Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Recall Rear Bolt Fracture?

88lx50

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
My 2005 Pathfinder with all its 260 horsepower has 4 bolts holding the rear. All Explorers should have the extra bolt. Ford probably saved 5 bucks per vehicle eliminating the sleeve in the subframe and the bushing. Pathetic.

sanc1384

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
2020 here. I went to the stealership and service looked up my VIN and told me the bolt problem doesn't apply to my SUV. In fact, the only recalls that show up for this one are the cameras. He then told me that Ford can't fix those because they no longer make the parts! :-o
I then asked him if he could show me how to obtain the factory door code so I can user program the lock. He said the only way was to give them the ST and it would take them an hour on diagnostics and would cost me $170!
Don't these freakin' corporates make enough money without having to bend me over a table for a feature that "comes with the vehicle?"

Wait a minute, I'm on a roll ...
The stealership I bought the ST from ordered the registration plates. When I got them, the sticker for the plate says it expires in Sept but the registration says October. I went to the MVA to get an updated sticker. They want $5 for a 1" square sticker! Now I have to go back to the stealership and have them remedy the mistake.

Sorry I went off a bit on the bolt thread.

Guess I'll have to look at the diff to see if I'm a 1/3 or 2/4 bolt pattern.
If just a 1/3, is that Steeda brace the remedy?
2020 here as well. Found my door code this way. Wasnt too bad to do either.:

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
2020 here as well. Found my door code this way. Wasnt too bad to do either.:

Thank you sanc1384! Much easier than Ford leads you to believe! Just another attempt to get in your pocket for $170. Shame on them!

sanc1384

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thank you sanc1384! Much easier than Ford leads you to believe! Just another attempt to get in your pocket for $170. Shame on them!
No problem. Much like you I didnt want to pay dealer fees or deal with the BS of them needing hours to do something that took me a few minutes. I avoid dealers whenever possible lol

Reactions
I received an email from my dealership with a carfax report on my vehicle. WTH are they actually running a carfax to show a recall is incomplete. Do they think this will diminish the value? There is no remedy!
1697121140805.png

Attachments

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I received an email from my dealership with a carfax report on my vehicle. WTH are they actually running a carfax to show a recall is incomplete. Do they think this will diminish the value? There is no remedy!
View attachment 19984
Car Fax has been doing that for years. Nothing new.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
No problem. Much like you I didnt want to pay dealer fees or deal with the BS of them needing hours to do something that took me a few minutes. I avoid dealers whenever possible lol
I'm quickly learning how to avoid them but sometimes it's inevitable. Warranties and recalls come to mind.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I ran my vin and see the rear axle bolt fracture recall. I’m hoping they will eventually replace the subframe. Anyone have any insight from Ford on this recall?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I ran my vin and see the rear axle bolt fracture recall. I’m hoping they will eventually replace the subframe. Anyone have any insight from Ford on this recall?
I wouldn’t hold my breath on a subframe unfortunately. They will likely give you a new bolt and program the parking break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Don't know if the precious owner addressed the recall or if this ST wasn't a recall candidate but it turns out it's a 2/4.
It also seems that what looks like the rear sway bar had been replaced. Anyone recognize it?

Attachments

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Don't know if the precious owner addressed the recall or if this ST wasn't a recall candidate but it turns out it's a 2/4.
It also seems that what looks like the rear sway bar had been replaced. Anyone recognize it?
The sway bar has a Ford parts tag on it. Guessing it's the factory one.
My 2020 ST didn't get this recall and I've owned it since new. So I doubt yours was subject to this recall.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The sway bar has a Ford parts tag on it. Guessing it's the factory one.
My 2020 ST didn't get this recall and I've owned it since new. So I doubt yours was subject to this recall.
That's what I was thinking. Stone17 posted a pic on this page that shows what looks to be the bottom of his parts tag. The QR code looks a little different though.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
A
All 2020's had the 4 bolts. That is your original sway bar, mine is the same that I bought brand new. You do have some rust underneath that you should take care of before it gets any worse.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
A
All 2020's had the 4 bolts. That is your original sway bar, mine is the same that I bought brand new. You do have some rust underneath that you should take care of before it gets any worse.
Yes, that was my first look underneath. It will get addressed as soon as I get some time off.
It surprised me in seeing that on a vehicle only 3 years old!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
A
Curiously, I opened the QR code on the sway bar and it turns out, this is a Lincoln Aviator rear stabilizer bar.

SeanColin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have to say, this is my first Ford and it's going to be my last. Of all the cars I've had I've never had one with this many recalls or issues and for a car at this price point, it's inexcusable.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have to say, this is my first Ford and it's going to be my last. Of all the cars I've had I've never had one with this many recalls or issues and for a car at this price point, it's inexcusable.
Ford is not alone. Not excusing ford one bit but if you think this doesn’t happen to all other manufacturers, you’re sorely mistaken. No matter your anecdotal experience, recalls are everywhere.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I’m curious to see if Ford has a different durometer bushing for the replacement. Assuming something a little harder may help. Realistically, the subframe should get replaced or at least add the 2nd bushing and bolt to the existing subframe.