Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Phone Call Echo

KegsBdry

Reactions
Didn't fix it, everything works fine calling out. When a call comes in, is when it gets all finicky and the person can hear them self on android auto. You have to switch to speaker phone back to bluetooth to solve the issue. For some reason the devices microphone gets activated. It has to be an Android Auto issue, not a sync platform issue.
I've been on at least 10 calls over 10 mins since the update. It fixed my issues with the echo feedback from before.

What 'build' version is your Sync 3.4?

Other things to try, FACTORY RESET the Infotainment system. The dealership replaced my APIM as well. Might be something to try/ask the dealership.

Reactions
The problem has to be android auto on certain android device. Not ford's units. I'm afraid you're just getting lucky or your phone isn't an issue. I tested it again today with my own devices. I picked up a call on my s21 ultra while connected to android auto. And shut the door, and talked while on another phone. I could hear myself talking, it was echoing. After further investigation the phones microphones are for some reason getting activated causing the echo. Seems to be a priority issue, I don't understand why the phone would even be granted microphone access while connected via USB to android auto or even Bluetooth.... specifically speaking with phone calls. Anytime you toggle to handset, or speaker then back to Bluetooth the echo is gone. I sat in the car for about an hour messing with settings on the phone with no luck. I want to capture a bug report and have samsung and android autos team look into this.

Tons of people have this issue, and it's not just ford vehicles.

For those that think they have fixed it. Try getting in your car, wait until Bluetooth connects, then plug the device in for android auto and see if the echo is there. If I plug my phone in first then start the car 9 times out of 10 there's no echo.

hbalek

Reactions
I never used Android Auto and i had the frequent echo. Since the last Sync update there has been no echo at all consistently on long calls.

KegsBdry

Reactions
The problem has to be android auto on certain android device. Not ford's units. I'm afraid you're just getting lucky or your phone isn't an issue. I tested it again today with my own devices. I picked up a call on my s21 ultra while connected to android auto. And shut the door, and talked while on another phone. I could hear myself talking, it was echoing. After further investigation the phones microphones are for some reason getting activated causing the echo. Seems to be a priority issue, I don't understand why the phone would even be granted microphone access while connected via USB to android auto or even Bluetooth.... specifically speaking with phone calls. Anytime you toggle to handset, or speaker then back to Bluetooth the echo is gone. I sat in the car for about an hour messing with settings on the phone with no luck. I want to capture a bug report and have samsung and android autos team look into this.

Tons of people have this issue, and it's not just ford vehicles.

For those that think they have fixed it. Try getting in your car, wait until Bluetooth connects, then plug the device in for android auto and see if the echo is there. If I plug my phone in first then start the car 9 times out of 10 there's no echo.
Didn't you mostly solve your issue in the last sentence? Just do that every time and you're good. :unsure:

Reactions
Didn't you mostly solve your issue in the last sentence? Just do that every time and you're good. :unsure:
For the most part yes, but there's a handful of times you just get in the car and go. With that being said I usually just toggle between speaker phone, headset, and bluetooth when it happens. The issue is the phones microphones get activated for some reason. I just turned off the "Ok google" detection because that's the only thing I can think of that would allow the mic to be hot, waiting to test to submit a bug report to Android Auto if it fixes it.

Reactions
I never used Android Auto and i had the frequent echo. Since the last Sync update there has been no echo at all consistently on long calls.
So this solved your echo on bluetooth only, not android auto or car play. Just the factory bluetooth?

hbalek

Reactions
So this solved your echo on bluetooth only, not android auto or car play. Just the factory bluetooth?
Yes just using Sync bluetooth there is no more echo. I don't know about Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yes just using Sync bluetooth there is no more echo. I don't know about Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.
Same here.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I'm not sure about your phones. But when I use Android Auto, it turns ON Bluetooth on my phone and syncs to the vehicle. Therefore, Bluetooth is required for Android Auto to work. At least it does for me. o_O

Steve D

Reactions
I have a 2020 ST and the problem is intermittent and their since I purchased it. It seems to be a problem with the hands free setup . I have used several phones and have the problem only in my vehicle. When using them in another vehicle (rental, ect) that is another manufacturer there is no echo. I have also used one ot the phones for quite a while in my previous vehicle (a Dodge) without any problem. I was told by the dealer there is a blue-tooth issue that is being addressed and may be related to this problem, I am still waiting

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have a 2020 ST and the problem is intermittent and their since I purchased it. It seems to be a problem with the hands free setup . I have used several phones and have the problem only in my vehicle. When using them in another vehicle (rental, ect) that is another manufacturer there is no echo. I have also used one ot the phones for quite a while in my previous vehicle (a Dodge) without any problem. I was told by the dealer there is a blue-tooth issue that is being addressed and may be related to this problem, I am still waiting
It sounds like the SYNC update that is coming should fix this issue.

Wkronfeld

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 bronco sport
2022 - this issue is back!
Bronco sport is proudly reporting for duty!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I constantly run into the echo problem on my ‘21 ST, paired in Bluetooth with my iPhone
its strange because it often happens after talking on the phone for A few moments, and the person on the far end gets the echo
if I go toggle the Bluetooth it fixes the problem, temporarily.

annoying for work calls

hbalek

Reactions
I constantly run into the echo problem on my ‘21 ST, paired in Bluetooth with my iPhone
its strange because it often happens after talking on the phone for A few moments, and the person on the far end gets the echo
if I go toggle the Bluetooth it fixes the problem, temporarily.

annoying for work calls
Most people who had this myself included resolved this with updating the Sync 3 software.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I also experienced this. I've had zero issues since the most recent software update.