Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Phone Call Echo

Reactions
Your issue sounds different than mine. My Bluetooth issue is the other side of the phone hears distortion after some mins of conversation. If I click the Private conversation button and then back to Bluetooth button (through the speakers), it goes away (temporarily). I never heard the problem on my side.

Glad you got yours working again.
Yes Kegs you have the same issue as rest of us. No help from Ford...

Reactions
I had a Ford engineer work on my ST for a day. He was unable to fix the IACC and Bluetooth echo issue. Ford currently doesn't have a solution for either one.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Took my ST in for an oil change today. Technician said it's a little known issue. They have to order a module to replace behind the infotainment screen. We will see in a few days.

KegsBdry

Reactions
If it's connected via bluetooth, cell phone make doesn't matter, it will echo eventually. Call the service advisor while driving, after 5-10 minutes it will start echoing on him. We have found if your not driving (moving) it may not echo, which maybe what the dealers are doing that can't duplicate the issue. See work around above, provide your dealer with the Ford Case # CAS-28911596-V6L1C7 that all service personnel can see in Ford's OASIS tracking system. We have Not duplicate with Apple CarPlay which does Not use bluetooth.
I take it this issue is still unresolved?

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I did some research on this and I think the problem is more the phone and not the car. (just google the phone echo problem...) It's still not clear how to fix it, but for some reason the phone's microphone switches back on when it should stay muted while using the car's microphone. When I call my friend in his Toyota 4Runner, I get the same issue and hear an echo. That said, there could be something to the car being the problem since no one tells me I echo when I call them from a different car. I might try unpairing the phone from the car and re-establish the connection.

Reactions
I did some research on this and I think the problem is more the phone and not the car. (just google the phone echo problem...) It's still not clear how to fix it, but for some reason the phone's microphone switches back on when it should stay muted while using the car's microphone. When I call my friend in his Toyota 4Runner, I get the same issue and hear an echo. That said, there could be something to the car being the problem since no one tells me I echo when I call them from a different car. I might try unpairing the phone from the car and re-establish the connection.
I have a hard time believing that it's a phone issue, the issue exists with many different phone makers, Apple, and Android. I've un-paired, done a master reset, upgraded the sync system and still have the problem.

Reactions
Same story but six hard resets. Works great in my 2019 Expedition max can't get to work in my ST. Samsung Galaxy note 10 user.

Reactions
It worked perfectly in my previous 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum

Z06

Reactions
I take it this issue is still unresolved?
Correct, still unresolved.

Wife just selects the "privacy button twice" approximately every 5 minutes when connected thru bluetooth. Extremely annoying, a couple of her customers have told to take it back to Ford and tell them to keep it...(I used here the socially polite words). GM and Jeep I know for a fact does not have this issue. My wife has also been talking to others and got the echo on her end, and every time they are driving a Ford. The wife has now upgraded to a iphone12 and this echo issue doesn't occur IF she connects with the cable and uses Apple CarPlay.

Sorry about the case number I provided not working as I was told others could reference it.
I'm calling again tomorrow with our case # I posted here, for update and why can't others see this number...

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I’ve spoken to F150 owners and have gotten the echo from their trucks for several years. I kept telling my friend it was his phone cover. The mic is buried deep but now I’m sure it’s more than that. Never had anyone tell me it was a problem on my F150. That of course doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

bigshorty

Reactions
I have a 2020 Explorer ST and also have the echo/static issue as reported by anyone I talk to for 10+ minutes. I have replaced my Pixel 3 with a S21 and the problem still exists. My "fix" is to unplug the USB cable from the phone. It resolves the issue temporarily but will reoccur shortly after plugging the cable back in.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I've gotten to the point to making an excuse up front on a call and to ask them to let me know when it occurs. Then do the double press of the privacy button.

Talk about a major screw up on behalf of Ford's engineers. Did anyone try making a call for more than 10 mins in testing?! Come on! Quality control department needs overhauling.

Z06

Reactions
I've gotten to the point to making an excuse up front on a call and to ask them to let me know when it occurs. Then do the double press of the privacy button.

Talk about a major screw up on behalf of Ford's engineers. Did anyone try making a call for more than 10 mins in testing?! Come on! Quality control department needs overhauling.
EXACTLY!!

Reactions
some news here
I was on the chat with Ford and they asked me to turn Noise reduction ON and seems like that helped in my case
I use iPhone 11 Pro Max
Settings->Accessibility->Audio/Visual->Phone Noise Cancellation turn ON

They also asked me to reset the radio module

To perform a reset:
Select Radio. For information on how to change the input source, please refer to the Owner's Manual.
Hold the Power button (center of the volume knob) + the Right-Seek button at the same time for up to 5 seconds.
The display will indicate when the module is resetting. You may then release the buttons.

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
some news here
I was on the chat with Ford and they asked me to turn Noise reduction ON and seems like that helped in my case
I use iPhone 11 Pro Max
Settings->Accessibility->Audio/Visual->Phone Noise Cancellation turn ON
This is interesting. I'll give it a try.

Reactions
Hello forum members. Any updates on this problem?
I have taken my car to three different dealers in Michigan hoping to find one who knows/understands/have heard of this problem to no avail! All they do is tell me they found no codes, they reset the sync system tell me everything checked out fine!
It is frustrating not being able to talk on the phone for more than 3 minutes before the other side asks to hang up because of a horrible echo!
I have been doing a lot of online search about a possible solve. I came
across similar complaints from people over the years who owned different cars from ford focus to Volkswagens and even people shared the same problem when they used their headphones . The most common explanation is that it is a carrier or phone specific problem that has to do with VOLTE or voice over LTE technology. This is something I can disable on my Samsung phone Under advanced calling feature in settings but the problem is the voice quality becomes terrible. I am going to try it all week this week and report back

Reactions
I have taken my car to three different dealers in Michigan hoping to find one who knows/understands/have heard of this problem to no avail! All they do is tell me they found no codes, they reset the sync system tell me everything checked out fine!
It is frustrating not being able to talk on the phone for more than 3 minutes before the other side asks to hang up because of a horrible echo!
across similar complaints from people over the years who owned different cars from ford focus to Volkswagens and even people shared the same problem when they used their headphones . The most common explanation is that it is a carrier or phone specific problem that has to do with VOLTE or voice over LTE technology. This is something I can disable on my Samsung phone Under advanced calling feature in settings but the problem is the voice quality becomes terrible. I am going to try it all week this week and report back
Please keep me updated. I average about 150 calls a day and this system SUCKS!

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have a service appt this coming Monday (17th) and told them I'd like this to be looked at. Not expecting anything to happen, but hopeful someone there knows something. I appreciate you keeping us all posted.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I'm going in tomorrow for a "module replacement behind the infotainment system" that should correct this issue. I'll keep you posted.

But I expect no change whatsoever. :confused:

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Anyone taking odds?