way smaller than the number of Explorer ST forum members. Like I said, at least 4 members have posted that their single rear differential mount bolts broke. People aren't participating in the poll for whatever reason. Like any study with small sample size, you cannot draw any conclusion based on the results.