Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
For 2022 the rear floor console was replaced by a foldout cup holder in the back of the front console. People here generally have not liked that rear floor console as just something to trip on when getting to the third row seats. Rear cupholders.jpg

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
does anyone know if they are still building ST with the inferior rear end? are all cop cars now built with the proper part?
I don't know if FORD officially stopped the 2022 production line to change out the one bolt rears for the two's.

My '22 ST was made in January and has the one bolt.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I will just throw this out there...I can only guess that Ford will not be releasing a tune for this platform with the rear end problem. Just like one never came out for the Focus RS due to the head gasket problem?!
I was really looking forward to a official Ford tune so the warranty would not be in jeopardy.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
For 2022 the rear floor console was replaced by a foldout cup holder in the back of the front console. People here generally have not liked that rear floor console as just something to trip on when getting to the third row seats. View attachment 12195
Okay, today I learned something. I never knew that fold out cup holder was there.(y)

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I will just throw this out there...I can only guess that Ford will not be releasing a tune for this platform with the rear end problem. Just like one never came out for the Focus RS due to the head gasket problem?!
I was really looking forward to a official Ford tune so the warranty would not be in jeopardy.
Yup, a FORD backed warranty tune would've interested me a lot. But I don't see it happening now either.

cmcwhorter42

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I had a message last night that my car was ready to pick up. To bring you up to speed. I purchased a new '22 on April 23 and actually drove it home. Hooked up my Fordpass app and that's when I discovered the recall that was dated on the 19th. I called the dealer the next day(4/24/22), and they didn't have a clue about it. Drove it for a week and received a call from said dealer telling me to bring it back and they would give me a loaner. I dropped it off last Tuesday(5/3/22) and they gave me a brand new ST-Line with 26 miles to drive. At the time they said they had no idea how long it would be. The message said the warranty is complete, so I would assume the software has been updated. I will find out at lunch today, but not sure how much info they will give me or actually know, but I will update when I get it. I wonder if there is a portion of that software that tames the power. FYI, my build was in March '22 and has the single bolt.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I had a message last night that my car was ready to pick up. To bring you up to speed. I purchased a new '22 on April 23 and actually drove it home. Hooked up my Fordpass app and that's when I discovered the recall that was dated on the 19th. I called the dealer the next day(4/24/22), and they didn't have a clue about it. Drove it for a week and received a call from said dealer telling me to bring it back and they would give me a loaner. I dropped it off last Tuesday(5/3/22) and they gave me a brand new ST-Line with 26 miles to drive. At the time they said they had no idea how long it would be. The message said the warranty is complete, so I would assume the software has been updated. I will find out at lunch today, but not sure how much info they will give me or actually know, but I will update when I get it. I wonder if there is a portion of that software that tames the power. FYI, my build was in March '22 and has the single bolt.
Very interested to get your report on how car "feels" after the update.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... I wonder if there is a portion of that software that tames the power. FYI, my build was in March '22 and has the single bolt.
It better not feel any different!

That would violate their official documented retail "fix" of only an e-brake adjustment.

Untitled22.jpg

FordMatt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
There seems to be a misconception regarding the requirements to meet safety standards as regulated by the NHTSA and the failure of the differential/subframe bolt.

The NHTSA only concern is about what can happen AFTER the occurrence of a differential bolt failure.
The NHTSA's concern with Ford is: The vehicle may roll even when placed in park.
The NHTSA does NOT take concern with the failure rate of the differential mounting bolt, how many mounting bolts are present, the load rating of the equipment used, or the design of the subframe/bushings.

Ford's solution to the SAFETY concern is to update the PCM to allow for automatic EPB engagement in park. This prevents the vehicle from rolling when in park. This remedies the NHTSA's concern with the event that can occur following a bolt failure.
Ford's solution to the FAILURE EVENT is addressed with the SSM and provides dealerships with repair direction. This remedies the failure of the bolt in affected vehicles.

This recall, and its solution of a software update, has no affect on vehicle performance.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There seems to be a misconception regarding the requirements to meet safety standards as regulated by the NHTSA and the failure of the differential/subframe bolt.

The NHTSA only concern is about what can happen AFTER the occurrence of a differential bolt failure.
The NHTSA's concern with Ford is: The vehicle may roll even when placed in park.
The NHTSA does NOT take concern with the failure rate of the differential mounting bolt, how many mounting bolts are present, the load rating of the equipment used, or the design of the subframe/bushings.

Ford's solution to the SAFETY concern is to update the PCM to allow for automatic EPB engagement in park. This prevents the vehicle from rolling when in park. This remedies the NHTSA's concern with the event that can occur following a bolt failure.
Ford's solution to the FAILURE EVENT is addressed with the SSM and provides dealerships with repair direction. This remedies the failure of the bolt in affected vehicles.

This recall, and its solution of a software update, has no affect on vehicle performance.
Very well put!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Same here and had the same thought. Ford Performance sounded like the tune was going to happen when the ST first came out until the subframe changed over to the one bolt arrangement on the ST’s. Then crickets. Given that the Bronco Raptor has a performance tune to gain more out of the 3.0L engine, my guess is ST owners would have had a similar tuning option available if the two bolt subframe was still being installed. Given that a significant percentage of the ST population are running the one bolt subframe, Ford doesn’t want to create a have and have not eco structure.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Agreed but that’s the 310-hp 2.7-liter twin-turbo V6 Ecoboost engine that is unique to the Bronco. The verdict is still out on the 3.0L with tune that comes in the Bronco Raptor. Time will tell if it has similar issues but given the number or people on this forum running tuned 3.0L ST’s, I’m going to guess that the engine in that case isn’t going to be an issue.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
And the number of affected Bronco engines is still not yet known.

cmcwhorter42

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Just drove back from picking up the car with the new PCM calibration. It does engage the parking brake every time I put it in park now. Although I have no way to back up my observation, I think they changed the tuning as well. Doesn't feel like the same responsiveness, kind of like the ST-line they gave me to drive while this was being "fixed".(a slight exaggeration) When I asked about the fix for the hardware problem, because they only dealt with the software, they had no idea. They agreed that in order to get it fixed now, the right way, I have to have a damaged bolt. I will really be able to test it out on the drive home later, because I can better compare on a route I use everyday.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Someone will have to dyno before and after. I do not trust Corporate Ford at all.

Reactions
Completely agree! Some of us think they did this due to part availability and/or penny pinching. Either way, not a good look for Ford IMO. This crossmember is taking up way to much space in my garage. I need to get off the pot and either do it or pay Ford to do it which pains me.
Will changing your rear subframe from the one bolt that was installed on the vehicle to the two bolt rear subframe that wasn't going to affect the vehicle's overall warranty? For installing a part that wasn't on the vehicle at build with another part substituted?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Will changing your rear subframe from the one bolt that was installed on the vehicle to the two bolt rear subframe that wasn't going to affect the vehicle's overall warranty? For installing a part that wasn't on the vehicle at build with another part substituted?
My dealer told me no. In his mind you are installing a superior Ford product. Kind of like my argument for the inter-cooler.

Reactions
If Explorer ST owners in the United States and Canada worked towards creating a unified voice (if possible) expressing our discontent as a whole to Ford with respect to the performance model of the Explorer, the ST. It is being manufactured with an inferior rear subframe, when a superior rear subframe already exists and is presently being installed on the Lincoln Aviator. The Lincoln Aviator, while it shares the 3.0L motor, it does not have the performance characteristics of the ST. So why won't Ford do what's right, using a beefier subframe assembly on their performance model rather than a detuned luxury model.

Ryan613

Reactions
@cmcwhorter42 Your comment is very interesting. I have a 2020 Model with two bolts and I shouldn’t be part of the recall nor have I received and notifications. However, a few weeks back I took the vehicle into the dealership to have the Summer tires installed and an oil change. When I immediately left the dealership, I noticed that the FENG wasn’t present. I do have the Borla S-type installed so obviously I can hear that but, definitely not hearing the sound pumped in through the speakers like before. I will say I that I do hear slight sounds from time to time that I think is the FENG but nowhere on the level previously. Truth be told, I don’t mind having the FENG disabled because it’s a little much which the exhaust. I thought to myself, perhaps the technician decided to disable the FENG because of the exhaust but why would they bother unless I requested it? Either way I don’t mind not having it but thought it was strange.

Regarding your comment on changing the tuning…the last few weeks of driving the vehicle just seems to be lacking in response like you said. Normal mode especially like its hunting for gears. Sport mode still gives but just doesn’t feel the same.
Also to note, the parking break does not automatically engage. I hope I’m just be paranoid but after reading your comment I had to mention. It just seems odd that FENG, for the most part is gone and the performance seems to lacking.

Dealership never mentioned the recall and neither did I because It shouldn’t affect my vehicle but would they have any reason to update the software regardless? E -break does not automatically engage and I have not read about any de-tuning required as FordMatt mentioned early.
Just putting my recent experience out there.