Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Recall Rear Bolt Fracture?

SeaRay

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer AWD Limited Hybrid
Recalls *
Campaign/NHTSA#
23S55/AWAITING#
Issue Date
2023-10-09
Description
Rear axle bolt fractures
Safety Risk
In process
Remedy
In process
Next Steps
Contact your local dealer and schedule a maintenance appointment. To find your local dealer, use the "find a dealer" feature below.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Do you have a copy of this. I did a search and came up with nothing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Do you have a copy of this. I did a search and came up with nothing.
Searching for the VIN at nhtsa.gov, you’ll find this…

IMG_4348.png

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Wow. Talk about hot off the presses! Fingers crossed for a proper fix this time.

okayestwhitebelt

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Ran mine got nothing. little relieved little scared... Just took delivery of mine on Saturday after doing the paperwork on it back in may!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
This feel like August 30, 2022 again. Maybe another parking brake software update.

1696936827442.png

88lx50

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
For some reason 2023 not included.

Lawdog205

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Sorry for my ignorance in this topic, its a lot to digest. 1 bolt , 2 bolt and 4 bolt. Please educate me as to what 4 bolt refers to. My rear diff has 1 bolt to the rear frame. Its a 2023.. just picked up in Sept.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Sorry for my ignorance in this topic, its a lot to digest. 1 bolt , 2 bolt and 4 bolt. Please educate me as to what 4 bolt refers to. My rear diff has 1 bolt to the rear frame. Its a 2023.. just picked up in Sept.
This is a 3 bolt rear end. 2 Bolts front diff and 1 bolt on the rear.
In the picture you can see where the other bolt can go in.

Attachments

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
When people talk about a 1 bolt rear end there are really 3 bolts. When they speak of a 2 bolt it really has 4 bolts. There are always 2 bolts underneath that aren't visible from behind. So 2 plus either the 1 or the 2 gives you the 3 or 4 frequently mentioned. 1 and 3 are talking about the same rear end and 2 and 4 are talking about the same rear end.

Lawdog205

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Much appreciated… thanks for the correct info. Mine is a 1/3. Purchased 9/18..build was August if not mistaken.

Will be ordering the Steeda brace..

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Just ran my VIN and see I’m subject to this. No remedy available though lol. Curious what this will be. Mine is a 2022 with single bolt.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
22 sept build 3 bolt, nothing for me yet. Came with parking break update from factory.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
2020 here. I went to the stealership and service looked up my VIN and told me the bolt problem doesn't apply to my SUV. In fact, the only recalls that show up for this one are the cameras. He then told me that Ford can't fix those because they no longer make the parts! :-o
I then asked him if he could show me how to obtain the factory door code so I can user program the lock. He said the only way was to give them the ST and it would take them an hour on diagnostics and would cost me $170!
Don't these freakin' corporates make enough money without having to bend me over a table for a feature that "comes with the vehicle?"

Wait a minute, I'm on a roll ...
The stealership I bought the ST from ordered the registration plates. When I got them, the sticker for the plate says it expires in Sept but the registration says October. I went to the MVA to get an updated sticker. They want $5 for a 1" square sticker! Now I have to go back to the stealership and have them remedy the mistake.

Sorry I went off a bit on the bolt thread.

Guess I'll have to look at the diff to see if I'm a 1/3 or 2/4 bolt pattern.
If just a 1/3, is that Steeda brace the remedy?

a12548

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer
So wait, I had the software upgrade last year...and my VIN shows new recall for the rear bolt...does that mean they are replacing the bolt casing or....what??

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I slapped an AWR brace on mine when I got my car a year ago due to all the concern with these vehicle’s rear differential/axle connections and previous recalls I heard of. I’m presuming it addresses the problem. Not sure why car manufacturers don’t automatically include rear diff braces honestly unless it all comes down to the extra cost which is the likely scenario. Still not sure why Ford doesn’t create their own diff brace to remedy a persistent and dangerous recall for a car that keeps getting recalled for something so stupid that only an incompetent manufacturer could produce.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I slapped an AWR brace on mine when I got my car a year ago due to all the concern with these vehicle’s rear differential/axle connections and previous recalls I heard of. I’m presuming it addresses the problem. Not sure why car manufacturers don’t automatically include rear diff braces honestly unless it all comes down to the extra cost which is the likely scenario. Still not sure why Ford doesn’t create their own diff brace to remedy a persistent and dangerous recall for a car that keeps getting recalled for something so stupid that only an incompetent manufacturer could produce.
I'm not sure of "any" of these companies except for the fact that they're always gunning for your pocket. It's one thing when you have to deal with planned obsolescence but when they cut corners so badly it creates unsafe conditions, it makes you see that all priorities go out the window in the name of money!

Explorer ST Posts