Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Racing Brake is in the game.

Reactions
I got my ST in Sept 2019. It was the dealer's first shipment of the new Explorers. It did not have the sport brakes, but I'm not a fan of black wheels anyway, and I figured somebody would come out with a big brake kit. A year and a half later, it looks like we're almost there. I've installed the Steeda springs and swaybar and the Whipple IC and a few other things, but I'm really looking forward to upgraded brakes. Warren-RB tells me that if I want to use the rear kit they're developing, I will need to get the sport brake rear calipers. If anybody knows of a good source for those, I would appreciate it.

Reactions
For those who are interested in retrofitting the front to Jeep SRT8 (WK2) 6 pot calipers:

The SRT8 WK2 caliper kit (w/380mm rotor) was up on the test bench and everything fit as expected. (Note this hat was used for simulated test only)

Please click the item line for more information.

Weight comparison (between ST sports brake and WK2 retrofit kit)

Reactions
Thank you.

For the rear BBK, in order to retain the e-parking brake, the BBK requires a longer bracket with an estimated rotor size of 390mm. This would be the same rear BBK we offer for Tesla M3 rear BBK (390x28).

Please take a look at this kit and let us know if this is something you and other Explorer owners are interested.

To match the rear BBK with 390mm, we propose to increase the front brake kit rotor size to 400x34mm (=Trackhawk) - If this bundle kit is what other Explorers' owners are interested we can make the kit avaialable

This 400/390 rotor set up can provide you not only the braking power you need in any driving condition; but also provides you a muscular look inside OE's big wheels - In fact it would be better (more balanced) than Trackhawk's 400/350 OE set up.

Discussion in Trackhawk forum:​

Note: Trackhawk has a rear drum brake so the proposed kit is a complete 4-pot caliper kit while Explorer's rear rotor has no drum brake but the caliper (retained) also function as parking brake.
Warren, you are a sight for sore eyes. Sorry in advance if I misunderstood what you’ve already mentioned, but can you clarify the rear setup that would retain the EPB functionality? Are you suggesting to keep the existing OEM caliper or replacing it with another caliper setup that has an integrated EPB? Or, perhaps, a rear caliper setup that has a separate EPB caliper mounted separately?

I for one am very very interested in a larger setup with more pistons from RB. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Car mfgrs and Brembo collaborate and play tricks so to avoid easy swap between makes and models. However we have a large database and the physical collection on OE calipers (some 220) and spindles (some 240) with dimension & feature measured and digitized which allowed us to scan through our database and spot any possible retrofit with least or no modification.

RB brake kits are designed with confidence (no try and error) from the resource and knowledge accumulated over the decades, so our turn around is quick.

OE Spindles:

OE Calipers

Test Bench: (Shown is Explorer Sport front)

Have I answered to your question?
I was sold when I saw your spindle collection.

Reactions
Warren, you are a sight for sore eyes. Sorry in advance if I misunderstood what you’ve already mentioned, but can you clarify the rear setup that would retain the EPB functionality? Are you suggesting to keep the existing OEM caliper or replacing it with another caliper setup that has an integrated EPB? Or, perhaps, a rear caliper setup that has a separate EPB caliper mounted separately?

I for one am very very interested in a larger setup with more pistons from RB. Thanks in advance.

We will be making a longer bracket for accommodating a larger rotor while OE caliper w/EPB* and brake pads are retained.

This is the most cost effective rear BBK upgrade, retaining OE integrity with easy installation - 100% bolt-on and no need to bleed the system.

*In order to retain OE ePB functionality we are not able to offer a fixed-piston caliper kit.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #26
We will be making a longer bracket for accommodating a larger rotor while OE caliper w/EPB* and brake pads are retained.

This is the most cost effective rear BBK upgrade, retaining OE integrity with easy installation - 100% bolt-on and no need to bleed the system.

*In order to retain OE ePB functionality we are not able to offer a fixed-piston caliper kit.
I was looking on the site yesterday to check out options. If someone went with a larger rear rotor and retained the oem rear caliper what front upgrade would work with that the best?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Sorry for being thick... does this mean the same thing as "fixed caliper", i.e., there is no way to run a 4-piston monoblock caliper on the rear? So we are stuck with our O.E. "floating piston" style rear calipers? I'm not sure I've ever hear the term fixed-piston but I'm also nowhere near an expert on this. The Trackhawk uses an ePB... did I miss where and how a conversion for those calipers wasn't possible?

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #28
Sorry for being thick... does this mean the same thing as "fixed caliper", i.e., there is no way to run a 4-piston monoblock caliper on the rear? So we are stuck with our O.E. "floating piston" style rear calipers? I'm not sure I've ever hear the term fixed-piston but I'm also nowhere near an expert on this. The Trackhawk uses an ePB... did I miss where and how a conversion for those calipers wasn't possible?
Could be incompatibility between the systems.

Reactions
I am no expert either but I think I can help explain and share what I’ve learned so far from my other conversations. Someone correct me if I’m wrong please.

Current ePB is integrated into the OEM caliper. To upgrade the caliper to aftermarket 4pot and keep ePB capabilities, a company would need to create a compatible 4pot caliper with an integrated ePB that mounts using the same mounting points or uses a bracket - and uses a compatible electronic interface (I’m not sure if they’re standardized). The only one I’ve seen to date is Rotora. That’s why [mention]Warren-RB [/mention] is saying the most cost effective way is to stay with existing caliper and just upgrade the rotor. And he’s right.

Alternatively, with the right cash, risk and patience, one could mount a 4pot caliper (w/o ePB) AND a separate ePB specific caliper in tandem - like below.

However.....This requires an electronic interface for the ePB caliper to talk to the oem computer. One such thing does exist over at Wilwood. I’ve spoken to them and a custom shop they’ve referred me to. This Wilwood rear kit (I’ve been told) will fit the Explorer rear with an appropriately created bracket and MIGHT be able to interface with the OEM ePB controller. The only way to know compatibility for certain would be to spend a lot of cash to be a guinea pig. Plus the guy I was talking with wanted me to buy front and rear spindles for the effort. I would but I’m not currently built like that. That’s why when [mention]Warren-RB [/mention]said that he had spindles and all that I was all ears.

I am very interested in the RB setup here but for the sake of sharing knowledge, here’s the Wilwood Aero4 links that I mentioned above.

For the front: https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-13887-R

For the rear. https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/B...4 Big Brake Rear Electronic Parking Brake Kit

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #30
I am no expert either but I think I can help explain and share what I’ve learned so far from my other conversations. Someone correct me if I’m wrong please.

Current ePB is integrated into the OEM caliper. To upgrade the caliper to aftermarket 4pot and keep ePB capabilities, a company would need to create a compatible 4pot caliper with an integrated ePB that mounts using the same mounting points or uses a bracket - and uses a compatible electronic interface (I’m not sure if they’re standardized). The only one I’ve seen to date is Rotora. That’s why [mention]Warren-RB [/mention] is saying the most cost effective way is to stay with existing caliper and just upgrade the rotor. And he’s right.

Alternatively, with the right cash, risk and patience, one could mount a 4pot caliper (w/o ePB) AND a separate ePB specific caliper in tandem - like below.

However.....This requires an electronic interface for the ePB caliper to talk to the oem computer. One such thing does exist over at Wilwood. I’ve spoken to them and a custom shop they’ve referred me to. This Wilwood rear kit (I’ve been told) will fit the Explorer rear with an appropriately created bracket and MIGHT be able to interface with the OEM ePB controller. The only way to know compatibility for certain would be to spend a lot of cash to be a guinea pig. Plus the guy I was talking with wanted me to buy front and rear spindles for the effort. I would but I’m not currently built like that. That’s why when [mention]Warren-RB [/mention]said that he had spindles and all that I was all ears.

I am very interested in the RB setup here but for the sake of sharing knowledge, here’s the Wilwood Aero4 links that I mentioned above.

For the front: https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-13887-R

For the rear. https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitListRear?mincatdesc=AERO4 Big Brake Rear Electronic Parking Brake Kit

I’m guessing they sent you to Little Shop? They’ve done this on late model F150’s using the same 16” front rotor and 6 piston caliper for the front of those trucks plus the extra epb. Luckily mine had a normal parking brake so I just had their normal kits on my 16 F150.

Reactions
Trackhawk has a drum brake (for parking as well as emengency) independent from the brake hydraulic system, Trackhawk has a 4 pot fixed piston calipers (pistons come in on both sides) for the regular braking.

Yes, Explorer ST rear can only stay with OE single "floating" caliper (piston moves only one side, the other side is closed in by the bracket) in order to maintain the rear parking integrity. The ePB on the rear has become more prevalent for OE rear since mid 2010, mainly for cost saving and weight reduction however it can only be used for "Parking", but not "emergency" like a drum brake that's built into the rotor hat.

Our similar recent rear BBK development as Explorer, others like Ford Focus RS, VW R32 etc. were used on tracks w/very satisfactory result.

View this thread for Porsche 993 Turbo rear rotors discussing about the rear drum brakes with illustration.

Reactions
I’m guessing they sent you to Little Shop? They’ve done this on late model F150’s using the same 16” front rotor and 6 piston caliper for the front of those trucks plus the extra epb. Luckily mine had a normal parking brake so I just had their normal kits on my 16 F150.
Yeah. I do t recall the name of the shop but I quickly grew tired of the guy shaming me for wanting to upgrade my brakes. I’m more than happy with the engagement of [mention]Warren-RB [/mention]and the https://racingbrake.com website. Lots of info. Time to start saving up.

Reactions

For the rear. https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitListRear?mincatdesc=AERO4 Big Brake Rear Electronic Parking Brake Kit

Well explained - Thank you.
Our brake development has these goal in mind:

1. Retain OE integrity
2. Without compromising to safety.
3. Easy to install.
4. Affordable.

To achieve all above, the design and production process is more involved and costly for a manufacturer like us.

On some high end motorsports cars recently released like Mustang GT500 and Corvette C8 their rear typically has a 3rd brake driven via electronic motor (ePB) exclusively for "Parking", but for aftermarket like Wilwood's "add-on" it's probably more for off-road applications which we don't offer, however for those come with OE's 3rd brake we do offer a BBK such as this one for Corvette C8 rear (Oversizing from OE's 340x26 to 390x28)

This is our CCB upgrade rotor kit for C8 rear (350x27mm) showing stock regular and 3rd brake.

Last edited:
Reactions
The rear BBK is designed as 380mm so it can well match to the front kit w/380mm rotors:

1. RB 6 Pot caliper kit: https://racingbrake.com/2667-k
2. Jeep SRT8 (WK2) caliper kit: https://racingbrake.com/2666

This rear BBK is also an excellent upgrade for those ST owners with non-sports models and did'nt what how to deal with "Dealers" in upgrading their brakes to "Sports", all you have to do is to acquire the rear "Red" calipers per our description or contact us for assistance, we can include the calipers in the kit but they would have to be new while you can save some money in buying used calipers from eBay.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
The rear BBK is designed as 380mm so it can well match to the front kit w/380mm rotors:

1. RB 6 Pot caliper kit: https://racingbrake.com/2667-k
2. Jeep SRT8 (WK2) caliper kit: https://racingbrake.com/2666

This rear BBK is also an excellent upgrade for those ST owners with non-sports models and did'nt what how to deal with "Dealers" in upgrading their brakes to "Sports", all you have to do is to acquire the rear "Red" calipers per our description or contact us for assistance, we can include the calipers in the kit but they would have to be new while you can save some money in buying used calipers from eBay.
Are you also available to help source WK2 calipers as well? Does that usually end up being the more "affordable" route or is your in-house caliper a better deal? I know that its a weird question, asking that--but what would be the pros/cons of a WK2 front kit vs your RB front kit?

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #36
The WK2 Brembo calipers are cheap on eBay.

Reactions
Are you also available to help source WK2 calipers as well? Does that usually end up being the more "affordable" route or is your in-house caliper a better deal? I know that its a weird question, asking that--but what would be the pros/cons of a WK2 front kit vs your RB front kit?
Yes we can add WK2 calipers as option.

We think it's better for us just to present the available caliper options for user to do their own research and decision. As you can see our calipers are more refined build while some may prefer to have "Brembo" logo, here are some differences:

In short you can say WK2 caliper is a retrofit stock lilke Jeep SRT8, and RB6M is a custom upgrade kit.

Some pics on RB front 6 pot caliper (Hard anodized finish) kit installed on a Viper.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
This is perfect. Thank you.

Reactions
The hard anodized finish shown on Viper kit is more favorable by track guys as it's finish will not fade or chip like powder coating under repeated heat cycles, but for Explorer ST you may want to add a color to match with your car.

Here is our standard colors (red is default, other color is subject to price adder)

Reactions
This souring matrix gives you a clear idea of brake upgrade option for ALL ST (Base or Sports Models):

Feel free to let us know if needs clarification.

Last edited: