Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Phone Call Echo

Reactions
Here's a quick fix... although you have to do this while someone tells you their echoing. For those having the issue while connected via carplay and Android auto. Always try to plug the device in prior to turning the car on. Wireless users on newer gets is another story. Once the person says they hear them self echoing. From the sync screen switch from car to bluetooth, speaker phone or headset, then back to the car and this will resolve the issue echo. The echo occurs in most cases when Bluetooth connects before carplay or Android auto. The system is not smart enough to recognize priorities. Likewise anytime anyone hears themselves echoing its due to the bluetooth connection of the phone to the sync system.

For bluetooth users, the same thing applies. Once someone hears themselves echoing, from the sync screen select speakerphone, then back to bluetooth. By doing so you're giving permission to the device, then pushing permission back.

I've experienced this on early sync models since 2016. I don't believe this is going away anytime soon. Hope this can help someone from hanging up and redialing. An extra step we shouldn't have to take at the price we pay for these vehicles, but nonetheless it does work.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I'm reading on other threads that the Sync has an update out today. You know, the one Ford claims will fix our echo issue. Anyone verify this yet?! I'm rushing to my garage right now!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm reading on other threads that the Sync has an update out today. You know, the one Ford claims will fix our echo issue. Anyone verify this yet?! I'm rushing to my garage right now!
just started downloading ~9:20am EDT for me.

bigshorty

Reactions
I installed v3.4.21098 this morning and made a 30-minute call without any static or echoing heard by the person on the other end. Previously, any call ~10 minutes resulted in complaints of static/echoing...so far, so good.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I installed v3.4.21098 this morning and made a 30-minute call without any static or echoing heard by the person on the other end. Previously, any call ~10 minutes resulted in complaints of static/echoing...so far, so good.
That's great news. Further tested needed to confirm its fully fixed.

I cannot seem to update mine yet. It keeps saying I have the latest version, but clearly I don't. :cautious:

I'll have to resort to the manual process.

KegsBdry

Reactions
UPDATE:. Tried 3 phone calls over 20 mins, seems to be working without an echo. (y)

JBD

Reactions
Did the update earlier today and just had a 15 minute call and NO ECHO!!! (y)

Anthonyb97

Reactions
What devices are you guys using that it resolved the echo for any android users on android auto that this has solved the echo.?

KegsBdry

Reactions
What devices are you guys using that it resolved the echo for any android users on android auto that this has solved the echo.?
I'm Android with dual SIM cards (AT&T + Verizon). Device: OnePlus 7 Pro

Works on both carriers & using Android Auto

Last edited:

bigshorty

Reactions
I'm using a Samsung S21 Ultra with Android Auto.

I've made numerous calls with no reports of echoing since the update. One caller did say there were some random, intermittent static noises still but that it was not as loud as before.

KegsBdry

Reactions

I've made numerous calls with no reports of echoing since the update. One caller did say there were some random, intermittent static noises still but that it was not as loud as before.
I was looking to upgrade my phone to a Samsung S21 Ultra. Do you happen to use the dual SIM?

What's your Best PRO/CON switching over to it?

bigshorty

Reactions
I was looking to upgrade my phone to a Samsung S21 Ultra. Do you happen to use the dual SIM?

What's your Best PRO/CON switching over to it?
I haven't used the dual SIM feature yet but on my next overseas trip I can see where it would come in handy.

The S21 is a great phone...I love the camera, video quality and overall processing power. I really wanted it for the 5G capability but honestly in NoVA, even with many towers around, I'm not noticing a great difference over 4G in terms of speed. The biggest con is the Samsung bloatware that you can't remove unless you root the phone.

Last edited:

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

I just got the same phone...excited to go get the DL now as well! thanks for the post.

hbalek

Reactions
I used it for over 15 minute calls several times now and no complaints of echoes or distortion.

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
I haven't used the dual SIM feature yet but on my next overseas trip I can see where it would come in handy.

The S21 is a great phone...I love the camera, video quality and overall processing power. I really wanted it for the 5G capability but honestly in NoVA, even with many towers around, I'm not noticing a great difference over 4G in terms of speed. The biggest con is the Samsung bloatware that you can't remove unless you root the phone.
I recall the days of rooting. Full admin rights on "your" device is necessary.
Thanks for the info.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I used it for over 15 minute calls several times now and no complaints of echoes or distortion.
I've done the same and asked each person I was talking to whether they heard the ECHO, all said "no problem."

KegsBdry

Reactions
Did Ford just solve a problem?!?! [clap][clap]

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Jury is still out. All of my calls have been over 10 but less than 20 minutes but so far so good.

Reactions
Didn't fix it, everything works fine calling out. When a call comes in, is when it gets all finicky and the person can hear them self on android auto. You have to switch to speaker phone back to bluetooth to solve the issue. For some reason the devices microphone gets activated. It has to be an Android Auto issue, not a sync platform issue.