Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Phone Call Echo

Reactions
ugh...we were all pulling for you!
That's for sure, it would be nice if there was a true fix for this. It makes handsfree calling useless and impossible in this.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thanks!

I know HOLDING the radio's POWER button & Fast Forward buttons for 15 secs resets the infotainment screen, does it factory reset it too?

Reactions
Thanks!

I know HOLDING the radio's POWER button & Fast Forward buttons for 15 secs resets the infotainment screen, does it factory reset it too?
Nope, that's a soft reset. You have to go into the settings to do a factory reset.

Here is a video on how it's done:

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
I'm going to take it one step further and factory reset everything to see if it resolves it.

If you change the APIM, wouldn't the settings you (ie, the dashboad) be back to factory settings?

Reactions
I'm going to take it one step further and factory reset everything to see if it resolves it.

If you change the APIM, wouldn't the settings you (ie, the dashboad) be back to factory settings?
I don't know the architecture of the system to say for certain yes or no, but depending on where the setting file is stored it's possible swapping out the APIM wouldn't reset anything

A quick search and I found the following:

The SYNC computer, which Ford calls the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), is housed separately from the head unit, called the Audio Control Module (ACM), and interfaces with all vehicle audio sources as well as the high-speed and medium-speed vehicle CAN-buses.

Source

If this is accurate (sounds like it is) then replacing the APIM wouldn't reset any settings, that would all be in the ACM. Now the question is could it be something in the ACM that causes this problem?

KegsBdry

Reactions
I don't know the architecture of the system to say for certain yes or no, but depending on where the setting file is stored it's possible swapping out the APIM wouldn't reset anything

A quick search and I found the following:

The SYNC computer, which Ford calls the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), is housed separately from the head unit, called the Audio Control Module (ACM), and interfaces with all vehicle audio sources as well as the high-speed and medium-speed vehicle CAN-buses.

Source

If this is accurate (sounds like it is) then replacing the APIM wouldn't reset any settings, that would all be in the ACM. Now the question is could it be something in the ACM that causes this problem?
Great job finding out that information. Damn!

I'll mention the ACM to see if that's a possible permanent fix. I hate being the guinea pig for Ford to figure out what is going wrong. :rolleyes:

Reactions
Great job finding out that information. Damn!

I'll mention the ACM to see if that's a possible permanent fix. I hate being the guinea pig for Ford to figure out what is going wrong. :rolleyes:
Yeah I know what you mean, I feel like lots of people are having this problem too, so I don't understand why Ford hasn't been testing this and having engineers work out the problem.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Dropped the vehicle at the dealership to fix this issue (again). Got an older Explorer as a loaner.

I found an all new appreciation of the ST's interior after seeing an older explorer model.

KegsBdry

Reactions
UPDATE: Got a call from my local Ford dealership stating it's a software fix to this issue. Nothing they can do until the latest update comes out. They expect at least a month until the update releases. :rolleyes:

Got a free detail out of it. But a big ol' waste of my time.

Reactions
UPDATE: Got a call from my local Ford dealership stating it's a software fix to this issue. Nothing they can do until the latest update comes out. They expect at least a month until the update releases. :rolleyes:

Got a free detail out of it. But a big ol' waste of my time.
Did you get any details of what we would ask other dealerships about to validate this? I personally don't trust dealers and what they say if it can't be validated

Reactions
if those details are not in a service invoice, they are likely just blowing smoke.

Reactions
I have a similar issue, my voice will go robotic after ~10 minutes on a call and cycling privacy on and off resets it temporarily.

I am wondering how many of you (I have) made any changes with forscan maybe to shut off the fake engine noise? Could a change like that cause an issue like this?

KegsBdry

Reactions
if those details are not in a service invoice, they are likely just blowing smoke.
It wasn't a full detail, but they vacuumed and armoroled the vehicle. It came back cleaner than it went into the shop. It's a small WIN.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Did you get any details of what we would ask other dealerships about to validate this? I personally don't trust dealers and what they say if it can't be validated
Ford stated: " The big fix was replacing the APIM. If it persists, there is nothing else hardware-wise for Ford to replace. The next steps (if already fully upgraded to the latest build #) is to wait on Ford to push the fix down in an upgrade. Probably a month out." See the Broadcast Message below.

Ford's Service Mgr did provide the number to Ford's consumer affairs hotline 800-392-3673. I think if we all call in on the same issue and expect restitution, perhaps it'll be an avenue to a permanent fix. UPDATE: Case No. CAS-32103368-T6Q9N8 

I'm guessing your dealerships said the same?

Broadcast Message.png

Last edited:

TheJonse

Reactions
I have a similar issue, my voice will go robotic after ~10 minutes on a call and cycling privacy on and off resets it temporarily.

I am wondering how many of you (I have) made any changes with forscan maybe to shut off the fake engine noise? Could a change like that cause an issue like this?
One successful call and then the problem came back, I get robotic voices and echo, I also have the engine noises turned off in Forscan.

Reactions

I've had the echo issue since day one, even before I started changing a few things with FORScan, but I never disabled the FENG either.

Reactions
First I wanted to say I don't own an explorer, but what I do own are SuperDuty trucks. So I wanted to point out a few things here. The hardware/Software across Fords line is relatively the same from vehicle to vehicle.

This problem ALSO exists in may F-Series trucks as well. I mainly focus on the SuperDuty line being thats what I have in my fleet at work and personally.

To start, 1 out of the bunch (2020 F250) has the exact same issue many of you speak of. This is indeed software related in regards to the APIM. Everything was 100% fine with the bluetooth connectivity and call clarity until I did an update sometime last December 2020. This truck was Built January 2020. That update destroyed the bluetooth call capability and the infamous "ECHO" started. Much testing has been done on both the phone side and the truck module side to see what was at fault. Many phones tested on several trucks and thousands of dollars later.... it still echos.

Being I have Fords dealer software at my fingertips, I usually update my own trucks at my leisure... Like you all with Explorers, I am awaiting a software fix for this issue.

This also came into play when many laws in regards to how your phone listens to you went into affect for things like "Hey Google" or Hey Bixby" or "Hey Siri". There is a disconnect (no pun intended) with when and how the phone starts listening when connected to bluetooth.

Very Frustrating, I have been following this page patiently awaiting to see if anyone came through with a breakthrough.

I have tried every last option one could to test this and have come to the conclusion with Ford that it is indeed software related.

Ford has ALWAYS had whats referred to as the "BlueTooth LAG". But it never really affected the call, only the audio if streaming a video. In the ERA of 5G and digitized calls, things have greatly changed...

As soon as I see a new software update for the APIM I will download it immediately via FDRS (Fords software).

KegsBdry

Reactions
Since Ford is leaving us on the fence until they get around to finding a permanent fix. I started looking into fixes that would help from the smartphone's side of the equitation. This may not work for everyone, but this could be helpful to those that are Android users.

https://demcrumbliesreviews.com/fix-bluetooth-audio-stuttering-on-android-phones/
I'm scrolling down to this section:
Next, Change Bluetooth Playback Quality In Developer Options

As an Android user (OnePlus 7 Pro), I'll see if this makes any difference what-so-ever!

Reactions
Since Ford is leaving us on the fence until they get around to finding a permanent fix. I started looking into fixes that would help from the smartphone's side of the equitation. This may not work for everyone, but this could be helpful to those that are Android users.

https://demcrumbliesreviews.com/fix-bluetooth-audio-stuttering-on-android-phones/
I'm scrolling down to this section:
Next, Change Bluetooth Playback Quality In Developer Options

As an Android user (OnePlus 7 Pro), I'll see if this makes any difference what-so-ever!
I hope for your sake it does.

I have tried this with Android and iPhone as I have both.