Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Recall Rear Bolt Fracture?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I’m curious to see if Ford has a different durometer bushing for the replacement. Assuming something a little harder may help. Realistically, the subframe should get replaced or at least add the 2nd bushing and bolt to the existing subframe.
How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component :
The remedy bushing (part number L1MW-4B425-BB) has been modified
to increase the fastener engagement length in order to avoid material
deformation.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V675-3320.PDF

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m curious to see if Ford has a different durometer bushing for the replacement. Assuming something a little harder may help. Realistically, the subframe should get replaced or at least add the 2nd bushing and bolt to the existing subframe.
It says the bushing will be modified. But what that means remains to be seen.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Why aren’t single bolt ‘23’s not recalled?!

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Maybe the have the new bushing and bolt? Or maybe they are being recalled? Time will tell once the owners start to be notified.

SeanColin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Ford is not alone. Not excusing ford one bit but if you think this doesn’t happen to all other manufacturers, you’re sorely mistaken. No matter your anecdotal experience, recalls are everywhere.
Yes, other manufacturers have recalls but with this frequency? On one model? I seriously doubt it. I've had this truck for over a year now and I'm about to be hit by my 4th, maybe 5th recall, that's insane. I'm also new to Ford, is this a normal Ford thing? I had 2 Volvos for 10 and 12 years, I can remember 2 recalls, my wife has had a Porsche for 10 years, also 2 recalls, Subaru, no recalls and I could go on. Now there's a possible issue with the driveshaft, it's really frustrating after spending so much money on what you thought was a well-engineered product.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
It'll be interesting to see which build dates end up covered by this new recall. They may have switched over to the new bushing and new bolt sometime last year around the time of the first recall about this issue.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yes, other manufacturers have recalls but with this frequency? On one model? I seriously doubt it. I've had this truck for over a year now and I'm about to be hit by my 4th, maybe 5th recall, that's insane. I'm also new to Ford, is this a normal Ford thing? I had 2 Volvos for 10 and 12 years, I can remember 2 recalls, my wife has had a Porsche for 10 years, also 2 recalls, Subaru, no recalls and I could go on. Now there's a possible issue with the driveshaft, it's really frustrating after spending so much money on what you thought was a well-engineered product.
Yeah they exist. Not saying that ford, and especially the explorer don’t have their issues, but there’s issues everywhere. https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a43625242/tesla-is-the-most-recalled-car-brand/

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
SERVICE ACTION
DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers the end of 2nd Quarter, 2024, when it is anticipated that parts ordering information, additional parts inventory and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall. For new vehicle storage guidelines, refer to EFC13033, Storage Guidelines for New Vehicles.
NOTE: Many of these vehicles are affected by Customer Satisfaction Program 22N06. The repair instructions for 22N06 should be followed if a rear axle bolt fractures before this program (23S55) launches. FSA 22N06 will remain active until this program launches with a complete dealer bulletin.

So parts and service not available until next summer, although police vehicles have been receiving those parts since the first recall. Also, possibly 2023's have them?

23S55 – Rear Axle Bolt Fractures – 2020-2022 Ford Explorer – OEMDTC

SeanColin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yeah they exist. Not saying that ford, and especially the explorer don’t have their issues, but there’s issues everywhere. https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a43625242/tesla-is-the-most-recalled-car-brand/
Sorry, but that's a total clickbait projection. There's a 0% chance they can accurately predict the number of recalls over the next 5 years, forget about 30. It basically says that production methods and materials won't change in the next 30 years and companies won't improve. The only surprise on that list to me is Porsche because that has not been my experience at all, another reason I can't take it seriously. I understand what you're saying though, everyone has recalls. Ford and especially the Explorer has way too many than I'm used to from other manufacturers.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I still have my 2005 and 2007 Explorer Limited's I ordered new. I don't remember ever receiving any recalls for either of them. They have been very reliable. Everything always works as it should. So far after two years I have not had any problems with my 2022 ST. Only had it to the dealer one time for just regular maintenance.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Previous to this Explorer, I had a 2005 and 2012 Escapes and rarely had problems between the two of them and drove each 240,000mi. I haven't had this Explorer long enough to comment but my experience with Ford is they're always yanking your chain for overcharge and lie to you to discourage you from simple DIY tasks. They want your vehicle for days for simple repairs and claim they have no loaner cars. Just yet another expense they lay on you.

I really like this ST and hope it lasts without serious issue, not only because of its cost but so I don't have to deal with Ford's so called customer service. This forum is a breath of fresh air next to that!

Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
Purchased an AWR brace but thinking about it can you install a sleave and bolt like the drivers side into the missing bolt hole they are in the 4 bolt version the threads are there all should line up am I missing something seems too easy.

88lx50

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Purchased an AWR brace but thinking about it can you install a sleave and bolt like the drivers side into the missing bolt hole they are in the 4 bolt version the threads are there all should line up am I missing something seems too easy.
I think the subframe would have to at least be lowered and the sleeve welded in.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m guessing a rigid connection without an isolator would be a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88lx50

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I’m guessing a rigid connection without an isolator would be a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The suspension has to flex a bit. Plus it would increase nvh.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I saw this and thought, sweet! I no longer have to worry about that rear bolt SNAPPING!!!! But looked up NHTSA and for my late 22 ST (took delivery on Oct 23, 2022 with 8miles **insert Eminem here**) and it has nothing. Just the original 360 cam that still has NO fix for.

This is the wife's vehicle and I have a '16 Vette and '05 GTO. Although this ST is a FUN vehicle to drive and love it.
aFe CAI, intercooler, BLACK ST badges for going to the performance event with the purchase of the truck (NC at the Biltmore Estate was absolutely breathtaking and the 3 hour drive through the blue ridge mountains was equally amazing), small things like the glove box light, Vantrue N4PRO dashcam (4k front, 1440p rear, 1080k interior) permanent install, rear diff brace mount, aFe strut tower brace (really stiffened up around cornering), tuned with HP Tuners, Forscan settings, Black lugs (Why they are not part of the Black out Package is insane) and many more little nic-nac items my wife has done to her speed demon .

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The suspension has to flex a bit. Plus it would increase nvh.
The same axel and assembly is on the Lincoln Aviator, the hybrid version. They have the second bolt tapped and utilized. In the explorer subframe, they didn't add the crush sleeve and drill the second hole. :(. I Believe the ST and Interceptor models should have gotten it. A few here have replaced with the Lincoln subframe and use the second mount as part of the dealer replacement.

Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
I think the subframe would have to at least be lowered and the sleeve welded in.
True but could be done if you want a stock 2 bolt setup. then again a lot of work think I'll just install the AWR piece it looks like its highly recommended. Thanks for the insight

88lx50

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
True but could be done if you want a stock 2 bolt setup. then again a lot of work think I'll just install the AWR piece it looks like its highly recommended. Thanks for the insight
I like the Steeda brace. It grabs more bolts from the center section to spread the load around and also uses 2 bushings. I think I am going with that one.
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-8...MI2Iavi5H9gQMV1iGzAB1UtwQIEAQYASABEgKnrvD_BwE

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I saw this and thought, sweet! I no longer have to worry about that rear bolt SNAPPING!!!! But looked up NHTSA and for my late 22 ST (took delivery on Oct 23, 2022 with 8miles **insert Eminem here**) and it has nothing. Just the original 360 cam that still has NO fix for.

This is the wife's vehicle and I have a '16 Vette and '05 GTO. Although this ST is a FUN vehicle to drive and love it.
aFe CAI, intercooler, BLACK ST badges for going to the performance event with the purchase of the truck (NC at the Biltmore Estate was absolutely breathtaking and the 3 hour drive through the blue ridge mountains was equally amazing), small things like the glove box light, Vantrue N4PRO dashcam (4k front, 1440p rear, 1080k interior) permanent install, rear diff brace mount, aFe strut tower brace (really stiffened up around cornering), tuned with HP Tuners, Forscan settings, Black lugs (Why they are not part of the Black out Package is insane) and many more little nic-nac items my wife has done to her speed demon .
I also have an 2005 GTO and a 1968 GTO. Your right the ST is fun to drive.