Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New SYNC Update 23188

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Why do you do a master reset?
Sync settings/General/(Master) Reset. You will need to redo all your settings.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
So far I haven't needed a master reset or a soft reset since the update a week ago!
I had to do at least 1 soft reset a day pre-update. Haven't needed to since. In fact, I couldn't do a master reset, it would just freeze after I pushed "continue".
I'm wondering if and/or why it would be suggested to perform a master reset after completing the 23188 reset?

Reactions
Quick question to who ever has installed it and been using it for the past week.
Has any of the original memory issues came back?

Asking because I was talking to my dealer, and I was told that this new one may not fix the original issues and it's a temporary update from Ford.

The person on the phone might be wrong, as they might be looking to avoid a (my) second visit.
I've only driven mine about 5 times since updating, but so far it has not been on AM at all when I start it up. Haven't had a blue screen backing up either, but that was kind of sporadic before the update, maybe once a week I'd get the blue screen.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Quick question to who ever has installed it and been using it for the past week.
Has any of the original memory issues came back?

Asking because I was talking to my dealer, and I was told that this new one may not fix the original issues and it's a temporary update from Ford.

The person on the phone might be wrong, as they might be looking to avoid a (my) second visit.
It has been a week today that I did the software update and all is working as it should. Maintaining all settings and the gremlins seems to be gone.

philcwood

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
The website is not showing an update for me, keep trying to give me 22251. Should I update to this and then try again?
I’m just guessing here but Ford may prefer to keep updates in sequential order. Also it may take overnight for the database to register the update and cue up the next one. Just don’t leave 22251 in place for long. Once memory is full it’s a task to update.

philcwood

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I've only driven mine about 5 times since updating, but so far it has not been on AM at all when I start it up. Haven't had a blue screen backing up either, but that was kind of sporadic before the update, maybe once a week I'd get the blue screen.
I’ve had 23188 installed about a month. I drive daily and it performs as it should now with no signs of settings reverted.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Solid for a few weeks but then again I never had any of the problems discussed here with previous versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #109
Solid for a few weeks but then again I never had any of the problems discussed here with previous versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same for me.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thankyou everyone for the feedback.
I updated it myself and it went smooth. (10 mis for installation from USB)
I also updated the *.xml file back in ford webpage and it is showing the latest version almost immediately.

1694469360912.png

And like everyone else happy to report everything seems to be working as expected.
The Ford pass now is showing the updated vehicle status. (was not showing correct info before update)

Did not update the maps as I use google maps & Waze most of the time.
It still show complimentary even though I have updated it once in Jan.

Draco-REX

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Updated mine to 23188 from 21098. When I first tried to update I let it go for an hour but it never finished. I read someone here who had success by just leaving the USB stick in (can't find that post right now) so I did the same. On the way home from work the next day it finished the update. I didn't get the XML file, but SYNC shows Build 23188 and I now have voice prompts. The whole system runs better now too.

hollyed06

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I’m new to the Ford Explorer. I have a 2020 ST and recently having been having issues with the display and sync. Mostly the same issues everyone else has been posting. Just wanted to check if I’m running the current version or not? This is all new for me, so please bare with me as I’m learning. Thanks!

Attachments

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #113
I’m new to the Ford Explorer. I have a 2020 ST and recently having been having issues with the display and sync. Mostly the same issues everyone else has been posting. Just wanted to check if I’m running the current version or not? This is all new for me, so please bare with me as I’m learning. Thanks!
Your on the old version that has caused issues for a lot of people. Go to Ford Owners and download the new version 233188 and follow the directions to download and install it. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

yettihead

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST - Infinite Blue Metallic
No, you are running the older version that had all the issues. You want to update to 23188 which can be done vis wifi or through the webiste and downloaded to a usb stick.

hollyed06

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Your on the old version that has caused issues for a lot of people. Go to Ford Owners and download the new version 233188 and follow the directions to download and install it. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Ok, I have downloaded the files to a USB. I tried to update it earlier and it took forever. I eventually had to quit it. I’ll have to try another day when I have more time. How long does this typically take to update? Do I have to leave the car running the whole time?

Reactions
Ok, I have downloaded the files to a USB. I tried to update it earlier and it took forever. I eventually had to quit it. I’ll have to try another day when I have more time. How long does this typically take to update? Do I have to leave the car running the whole time?
Hi, just the ignition on, engine off. This update took just a few minutes. I don't even think you would need a battery charger. Turn the lights off.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #117
For me it took about 20 minutes. I just turned the ignition on but did not start the Explorer. Just make sure your battery is good. I hooked up a trickle charger while doing this.

Reactions
For me it took about 20 minutes. I just turned the ignition on but did not start the Explorer. Just make sure your battery is good. I hooked up a trickle charger while doing this.
I did hook up a charger too, but it did not take as long as the last one.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #119
I did hook up a charger too, but it did not take as long as the last one.
I figure the charger is cheap insurance. Plus my battery is pushing 4 years old.

Explorer ST Posts