Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

NEW Product Alert! The AWR Racing rear diff mount

Reactions
NEW Product Alert! Introducing the AWR Racing rear diff mount for the 2020+ Explorer ST
AWR has done it again with unmatched design and build quality in this mount.
The AWR diff mount is available now for pre-order at whoosh motorsports at the introductory low price with FREE SHIPPING in the continental USA.
complete product details, installation, and additional pictures are live on the site : https://whooshmotorsports.com/.../awr-racing-rear-diff...

awr complete kit.PNG awr diff mount red smaller.PNG awr explorer diff mount red 1.jpg

Reactions
NEW Product Alert! Introducing the AWR Racing rear diff mount for the 2020+ Explorer ST
AWR has done it again with unmatched design and build quality in this mount.
The AWR diff mount is available now for pre-order at whoosh motorsports at the introductory low price with FREE SHIPPING in the continental USA.
complete product details, installation, and additional pictures are live on the site : https://whooshmotorsports.com/.../awr-racing-rear-diff...

View attachment 11402 View attachment 11403 View attachment 11404
And I just bought the Fenfab stiffy diffy...
How much better is this?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I've got a Diffy Stiffy not installed yet. But I also have a subframe on order. I'd say this one definitely looks beefier than the Fenfab. It also doesn't look like it has slots on the diff plate. I worry the slots in the diffy stiffy could allow movement under duress. If I were choosing one today instead of a subframe I think it would be this one.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I've made my opinions on the Diffy Stiffy well known on this forum. https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...oom-from-emergency-auto-brake.2148/post-36529

This is a definite step up and yet...
Read the post as to why I find the concept at fault, and then look at this design- BTW, I'm seeing just these pics, so perhaps I'm missing something, but ask yourself these questions. Is it truly limiting z-plane travel? Will a single bolt in the differential cover that's offset to the force be enough? Why Is the rotating motion of the differential in the same plane as the rotation of the 'isolator'? When I look at this design, I see something that would be very good at busting the diff casing around the single bolt during wheel hop.

Last edited:
OP
ron@whooshmotorsports
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
How much better is this?
I can't really say to be honest
The AWR option does not require drilling , it's a direct bolt on
We've also have had test units installed on a few customer ST's that drag race every weekend
It's always great to have options (y)
We've been working with AWR Racing out of California since 2006, their mounts are highly regarded on many platforms. We have a few more parts to release with AWR for the Explorer so stay tuned!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I've made my opinions on the Diffy Stiffy well known on this forum. https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...oom-from-emergency-auto-brake.2148/post-36529

Read the post as to why I find the concept at fault, and then look at this design- BTW, I'm seeing just these pics, so perhaps I'm missing something, but ask yourself these questions. Is it truly limiting z-plane travel? Will a single bolt in the differential cover that's offset to the force be enough? Why Is the rotating motion of the differential in the same plane as the rotation of the 'isolator'? When I look at this design, I see something that would be very good at busting the diff casing around the single bolt during wheel hop.
That's my one fear about both products. They are depending on cover bolts and aluminum structure around them that were not likely designed for the stresses that the bolts on top of the diff were designed for. Again though just makes me question why the heck they dropped one of the bolts for the performance model. And also the reason I am forking over to make it correct....at least in my mind :)

OP
ron@whooshmotorsports
Reactions
Thread Starter #7

there are 2 diff bolts holding the mount in place

Reactions
How much better is this?
I'm one of the guys that have been testing this AWR brace.

4 weeks of testing at the drag strip prior to public release. 2 test n tune days and 2 legitimate index drag races.

ZFG 93 octane tuned. Whipple intercooled. At least 20 passes down the strip, and uncounted passes in "Mexico" in between. Hard brake boost launching, WOT. No issues.

I doubt you'll see anyone say definitively that one or the other is "better". They both aid in supporting the differential and this brace just gives us, the end users...options.

I'll tell you what sold me on it. Simply put, AWR specializes in engine and chassis mount/support items, meaning they're experts in the field of finding and implementing solutions for these critical type areas. Brett and Fenfab are AMAZING in their own right, and that is unquestionable and undisputed. I have several Fenfab products installed (I even have a diffy stiffy in my garage) on my ST as well and this post should not serve as a negative connotation toward Brett or Fenfab.

I say all of this while NOT being an expert in vehicle dynamics or engineering. I'm just a daily driver and end user. It's up to us as individuals to find solutions that we feel work best for us and our intended use.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White
what socket/size are those diff bolts? just external torx?

Reactions
what socket/size are those diff bolts? just external torx?
Yes Etorx. It's either E16 or E18, I cannot remember exactly but, I can get you the right answer when I get home from work and check it.

Reactions
Yes Etorx. It's either E16 or E18, I cannot remember exactly but, I can get you the right answer when I get home from work and check it.
Inverted E18 is the correct size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
there are 2 diff bolts holding the mount in place
My initial thoughts on seeing this mount was that it was a huge step in the right direction, but with a single differential mounting point (bolt) where the line of force would be directed towards the thin side of the differential casting, it looked suspect. I looked at all the pictures on your site Ron and couldn't see where the second differential mounting bolt is located. That being said, if it's on the differential on the RH side placed inline with the diff casting in the line of force (thicker up-down), then I'd say this mount looks like money well spent and certainly cheaper than buying the subframe.

Reactions
I've got a Diffy Stiffy not installed yet. But I also have a subframe on order. I'd say this one definitely looks beefier than the Fenfab. It also doesn't look like it has slots on the diff plate. I worry the slots in the diffy stiffy could allow movement under duress. If I were choosing one today instead of a subframe I think it would be this one.
If you don't mind me asking, What did the subframe run ya?

OP
ron@whooshmotorsports
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
My initial thoughts on seeing this mount was that it was a huge step in the right direction, but with a single differential mounting point (bolt) where the line of force would be directed towards the thin side of the differential casting, it looked suspect. I looked at all the pictures on your site Ron and couldn't see where the second differential mounting bolt is located. That being said, if it's on the differential on the RH side placed inline with the diff casting in the line of force (thicker up-down), then I'd say this mount looks like money well spent and certainly cheaper than buying the subframe.
here's a pic of the diff plate from another angle
awr.PNG explorer st other angle AWR mount 2nf mount point.jpg

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you don't mind me asking, What did the subframe run ya?
$1400 delivered. Supposedly on it's way. Need to source the bolt and there may be an insulator in there. Assuming I can get those from my local dealer without getting too ripped off.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum

Attachments

Last edited: